PyroGyronewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm....

I was curious to find this ...

Asperger's Disorder
Asperger Syndrome is a neurobiological disorder named after the Viennese physician, Hans Asperger, who in 1944 published a research paper which described a pattern of behaviors in several young boys who had normal intelligence and language development, but who also exhibited autistic-like behaviors and marked deficiencies in social and communication skills. It wasn't until 1994 that Asperger Syndrome was recognised a a unique disorder.
Qualitative impairment in social interaction with at least two demonstrations of impaired social interaction. The person:
• Shows a marked inability to regulate social interaction by using multiple non-verbal behaviors such as body posture and gestures, eye contact and facial expression.

• Doesn't develop peer relationships that are appropriate to the developmental level.

• Doesn't seek to share achievements, interests or pleasure with others.

• Lacks social or emotional reciprocity.

Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
• Preoccupation with abnormal (in focus or intensity) interests that are restricted and stereotyped ( such as spinning things ).

• Rigidly sticks to routines or rituals that don't appear to have a function.

• Has stereotyped, repetitive motor mannerisms (such as hand flapping).

• Persistently preoccupied with parts of objects.

Anyone else feel like they've just joined a new club ...!...

PyroGyro

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
umm Every time i read a new tread, what i thought was my life gets weirder and weirder hehe

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
funny thread actually, there was a show my group did earlier this year(that i missed) for a organisation which runs camps for kids with disabilities. There was one kid who had never seen spinning before in his life, and promptly learn every trick my group could show him in the one night! apparently he was autistic or something of the sort and he had cancer of the brain. One of the supervisers told my friend that basically as the cancer was destroying his brain his ability to learn was accelerating, but eventually it would kill him and he had about three weeks maximum to live.

sad yet totally amazing...........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
I have asperger too...
and I spin poi
eh.. know nothing more to say about in now...

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroGyro

asperger's syndrome described a pattern of behaviors in several young boys who had normal intelligence and language development, but who also exhibited autistic-like behaviors and marked deficiencies in social and communication skills. It wasn't until 1994 that Asperger Syndrome was recognised a a unique disorder.

since the acceptance of the autistic spectrum, asperger's has been considered a 'mild' form of autism.

anyone read "the curious incident..."?

well that's asperger's smile

i don't have asperger's but i do suspect that i have mild ocd's...

*clicks light on and off 22 times and leaves room*

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
i just read that book. woah. hmm. i think (or hope!) that most people have mild ocd's!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
lol

cute story!

i think i'll buy the book someime!

i wonder what disorder i have!!! i can never seem to keep still and always have to be doing something with my hands!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
the curious incident is a great book. i love the way the chapters are all prime numbers...i have a thing about numbers and maths....anyway!

when i read it i felt like i related to it wayyyy to much as far as the ocd things...esp the counting.

everyone should read it, its a great insight to the world of aspergers

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
is there a Dutch translation of this book?, maybe it is in our library, and if there is what would be the tiltle? or should I Just go and buy the english version of it?

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've just been diagnosed with mild ADD and OCD due to my symptoms matching those above and my accute sense of empathy wild inanimate objects I think have an itch! eek
Often caught myself scratching tables coz they look itchy, however my aspect is juggly in nature and I'm not so enthralled by spinny things more than falling objects

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
The only problem I have with that book is that it's so popular most people will think that's the only way people with AS act.

AS is on a spectrum where you can have symptoms from classic autism, ADD, ADHD, OCD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, tourettes and bipolar disorder (and a few others), in wildly varying amounts, so there is really no standard pattern of behaviour.

Also aspies are far more likely to be individualistic than most normal people. Because they're limited in interacting with people they'd otherwise imitate, they get to develop in relative isolation.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.