Forums > Social Chat > Dreadlocks, Second Thoughts

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
For a while, ive wanted ot get dreadies, and i have planend to ahve them done on sunday, but last night, after i had my hair done for my school ball/formal/prom (whatever you want to call it) i started having second thoughts.
Maybe it was because my hair has never looked that good before, and it was all rpetty and definately not its usual, unruly, annoying self.
I want dreads...but i dont and i ahve no idea what to do.
Mum has offered top fork out $250 to order me some fake, synthetic dread falls from the internet if i dont want real ones.

I am COMPLETELY lost.
Can anyone tell me the ups and down of having dreads?
Can anyone tell me if they ahve synthetic dreads and waht they're like?

....help

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

ZeRo10487newbie
8 posts

Posted:
It's not true what they say that you can't revive your hair after having dreads. You CAN, granted the fact you didn't get a dread PERM to get them....in which case your screwed then.

If you used pretty much anything other then the dreadperm, you can undo it, it's just tedious and very time consuming.

I have had many friends with dreads, and even done dreads to one of them. I also have a friend in cosmotology school who says the same.

As far as dreads themselves, they look neat, and you can put different stuff in them (tie in synth dreads, beads, etc) but your somewhat limited to what you can style it as. Upkeep is fairly minimal. Waxing, and getting your roots redreaded or tied off as your natural hair, shower caps, possible mold formations if you dont upkeep them well.

Synth dreads are a lot of fun.....if you get them pinch braided in with your normal hair, its kinda hard to brush your hair in the morning, but getting the temp kind is neat too. Just if you get them tied in, make sure they dont have YOUR hair in with it when they dread the synth hair. (usually the salon will tie in the synth hair, then dread it)

There's plenty of info to read up on. Good luck with your decision.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've had my dreads 4 and a hlaf months now.
Had had wool extentions about 6 or 7 times before, and one day decided I wanted the real thing, so drove straight into it with a nit comb biggrin

After an initial 'Oh sh!t, what have I done' for a the first couple of week or so I began to like them, and they started looking better and better.

Now I love them. I still occasionally have second thoughts, and long for my wavy blonde hair again - but I know I'd get pissed off with it so quickly if I ever had it back. So much effort faffing around with hair dryers and straightners in the morning!

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
Wow it's been a very long time since I've posted anything at HoP. I wonder if anybody even remembers me?

Anyway, kmbkitten, I've had my dreads for over six years. I just had a random friend do them. Six and a half hours of labour for sixty bucks for 6 years worth of dread locks. I am very happy with the results and I sure didn't want to pay out of the nose for a pro job either.

Though it does depend on what you're looking for in dreadlocks.

Some people really want symmetrical, identical, totally tube-shaped cylindrical dreads. These generally require frequent maintenance and if that's what you're into, I do recommend going with a pro. Now if you're more like me and want dreads because dreads are inherently scrappy looking and want the more natural, out there style where each dread has a look (and life) of its own, then I would definitely have a friend do it.

If you're not sure of what you want, I suggest taking more time to just ponder it and make a decision later. If you're going to commit to it, you may as well be certain about it!

Hope this helps. PM me if you want to talk more.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
best thing about dreds is.....

cutting the stinky heavy ugly f0ckers off smile

T

p.s. you can actually type fuckers. look --> fuckers cool
EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1174348154)

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Hmm good timing for this thread to be revived. Im in the process of considering it as well, problem for me is that i dont have the length to do it now even if i wanted to. Would just result in really short stubby dreads i think frown

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
But they would be so cute Tony!!! ubblol ubblol

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Shush you! bounce

I need to show you my 'fro when its properly teased out before i get dreads anyway hahaha

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
wow, thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to at least price out the local professionals and discuss this with my friend who knows a lot of people with dreads before I decide what I do. But I honestly don't think I'll go with a professional. it will cost way too much and I think I know a few people who could do it well for me.

I've got some funny reactions from people I've told that I'm thinking about dreads. I'm somewhat worried they won't look good on me but the before and after pictures I've seen of dreaded people seem to show that dreads work on most people. *shrugs* we shall see and I shall post pictures should I decide to go with it. I'd like to find a good picture of someone with dreads and photoshop them onto me just to get a fairly good idea of what they'll look like. whee!!!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
the thing with having dreads is you will go through the odd time where you worry how they look, or they are being unruly and you wil have second thoughts from time to time but it's all part of the process hug

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
I wouls love to get dreads, barring the fact that i have just accepted a new job and doubt they would be too chuffed about it.

However once i have started (and gently introduces my full set of piercings to them) i may find out if they are cool with that, and just get some wee thin ones.... maybe...

might get some synth ones first to see how i feel about it...

7,193 posts

Posted:
only problem i have in employment with my dreads is fitting them under a safety hard hat ubblol nobody really gives a toss

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i wish.

i have not even told my new job i have my lip pierced. i had a retainer in. and i cover my ears with my hair.

On the other hand, i am going to be a systems designer (read IT geek) so i hope that they are not going to mind how i look - i will not be customer facing.

