Page:
loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
a long long time ago...in a internet forum somewhere in zm

I was reading the jedi set for poi...then it came to me while i was smoking a cig.....
surly staff is move jedi then poi....i mean come on!!!!!
so i think all us happy staff peeps should club together and make a jedi staff list.......
Any idea's peeps?
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
What do you want to not argue about? What moves are jedi? i recon gaylord, beetle and cont. headspins.
or if batton twirlers are better than us? yea i recon they are

comence not arguing wink biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
they're only better because they wear more lycra and shorter skirts wink
*imagines mcp in a baton twirlers outfit*
ubblol idea for a vid meg?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

ubblol idea for a vid meg?

trying to give people nightmares? ubbloco ubbrollsmile

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
the gaylord isn't jedi, it's not hard enough... headspins thou, pretty jedi I reckon, with a straight medium weight staff.

I suppose I could borrow my flatmates acrobalance lycra costume... That'd give you nightmares... biggrin

The 'ultimate' roll definitely jedi...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

The 'ultimate' roll definitely jedi...

Forgot about that one, yea definatley. You know i almost, very nearly, came close to doing about 3/4 of it the other day. Then i landed in a heap on the floor clutching my knee goining 'esssssssshhh ooohhh owwwww'

"Don't do it naked!"

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
can i be thick and say.......

ultimate roll? is that like angel roll followed by something else..

help me im as thick as Meg smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well I'm not helping you now, you big thicko. tongue

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
the ultimate roll has 2 variants, first one is basically a full twister (steve matrix down body to twister, then rolls up the back to second half of matrix then steve exit). Second one is the same but with a horizontal cartwheel roll instead of a twister. So basically the staff rolls round all limbs in sequence.
I called it the ultimate roll cos ive been imagining it for about 3 years and has been my ultimate goal in contact staff for a while.

I recon horizontal cartwheel rolls should be jedi on their own cos they are much harder than vertical (not that vertical is that easy either)

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
for a laugh I'm going to link this:

[Old link]

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
so which one did you learn then meg? red or blue?

Its an interesting concept but very similar to some other stuff ive heard, as in, there are no moves, only motions. Whatever that means, it seems to be popular on tribe.
so did you buy the book?

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what book? You really think that happened? Yeah right.

I met the guy at BM, nuff said. He definately learned red, and didn't bother learning any moves either.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
so could he really spin for 4 minutes with his hands handcuffed? Dont quite see how that works unless he just does turning halos and neck wraps

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
He doesn't say he does contact does he? I can spin for four hours with handcuffs on, with or without doing contact. Doesn't mean it's going to be interesting or novel.

He couldn't even do neck spins so I don't really know what he was on about.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
sorry i forgot that spinning existed outside of contact.

So any more sugestions for jedi stooof? im bored and want to argue (sorry not argue)
Or we could make up random names and see if they exist, how about antispin full leg steve? or a crotch turning halo?

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: -sandy-

sorry i forgot that spinning existed outside of contact.

ubblol

headrolls, spinning or static. (like how CJ'er do them.) Preferably out of a matrix. But a steve'll do at a pinch.

maybe a static matrix would be near jedi... leg matrix...

hmmm, just thought of a new move...

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
there is a nice entry to head rolls from a matrix where instead of bringing it under your arm you roll it up the underside of your arm and onto your head. Hmm maybe that should be in new moves.

Isnt a static matrix basically an antiturn matrix? And a leg matrix doesnt work cos you only have 2 legs. i think what your thinking of would be a full leg steve.

Actually maybe not cos the leg steve rolls up and down the legs, i suppose a leg matrix would kinda be like a twister that wraps both legs at the thigh.

"Don't do it naked!"

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
That's certainly how I've always pictured the leg matrix working. Like the 2 beat matrix with the flat chest/back transfers.

Yay! A Theoretical staff moves thread!!!

bounce2

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
thought of another theoretical move:
Go into a leg steve but with your legs together so the staff rolls round both legs. then with your hands holding your ankles do a backwards roll so the staff rolls down your legs onto your bum, does a spin on your bum and rolls up your back and onto your shoulders. The staff would need to spin quite slowly and roll fairly fast. I think its a 2 beat move.

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
sandy: sounds like a prayer leg steve... ? Not that you can really have prayer with your legs, there's no head to separate your legs... well not in my case... I wonder if you could do tricks with your feet soles together, like prayer is for your hands... get some negative space [censored] going on.

I think it would be easier if you did a static roll down the back of your arms, down your back, went into a forward roll, the staff rolls down your legs, flicks off your feet, and you catch it again on the back of your hands ready to start the whole move again...

elbow traps but with your knees must so be possible...

