Forums > Videos > First proof of life on planet Ry

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hi all~ biggrin

Pretty excited today. Got my head around Adobe Premiere, divx, virtualdub and spymac webhosting to bring to you my first poi video!

woo..

Yes well anyway. Just a couple of notes beforehand. I've only been poi-ing 3 months now, so my planes are horrific- I especially apologise in advance for so cruelly murdering an antispin flower. frown

But yes. All just a bit of fun really.

Ry & fun with poi 30/04/05 (right click, 'Save Target As')

Catch up soon hug

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
lol i wasn't thinking of it in that sense! tongue

yeah thats fine with toy saxes and all but noooobody is gonna be swinging my sax around! eek *defensively guards her sax*

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patrick the Bubba Badger

Nice! smile

Written by: myco

very nice mr. ry, me likes. hug pity my stoopid computer didn't show me the whole thing at once. it took a lot of patience to get it all, but i saw yooo!

Thanks both of you! ubbangel myco, I'm amazed you kept trying to get it to work, given how annoying the computer problems sounded wink hug hug

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Yup nice vid alright, chilled out music and nice spinning smile you're going to be unreal in another few months, you [censored] smile

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
lol ubblol

I've never been called a censored in a kinder way. Thanks muchly, Mot smile

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Downloading now. I'll give a verdict on it soon.

Although i have to warn you that I tend to grade poi harshly....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Have you met Arsn then....?

Meh

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
lol! I'm not very hopeful on the verdict- been watching all you UK folk and have developed a very severe inferiority complex. redface

Yes I have met Mr Troy and the lovely Miss Kris biggrin Brisbane's tiny.. why?

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
frown so want to watch but can't download for some reason.

Gayle.....!

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Impressive stuff, you did lie when you said that you only spun for three months right? You did, did you?

Keep up the good work.

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
So sorry Gayle.. I hope spymac's not acting up again.. Those fellas do tend to drift in and out of consciousness.. Right click 'save target as' again?

Thanks muchly Fuero! No no.. That's indeed a 3 month clip. I'm a bit afraid that a year from now I'd have nothing new though ubblol However, I'm practicing my waistwraps now and can do them fairly alright. Need to make it look cleaner though.

smile

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
frown still doesn't work. Can you send it to me another way?

Gayle.....!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Sure thing! PMing you right now biggrin

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Nice vid Ry!

I like the general flowyness and vibe a lot peace

nice tune too smile

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Thanks Jo, much appreciated biggrin Btw, I quite like your noose poi. Any burny pics?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Yup... just uploaded to my gallery. Won't be there long though because, um, I hate it. smile

Jo.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
They look like they burn pretty well Jo- started to look like mesmerising giant fans after a while.. Can't see what's hateable though..

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Right - as promised smile

Things that made fairy grin:
- your lovely hat ubbrollsmile
- really smooth natural movements especially when doing multi-beat moves (weaves etc) and low torn-related things.
- you move about very nicely while you spin - it's good to see. (don't ever stop!)
- sweet variation with clean isolations, well executed.
- tasty flick of a horizontal stall sticks in my head - good stuff
- nice nice ttn separation thingy works really well with fire
- bouncy lovely track - I like that you can hear the fire still too (in fact I may have to play it lots more just to listen to it lol.....

Things that I think will help:

- some same-time moves (chase the sun) etc which you used could be developed further - especially with stalls
- btb stuff is (IMO) less fluid than all-the-way-round-waistwrappy-stuff and you have a really comfortable style. I think working on the latter will really compliment it.
- some more separation/flower type moves to add some more spacial variation (stretching and changing size of your circles).

biggrin

This is just what I think though smile I LOVE that track! bounce

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Thanks, yeah they burn real well - about 4-5mins solid, then blue for a bit.

As for the hateable stuff, well, maybe hate is too strong a word. I think the same of my noose video as you probably will of 'fun with poi' in a few months... not as good as it could be if you filmed it again. It's a natural thought process in the arts I think.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait for the next one Ry. smile

Jo.

3,638 posts

Posted:
3 months eek NO WAY?! hug2 In that case - wow! Nice work man smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nice stuff - 3 months! eek clap

I'm a big fan of matching clothing to the music (as in my Nearly video) - so I like the BDB hat smile

Lovely spinning though, nice fluidity, nice variation - and smiling biggrin Makes such a difference!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
clap Yeah Ry! i managed to watch it. WOW! very good craps on my skills. Excellent for 3 months and some really lovely tricks. Well Done!

hug
G
x

Gayle.....!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

Right - as promised smile

Things that made fairy grin:
- your lovely hat ubbrollsmile
- really smooth natural movements especially when doing multi-beat moves (weaves etc) and low torn-related things.
- you move about very nicely while you spin - it's good to see. (don't ever stop!)
- sweet variation with clean isolations, well executed.
- tasty flick of a horizontal stall sticks in my head - good stuff
- nice nice ttn separation thingy works really well with fire
- bouncy lovely track - I like that you can hear the fire still too (in fact I may have to play it lots more just to listen to it lol.....

Things that I think will help:

- some same-time moves (chase the sun) etc which you used could be developed further - especially with stalls
- btb stuff is (IMO) less fluid than all-the-way-round-waistwrappy-stuff and you have a really comfortable style. I think working on the latter will really compliment it.
- some more separation/flower type moves to add some more spacial variation (stretching and changing size of your circles).

biggrin

This is just what I think though smile I LOVE that track! bounce

3 months eek NO WAY?! hug2 In that case - wow! Nice work man smile

Thanks fluffster! Yes, isn't that beanie just the most wonderful thing? I even went back to where I bought it in hope that there were more for me stock up on, but alas.. when he got there, the cupboard was bare.. frown

As for smooth natural movements and moving about nicely, those are tremendous compliments, especially coming from you! One thing I'm still working out is how to look non-spastic going from 2:06 to 2:08. Feels anything but natural! Think it may be because I'm not doing a waistwrap to get out of it (if that makes any sense at all..)

Isolations.. I'm working on playing with them a bit more, like turning with them etc. I know how boring an isolation on the left, then the right, and vice versa looks.. Finding buzzsaw isolations tricky though- everytime I dropped out of it, it was because the twist oval chain would get stuck and not turn in my fingers (after having them wrapped once round my palms..) Might be holding them too tight. May look at ballchains sometime in the future..

Ah yes. Bouncy lovely track. bounce bounce2 One of my favourite songs- I knew I wanted a poi video with that track early on, but was so afraid I wouldn't it justice ubblol It's going to be interesting thinking of the track for my 6th month video ubbidea

Hmm.. same-time moves with stalls? hmm. I'll work on that- just as soon as I get my waistwraps figured out! I'm actually pretty much on target- just need to get my planes tweaked when it's going clockwise in front of my right hip..

Spatial variations- flowers/pendulums/giant pirouettes etc- is the one area I know I'm lacking severely in. You'd think I'd get a flower before a waistwrap wouldn't you! I think it also gives away the fact my practice space has a low ceiling ubblol Note to self: flowers.

Yep 3 months of hitting myself silly. For -your- amusement! wink

Thanks for the tips! hug

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jo

Thanks, yeah they burn real well - about 4-5mins solid, then blue for a bit.

As for the hateable stuff, well, maybe hate is too strong a word. I think the same of my noose video as you probably will of 'fun with poi' in a few months... not as good as it could be if you filmed it again. It's a natural thought process in the arts I think.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait for the next one Ry. smile

Jo.

Hey that sounds pretty much like my ropes too! Burn for ages then go blue.. I've tried to get the blue to show up in photos, but it just doesn't seem to be picked up very well. I must say though, the blue looks quite nice!

I guess I know what you mean- I'd love to reach the point where I look back and go 'gee.. what possessed me to make that video!'. However, it's always nice having documentary proof of your progress. Given that, I'd love to see a vid of you with the noose these days!

And as for a next one.. Thanks! I can't wait til I -know- enough to make a next one! Worse come to worse, I'll just change the song on this one, tweak the colours and hope noone notices ubblol

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

Nice stuff - 3 months! eek clap

I'm a big fan of matching clothing to the music (as in my Nearly video) - so I like the BDB hat smile

Lovely spinning though, nice fluidity, nice variation - and smiling biggrin Makes such a difference!

Thanks Durbs! I ought to let you know I really enjoyed the Nearly video too. You move really well and radiohead was perfect! Was quite mesmerised.

I actually didn't know that was a BDB look! Love the hat though.. keeps me toasty when my poi aren't around biggrin

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gayle......!

clap Yeah Ry! i managed to watch it. WOW! very good craps on my skills. Excellent for 3 months and some really lovely tricks. Well Done!

hug
G
x

Heya Gayle! I got your note about surviving the msn installation- congrats! Was all prepped to send you the file, but guess you were a step ahead. smile Thanks very much! You know I'm waiting for your video, don't you? biggrin hug

3,638 posts

Posted:
if it helps - I got waistwraps about a two years before flowers - then I have had a very unique learning process as far as timespans go! ubblol

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Oh censored..

Would have be great if you said you got it in 2 weeks.. I'm not sure how I'll cope with 2 years of practising flowers but producing weeds.. ubblol

soapbox

3,638 posts

Posted:
nahhhh - you misunderstand! Got flowers smooth in a couple of days.

But not until 2 years after waistwraps. ubbloco (we had separations back in the day, but the family known as flowers was less explored (not un-heard of, but not widely discussed...) Which puts you at a learning advantage - far more resources to draw from!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

then I have had a very unique learning process ............

ubblol that she does wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

3,638 posts

Posted:
tongue

OFF TOPIC!!!

wink

Page: