Galathalionmember
82 posts

Posted:
Hello! Im pretty new with pois and sometimes they can (or I ) really piss me off when it wont go right.. Any big poimaztah or else who got any good tips? I, and i think many other newbies, would be very thankfull for any kind of tips. ^^

live well and prosper weavesmiley

”Maybe this world is another planet's hell.”
-Aldous Huxley

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
The best advice I can give, is have a look at the free lessons on this site, then play around and see what works!

There's no set list of things to learn and ways to progress, its all about what feels right for you!

weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Let it flow...

Don't think too hard...

Take a break, then come back to it...

Watch someone else for a while...

Remember to eat, drink, and sleep!

Good luck! ubbrollsmile

Practice as if your hair was on fire...

Galathalionmember
82 posts

Posted:
thanx for the advice, fellas. ill try my best.

-Aldous Huxley

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
... and if you cant get a move just spin wildly for a while :P u may feel silly but its good fun and sometimes it loosens you up enough to bend your body through the 1080 degrees needed to pull off what ever it is your trying :P

back

Galathalionmember
82 posts

Posted:
haha.. spin wildy.. i will fly away like a helicopter.. ^^

-Aldous Huxley

Delirium_Starmember
73 posts

Posted:
I would suggest going out to the park or somthing with your friends and teach yourself, think about the hand movement and not what the balls are doing, eventually you'll hit yourself so much that you'll learn how to not hit yourself and eventually come out with a new move, do any of your friends spin?

+†Delirium_57412†+

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
*agrees with delirium*
when i started out (well i still am really) i spent ages trying to do exactly what the tutorails said and jsut got frustrated and confused. now what i do is just try and get the vague idea of what the move is - ie for wraps ill watch a video read breifly whats said on them then jsut go muck about trying what feels good to me but looks like that

back

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hit yourself until you go numb all over.
Or try a few painkillers before you spin.

smile

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Delirium_Star

think about the hand movement and not what the balls are doing

Where have you been all my life?!

That's great advice smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

biggrin

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
spin with as many people as possible. teach your mates. or your dog. or someone elses dog..... i spent an afternoon teaching two basic tricks to a total beginner and he taught me loads about how to make trippy plane changes, just by making mistakes.

if moves dont come, leave them alone and try something else. all poi moves are so interrelated that if you come back to something thats troubbling you after a few weeks you'll probably find you can do it.

bear in mind that the interelation between tricks is such that the more you learn, you discover how little you know. poi is paradoxical like that i think

make every move as neat as you can, eradicate any mistakes early on before they become habit. spin slowly whan youre learning a new trick.

when you see a post about hyperloops, run away and bury your head in the sand screaming "ladidadiladida". If you cant see them, they cant see you. wink

but seriously, spin with other people. i remember sphercuist once saying no matter how bad anyone is that they can still teach people who have been spinning for ages and its very true. equally if you know very little, someone who knows less that you can give you inspiring new ideas.
peace

did i leave the iron on?

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
Watch the posted videos to get inspired weavesmiley

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

Galathalionmember
82 posts

Posted:
spin with other people, that will be pretty hard tho, cuz there aint any people where i live that spin. :/ and i aint got any friends. But i can do pretty well by my own. I got my cat. Thanks for the tips dudes and dudettes, i really try to koncentrate on my hands first, but when i want to see my trick i just lose control.. ^^ so i guess i have to _really_ learn a trick so it will go natural for me. Dinner first candy later. ^^

-Aldous Huxley

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Listen music you like, try to get into the rhythm that give life to your Poi nad body movin. Caunt

one , two, three, four
one , two, three, four

come on smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Galathalionmember
82 posts

Posted:
omg i couldnt do it without music ^^ it was music that was the key to do the wave right. and corkscrew. and butterfly. ^^ i find capoeira music very good. It gives a good feeling and have a nice beat.

-Aldous Huxley