*fingers crossed*

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
yeah, I'm slightly worried with how work will take it as well. I work retail loss prevention so standing out isn't the greatest idea but dear god I want them. I'm continuing my research and making my final decision before I ask my boss if it is in dress code...*sigh* damn jobs getting in the way of fun things.

ShawnieGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Well, kmbkitten, about the amount of time it will take for somebody to dread your hair... that depends on how long your hair is, how thick your hair is and how fast the person doing the job is. As I said, my 24 dreads took six and a half hours of constant work. My hair was about shoulder length at the time and quite thick. The initial investment in time really is nothing though if you intend to keep them for a long time. Look at it this way: Mine took six and a half hours. Sounds like a super long time right? But when you think about it, that twenty minutes per day or so, that it takes to do your hair every morning is time you get back since dreads don't require much styling before you go out. Now I don't know how much twenty minutes per day adds up to be after more than six years, but I know that I have definitely saved myself A LOT of time.

As for your dress code, it certainly is a good idea to check in about it, but your boss may not be familiar with dread locks and may assume that you will be giving out the vibe of a stinky pot smoking lesbian vegan feminist who doesn't wash and has lice and listens to Bob Marley all the time. I have had lots of people make judgment and plop me into those categories. (And I don't fit into any of them) Your boss may picture that you'll look more dramatic than you will. Dreadlocks really aren't that crazy looking. (okay they kind of are when you first get them because they really stand strait up in the classic Sideshow Bob fashion)

But once you get through that begining stage, they shouldn't be all that distracting or offensive to those strait laced squares. A good idea is to keep them tied back as much as possible untill people are used to them. Even covering them up completely or partially with tams, scarves and thick headbands. Very low key and stylish. Some people can even make dread buns and the like.

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
my hair is very thin, frizzy/curly and about shoulder length so I don't know how that would affect dread time. but if I can find a day off and someone to do it for me I'm not worried about the time it takes to do it. just a matter of finding a day off...*sigh*

as a side note, ever since I started thinking about getting dreads, I've seen at least one dready person a day, today I saw two, yesterday 3...and its isn't just because I didn't notice them before, I usually do since I think they're hot. but geez! they're everywhere now and it makes me want them all the more!!!

mykrmeburning from inside
165 posts

Posted:
hmmm...thanks people, now i just can´t wait to get my dreadies...never before i thought i would have them... smile

that's YOUR opinion...

from fire we´re born, to fire we return...

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
I'm going to a local salon tonight to talk about options and prices. what do you people know about dread perms and should I stay away from them or are they okay? I want something that will last but I don't want to have to keep going back to the salon and forking over so much money just to maintain them. If I can take care of them myself...I want to...I'm pretty sure I've decided that I'm going to get them, I just need to figure out the nitty gritty and make sure work is okay with them...

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
curly hair is better for dreading but thick hair is better too. if it was thin and straight it would be a little harder and so would take longer.

i've done dreads for friends at home and in a salon for customers.I also got mine done by friends... I'd say its better personally with friends because it means you can sit and watch a couple dvds and have a laugh, maybe partake in your favourite alcoholic bevarage or non specific type of cigarette, and its comfy. in a salon you're paying quite alot (the salon i was working in was asking for £145 minimal, dependant on length and thickness for a white person and i think about £120 for a black person...) and you're sitting with nothing really to entertain you apart from the hairdresser. which i enjoyed while i was doing the dreads but still would have preferred to be doing it at home....plus i got money for doing it..!!

good luck hope you get them done!

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

OctaviaKeatonBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Dreads are definitely awesome. I make and install my own dreads extensions...it only costs mayBe $20 for the hair, and I have all the supplies to make them. if youre going professional the price you originally stated isnt too Bad (i havent read all the replies yet)...i know the hair police charges like..$600 a head or something huge like that.

if youve decided certainly to get them, well i cant say on professional dreads But for mine, i really dont keep them in for longer than a month Because washing fake ones is a pain in the Butt. if youre getting real dreads from your own hair, the people at the salon will tell you all aBout maintaining them (and if they dont, its easy to find it online)

if you want any info on fake ones, just go to www.extra-muffins.com/hair its the holy grail of fake hair. im not sure, i think they have info on real dreads too, and im sure maitenance is included in that. anyway good luck!

ShawnieGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about maintainance anyway. The whole point of dreadlocks is to be a bit of a scraggly-head and not having to worry about fixing your hair.

You'll hear all kinds of crazy ideas like that you should put wax in your hair or honey or you shouldn't wash it. People will try to sell you all kinds of "dread tightening and maintaining" products. I never bothered with it. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about maintenance anyway. The whole point of dreadlocks is to be a bit of a scraggly-head and not having to worry about fixing your hair.

You'll hear all kinds of crazy ideas like that you should put wax in your hair or honey or you shouldn't wash it. People will try to sell you all kinds of "dread tightening and maintaining" products. I never bothered with it. It's just knots and your hair should be able to keep knots in it. The only maintenance I did with my hair was only at the beginning and all it involved was re-dreading undreaded tips till they held after a short while. It's cheaper, easier, less time consuming and certainly less money consuming too.