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
interesting, i think the forward roll way would work better yes.

Dunno if its like a prayer steve cos of the back roll but i like where your going with this prayer feet business.

How about if you did a leg prayer steve then rolled over onto your front at the end so it rolls up the inside of your leg (the other one from the one its just rolled down) so that there could be some kind of cage leg steve?
(at every point i mention steve's in terms of legs shall we just assume i mean min steve cos of the lack of head and neck and i cant be arsed to write it every time)

knee traps, ive tried these and found them really difficult. You can get it to trap but getting the staff out again in any kind of smooth fashion so far just results in bruised shins. What i want to get is a knee trap which when kicked out rolls over both knees and traps back on the other side.

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about doing knee traps when in a shoulder stand of some kind, (not sure of the yoga name) do your knee is pointed toward the floor, and your body is folded over... it would make the legs horizontal and act like the arms do, (elbows fold down)

Things are kinda inverted with your legs, cos the knee joint goes the other way to the elbow joint. meaning the butt / underside of your leg is equivalent to the upper side of your arm...

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
can you do those stalls breakdancers do on one arm? I was thinking there must be some kind of leg trap you could going into one of those and then kicking it back out as you come out.

Ooooh just remembered a ridiculous move i thought of at Bristol convention. do a matrix at the same time as doing a flare the breakdance move where you kick into a turning handstand by leaning backwards and spin on one hand at a time. A matrix could totally fit in there ubbloco jsut need to spend about 5 years learning to breakdance like a pro.

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah kinda one arm and a shoulder I was thinking, or both shoulder and upperback on the floor your arms forming a triangle with your body to keep your legs in the air...

329 posts

Posted:
Right I've meaning to do this for a while, I'm going to talk to the yoga teachers I know and sort out a yoga sequence for contact staff.

A selection of postures I can practice which provide stable visually interesting platforms for moves and also movements which help build the strength/flexibility/control needed for contact staff in general.

Hopefully talking to a teacher will help make a sequence which both builds up logically, is balanced (ie. bending both ways), interesting to do and with sensible alternatives for the beginner or the advanced.

If any one else is interested I'll produce a booklet or video when I'm done.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
ill have one. Hadnt thought of asking yoga teachers, good idea. Im gonna find a breakdancer somewhere and get them to show me some stuff. i see the moves but getting into them is bloody difficult so i need some tips.
Right im bored of editing play footage now (im constantly being reminded im not there) so im gonna go roll around on the floor for a while and see if come up with anything new.

"Don't do it naked!"

329 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, jedi staffing...

Written by: -sandy- in new move thread

3 staffs, 2 in reverse fishtail while the other does an angel roll. When the angel roll is about to reach the hand, throw the fishtail (in the hand about to catch the angel roll) up at the same time as starting the next angel roll (other fishtailing hand straight to angel) then with your now free hand catch the thrown staff back into fishtail. Repeat.

This move, or any three contact staff juggling deserves to be on the list. Dual fishies and lucero variations would be nice to see one day. As would 3 staff juggling done with fishtails and the occasional body roll.

I feel that actual dual contact staff is just round the corner, bits of it are already here, so it can't be Jedi.

Maybe stringing lots of it together would be ninja though...

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
i dunno, the dual contact stuff we are working on now is still fairly basic, i think there are a lot more moves yet undiscovered that should class as jedi. I mean a full steve and a matrix has to be jedi.
Also i recon atomic dual contact has to have some jedi to it, again probably too early to name specific moves but i think they are ther somewhere, just have to work them out.
This is why i think contact staff has just had a kinda renewal and has become exciting again, there is so much unexplored stuff still out there.

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think the problem (or the good thing) about jedi is it always remains out of reach... moving the goalposts so to speak.

I mean, if we could do it, it wouldn't be jedi.

so is there a hierarchy of coolness then? skilled human -> ninja -> jedi -> bene gesserit -> godlike -> god

now we just need a breeding program...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I like to breed biggrin although my staff skills need a little work wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

anti_finBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
 Written by: -sandy-

Ooooh just remembered a ridiculous move i thought of at Bristol convention. do a matrix at the same time as doing a flare the breakdance move where you kick into a turning handstand by leaning backwards and spin on one hand at a time. A matrix could totally fit in there ubbloco jsut need to spend about 5 years learning to breakdance like a pro.

ive seen Brettstar do that

and fall over like a thousand times attempting that biggrin

forever twirling, twirling towards victory

Page: