MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Just curious if anyone knows an answer to my question.

A while ago I burnt my arm pretty severely and now that it is healing I am having problems with it.

So what I was wondering is if it is normal for sharp pains and tingly feelings to be going through the upper part of my arm (around the wound itself) while my nerves are repairing themselves?

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
It is normal in most of occasions, cuz it's healing and skin is regenerating. But I can be mistaken, you'd better ask Mr Lighntning =)
And get well hug

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've unfortunately had a lot of experience with nerve damage. they do all sorts of weird things.

They do heal, but slowly. from my experience they repair themselves at about a couple centimeters a month. add some time for your brain to rewire to interprete the new nerve input too...

never had nerve damage from a burn - it must have been pretty deep! All my nerve damamge experience comes from lacerations and a bout of Bell's Palsey. In all cases the regrowth period was uncomfortable in some way or other.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

flamazinejourneyman
91 posts

Posted:
I burnt my arm about a month or so ago. As it was healing I was feeling some strange sensations and the doctor said that due to the nerve damage the signals get mixed up so you can feel tickles as heat etc.

How bad is your burn and when did you do it? Mine was mostly 1st degree with some 2nd and a small bit of 3rd degree. I had it dressed with old fashioned iodine bandages (they sting!) and it's now nearly healed.

A funny thing happened the other day, I had a close encounter with a wasp and my burn started stinging - the wasp didn't sting me but my brain and nerves were telling me to get the f*ck away from the wasp! Bit like Harry Potter's scar!

To be on the safe side, go back to casualty or your doctor and tell them of your concerns, just in case there is something really wrong with your arm, better to be safe than sorry!

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Nerve damage can be permanent and irreversible... if you have any doubts I'd say ask your doctor, the sooner the better. Hope it heals well hug

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
unfortunately there is little a doctor can actually do about nerves unless there is a clean cut in a large one that can be immediately stitched back together before the severed end dies - and even then it will not function correctly for a while.

While nerve damamge can be permanent (I can attest to this - about 1/4 of the surface feeling on my left leg is buggered), limited nerve damage in a small area often recovers completely - except sometimes in places like finger tips where there is a lot of nerve density. and the younger you are, the more it is likely to recover.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I've been in your shoes, I really suggest seeing a doctor. I burned my leg and didn't see a dr for two weeks. Right about then the nerve roots started regenerating and then came the pain. The problem with third degree burns is that you don't feel them, so you don't think it's that bad.

See a doctor, your biggest concern now is infection. If that sucker gets infected your in trouble. Big trouble.

Again see a doctor and make sure it's being treated properly.
smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Oh the burn is actually almost healed now.

I got it four or so weeks ago. Burnt myself with cages (molten steel) I stuffed up a move and ended up with a bit of steel smoldering on my shoulder for a while.

It was a third degree burn in the centre (which is still healing but seems to be coming along quite nicely)...the pain I am feeling is under my skin.

The doctor hasn't told me much of a muchness about what type of pain I am going to go through with the nerve regeneration.

I was very careful with treating the actual burn. Lots of anti bactierial dressings, regularly cleaning it.

I think that is why it is healing nicely without too much scarring because I have treated it so well.

But this nerve thing is very painful (more painful than the burn itself was).

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I had an unfortunate run in with a 7ft Mako shark of the coast of Portugal when I was 16, it grabbed my arm and pulled me under, shook me around a bit then let go, after going to hospital the doctors said I could have reconstructive surgery on my nerves and that I probably needed it in order to probably write again and things, but at the time I chose not to and I felt confident that my body could recontruct itself, and it has mostly, at the start my fingers tingled a LOT and also my last two fingers had a habit of curling on their own and stuff, but now it has mostly gone but has the odd twitch and things.

Bottom line kids, dont go swimming in shark infested water!

Hows your arm getting along now?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Still tingling and giving sharp jabs (feels like someone is sticking a really large needle in my arm).

The burn is almost gone thankfully. The scarring is going to be a bit of a witch with a capital B but I have been putting my vitamin E cream on it to try minimise it.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I cut the end of my finger off when I was 8, not knowing what to do with the flesh I stuck it back on, bandaged it up and left it. The sensation returned , albeit very slightly altered, about 10 years ago.

Incedentally, I saw something on one of those "isn't the future going to be great" programmes about some surgeon who found that if you stick some PTFE (goretex) between severed ends of major nerves it aids the regrowth quite dramatically.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Well can we have some cool burn pics to see Medusa?

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Didn't take any pics...blech...I'll get my room mate to take some of the scarring though if you really want...

*mumbles* sick sick people *mumbles*

hehehehe

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
hey medusa...
use tee tree oil for the scarring also...
it helps about as much as the vit E...
together they generally get rid of most scars...

I have a huge burn (3rd degree) on my arm, from a crazy party trick (before i even started playing with fire toys!). I did not really treat the scar properly so it's quite ugly! but i just treated it as i normally treat any wound.. with betadine and some general 1st aid dressings! healed fine, no loss of nerve reaction or response! my body tends to regen very well, and quickly... and if i treat against scarification (unless i'm lazy) they tend to dissapear entirely...

perhaps i'm just lucky!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

flamazinejourneyman
91 posts

Posted:
I like my wounds to produce scars, I love them, I've got a big one across my back, upper right arm and left forearm from a pot of tea when I was 18 months old and since then I've been collecting various different ones, the burn I got about a month ago on my arm should scar as a bit is 3rd degree. You need the scars as a pictoral aid to telling the story of how you got it!

Medusa - what date did you get your burn, mine was 2nd April - It'd be strange if we both burnt our arms at the same time!

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
6th of April was my burn date. Not too far off.

Captain_Hi_TopBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
i backed into a heater when i was 5 got a nasty maze looking scar, its healed up pretty good but i still got a numb spot in the middle of it. the scar was my whole back it got smaller as i got bigger- the numb spot is the same though

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw
a revolver at him?

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
nothing beats a shark bite scar tongue