Oh and the only thing I put in my hair? Ocean. I heard that salt water is good for dreads. (When you swim in the ocean... some people get gnarrly knots) and I only did that because I lived on the ocean and would have been in the water anyway. It wasn't something I went out of my way to do, but some people do and they say it helps. So if you want to try putting foreign things in your dreads to make them tighter, try the ocean first. It's free and fun.

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

I'd say its better personally with friends because it means you can sit and watch a couple dvds and have a laugh, maybe partake in your favourite alcoholic bevarage or non specific type of cigarette,

THIS is the best way to get dreads!!!!

sit and chill with a bunch of mates, them dreading your hair while you chill out and roll the provisions biggrin

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
unfortunately I don't have friends who actually know how to dread...*sigh* but the good news is that I'm scheduled for next friday to get dreads done at a salon...it'll cost a pretty penny ($200) but its actually the cheapest in the area so yeah. getting a dread perm, not exactly excited about it but the lady knows what she's talking about better than me...we'll see won't we? I'll post pics after! I do however still need to make sure that work is okay with dreads...*sigh*

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
what ever happened to just not brushing your hair, letting it knot up and then looking after it? eek

I started with hair an inch long...no brushing, no product, no one pulling in my hair...etc eek

no cost either eek

oh, and some employers have no problem with dreads - I work in adult education and am standing in a room full of people most days...dreads and all smile ubbrollsmile

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
another question for people who have now or have had dreads in the past. do you get a lot of stoner/shroom comments/crap? I don't do drugs and really just like the look of dreads for dreads sake. A friend of mine brought it up and with all the excitement of getting dreads done I forgot about all the associations they have, rather silly of me I guess...but yes...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I don't seem to get them to my face - but that doesn't mean people aren't thinking it...

At work, I would hope when wearing my work clothes people don't think it eek eek

sometimes I get asked if I'm a rastafarian, my standard reply is that I'm a sadhu in training smile

and to be honest, I don't really care what people say or think in that regards. It's their loss if they choose to make an assumption about me before talking to me smile

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I asked my boss recently about how getting dreads would affect my work situation. Was basically told that in my current situation it would be fine, but depending on how high i want to go in the company then perhaps it could be wise to change them in a few years.

Was told that most people around here will just associate them as 'someone who marches to the beat of their own drum and isn't necessarily following what everyone else does. To watch out because people tend to isolate those who are different, whether it be because they are too smart, too beautiful or just are different.'

Pretty standard stuff really....Im expecting plenty of stoner comments if i do mine... or at least smelly hippy comments

ShawnieGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Hmm. Comments eh? What can I say about that?

Get used to getting stared at!

Perhaps it's only because I generally only live in small towns in Nova Scotia and Ontario, but I find there are a lot of people that really seriously don't understand that dreadlocks are just knotted hair.

Most assumptions people make about my dreads are pretty harmless. (People pass me lit joints/pipes/bongs at parties without first asking whether I rock the gange (I dont), "Oh, you eat meat? I thought you were a vegetarian for some reason." And quite often people assume that I don't/can't wash my hair "So... How do you wash your hair?" "I wet it, lather it and then I rinse it. How do you wash your hair?" "Oh, so you actually DO wash it!?" "Why wouldn't I?" "Oh, I just thought... never mind" And another frequent occurence: The purse clutch. Old ladies tend to grip their purses extra tight when I walk past them on the street. If I was really a thief, do you think I would make myself so noticeable in a small town? lol

As far as work goes, dreadlocks are great for what I do. I work in the outdoor industry, so it's almost an advantage. When I'm working white water rafting trips, I sometimes hear guests talking with each other before we all get on the water, "I hope we get that girl with the hair. She looks hardcore and outdoorsy. The other one looks more like a computery type!" People willingly call me Captain SC the Dreaded!
biggrin

The important thing to remember though, is that people will judge you based on your appearance no matter what, no matter who you are, no matter where you are, male, female, young, old, dreads or no dreads. People judge others based on age, gender, hair colour, weight, skin colour, height, clothing, everything! People are going to judge you based on your appearance no matter what you do with it. Some judge more than others. And try as you might, you will never have an appearance that pleases everybody. So if you can't please every person out there with the way you look, please the most important person whith the way you look. Yourself! smile , The time will come when somebody acts like a wad because of the way your hair is. No question about that. The real question is: Do you really care about what judgmental people like that think?

7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol i get the hair washing subject brought up all the time, i just laugh and tell them "yeah, i use natural yoghurt to sampoo with" ubblol

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i got called a tree hugger last week biggrin
hair washing is a big one and 'how do you do them?' also, vegetarian thing too..

i find that the judgement thing goes both ways, some people that won't talk to you because you have dreads and some that will approach you because you have dreads... interesting... but generally its cool... if these folk hold judgements and won't speak to you because of your hair its their loss.. mwahahahaha...(like my evil egotistic laugh? ubblol)

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
i suppose it doesn't help i listen to music like this.......

https://www.myspace.com/katalystslackbanta

*check out the tune "python woman"

it just reminds me of the outdoor summer partys in the woods, dancing away untill the sun comes up and long into the afternoon

Page: