Forums > Other Toys > Beginners Juggling Balls

Login/Join to Participate

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
What do you think are the best juggling balls to get for a beginner from the HoP Shop? Ones that won't get damaged when I continually drop them! :P I don't need glowing onces.

Also, what colours? As in...different colours or 3 all the same?

Thanks

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
All personal preference dude.
get whatever colours you like.

When it comes to balls from the HoP shop.
I recommend these if you are learning https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/fire/135/poi/20/detail/7_stage_juggling_ball

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know it's all personal preferance but I don't know what to get! Would different colours be easier to concerntrate on? I dunno

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
i found that what colour it is doesnt matter in that area.
just get something bright that you like. your eyes are designed to follow movement not colour anyway.

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Are you a complete beginner? If you are I wouldn't learn with stage balls. Everytime you drop them they will roll away from you. You'll end up spending more time chasing them than juggling. Start with seed filled juggling balls such as these . These type land with a thud and don't roll away. It saves you a lot of time and they also feel squishy in your hand which is nice. As for colours I would have different coloured balls to start with so you can see the path each ball takes. That way you can understand better where the balls are going and which is doing what when you work your way up to more complex throwing patterns.

I hope that helps biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thats what i was going to say

thd balls are great for beginning, and also for getting good with!

Step (el-nombrie)

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
its just that he was asking what to use from the HoP shop....
i dont think HoP sells seeds

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think you'll find roarfire is a very pretty young lady and I was only pointing out the fact that learning with stage balls isn't the best idea. Sorry for stepping on your toes. hug

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Heh, thanks Skul *blushes*

Well the order has already been processed, so stage balls it is. Which doesn't really matter because I would be buying them later on anyway. And I got different colours.

Thanks for your help guys smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Different colours are better because when you start to learn tricks you can say everytime the green ball falls in my hand I throw it over the top or wherever. I'd strongly recomend getting bean filled ones, they're a lot easier to learn on, also I think 72mm ones are quite big (but could be wrong), ones that fit neatly into your hands are a lot better.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
prickly leaf: different sized hands etc....

next time ur in melbourne, if its on a sunday, go to the market under swanston st bridge (sundays only) they have three different types of balls (all bean filled) but all feel real different, plus you can mix and match colors.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
No I was just wrong! realised they're about average size!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm so hopeless at juggling. I feel as though I ordered the balls and the book for no reason. I can't do it. Practising gets me so stressed I was at the point of tears one night! I would be able to do it easily if I could just throw it straight, it either goes forward or just everywhere. I've tried lowering my hands and whatever else the book tells me to but I can't do it. ubbcrying

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
don't expect to magically be able to do it!

try doing just one ball for now, throw it how the book tells you and concentrate on gettin it to go across to your other hand and try not to reach up to catch it.

if you find you're throwing away or towards you a lot, try facing a wall while juggling - it gives your brain a clue as to what plane you should be throwing in.

the basics of juggling are really hard to learn compared to the basic of swinging poi so exp[ect it to take ages to sink in and even longer before you can make it look how you want it to.

i've been juggling for coming up for two and a half years and i can only just make my cascade look how i want it to now smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: roarfire

Practising gets me so stressed I was at the point of tears one night!

I remember that feeling! frown Can be very frustrating learning to juggle, especially if it's from a book and you can't really see how the pattern is supposed to work in the first place. I would recommend getting a video of some sort, at least that way you can watch and re-watch exactly how a trick is done. From a book trying to remember where ball number 3 is supposed to be is a real pain! ubbrollsmile

juggling is supposed to be fun - if you can't get a trick and you keep on trying (to the point of tears) stop trying, do something else. I can try and get one trick all night and still not get it. Nice thing is when you come back after a few days, you should find it a lot easier.

juggle

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Christ i know the feeling too.

you should try contact. COntact is the only art where you can practise for 6 hours and get nowhere at all

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
ubblol

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
they should make juggling flick books. a couple of dollars and you should get two tricks. and you can just flick through and watch it in animation. they should also come with a piece of paper telling you how to do it.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pete ...... you have a good idea there. Now go and make some and market them.... it could make you some money!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
they do make juggling flick books.....if only i could remember where...... i'll be back

*engages brain and tries to think* this could take a while!

GarfieldsdoneforBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
preferabley id go to a toy store near by and by some hacky sacks

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Raor fire you could also crotchet the balls. That way if you still cant juggle after 3 years of constantly trying (like me) you will still have pretty homemade balls. Remember in Oz seed travel to WA or SA is not good and you can get fined for it.

Miriam showed me how to make the balls at CG. I figure I can give them away as hackysacks as well. Ive made one now!!

The only way I can come close to juggling is with scarves. They go slow enough to get my head around and arent as easily thrown off track. Maybe make a set of those?

I foind juggling incredibly hard, my throws are really poor I get throw throw drop throw drop drop.... frown

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
https://www.funnyjuggler.com/juggling/index.html
might be of some help, has animations and stuff.

try juggling standing right next to your bed facing it. this makes it a lot easier to pick up the balls when you drop them. also, it stops you from being able to chase them forward.

Other than that, what i did was hold all three, abut just do the first two throws. Lots and lots of times. It helps with starting on both sides, and it's easier to track two balls at first. When you've got that down, the third ball is a lot easier, i found.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

J-Jmember
41 posts

Posted:
If you know anyone who can juggle (and who lives nearby) see if they can give you a hand with learning. Personally I think having a good teacher makes a very big difference, particularly one who will suggest every trick in their repetoire to make the learning process easier for you. I've found that different people respond differently to different teaching techniques. And in all the years I've been teaching juggling I've only met one person who I couldn't teach before I ran out of patience. (no gnor, I'm not referring to you)

Some suggestions: ubbidea
Juggling takes time. Particularly if you're learning on your own. Have patience with yourself. I found the basics of poi and staff quicker to pick up than the basics of juggling

A little practice a day is good. Don't practice so much that it stresses you out. For some reason I find that going away from it for a while tends to improve a trick I'm working on. (don't ask me why this is)

Soft balls - beanbags - are much easier to use than stage balls. I still use them for preference. These are good: https://www.juggleart.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=438&cPath=1_30_43
Alternatively the crotcheted hacky sac's you can get from Australian Geographic shops are pretty good.

Good juggling is all in the throws. So work on your throws, not your catches. If your throws are good, the balls will land in your hands. (normally this is where I do my 'it's even possible to juggle with your eyes shut if you have good throws' demonstration, but as you're on the other side of the country, you probably won't appreciate it so much).

Good throws for the complete beginner: (possibly in excessive detail)
1. Stand, elbows at sides, forearms parallel to ground as if you are holding tray in front of you. See your hands? That's where you are aiming for the balls to land.
2. Start with two balls (if this is difficult, just do one initially). Practice throwing them in a cross pattern in the air. Throw the first ball, when it peaks and starts to fall, throw the second ball. Practice starting with both hands. left right. right left. They should peak about eye height and land where your hands are (as described above). It's very common for one hand to throw lower, or to throw forwards or backwards. Try to keep them in the plane in front of you.
3. When you can do 2 good throws fairly consistently, add a third ball. It's exactly the same principle as two balls, just that you keep going... left right left right...

Common difficulties at this stage are:
-rushing/getting stressed and trying to throw the balls too early. - stick to the left right beat. It may help to count 1 2 1 2
-Balls going everywhere - this is a throwing problem, make sure you can do the 2 ball cross with good throws. Other than that, focus on what went wrong and try to correct it (ie throw went forward? next time try to throw it more backwards)
-can't throw the 3rd ball - again focus on throws - sometimes I get people to just throw the balls (throw1 throw2 throw3) and forget about catches. After doing that a few times I get them to just catch the first one and throw it again so (throw1 throw2 catch1 throw 3 throw 1) And then as they get that add in one more catch (t1 t2 c1 t3 c2 t1...), and then another one and so on

Bending down to pick up balls all the time gets very tedious. I suggest to people that they practice over a bed - less distance to bend down.

Failing all else, come over to Perth and get some personal tutition. ubbrollsmile

Good luck hug

juggle

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
For crocheted juggling balls- if you can crochet then here's a link to my thread on making crocheted balls with full instructions.

[Old link]

Written by: j-j

Soft balls - beanbags - are much easier to use than stage balls. I still use them for preference.

Definitly- at the beginner stage.

Let me just clarify that, once you're at the stage of being able to juggle and do a few tricks, stage balls definitly come into their own.

I always found that, for developing good three ball flow, stage balls provided real inspiration- they look good and seem to go where you want them in a way that beanbags often don't.

The solid spherical shape means totally consistent form on every catch/throw- none of the shape distortion that can occur with a bean bag.

They also encourage good form- unlike beanbags, they're not forgiving when it comes to ball collision.

So, I'm not disagreeing with you- beanbags are easier at the start, but not necessarily so once you get better.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I suggest buying good equipment, like the juggleart 130g softball and, staying away from hacky sac's and tennis balls.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
damnit Steph! if youd only got your juggling gear before CG there would have been about 100 people who woudl ahve been happy to teach you beginners juggling.

Ive found juggling seems to have a higher difficulty level in learning than twirling - but its also satisfying to get, and 3 balls is a good place to enter juggle land.

That said, frustration is the enemy of practice.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

J-Jmember
41 posts

Posted:
You wouldn't have even needed your own juggling gear. Just to have expressed an interest and someone would no doubt have appeared with juggling balls to teach you. smile

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Haha...yeah...I didn't really think of it actually!

Ah well. I'm going alright now smile Thanks