WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Just became the proud owner of a new set of comet poi. Little problem, however. The stuff it's made of smells....weird. Not a problem if you're swinging them but since I carry them in my rucksack wherever I go, my sack and all other items (as well as my back, for that matter) has aquired this peculiar smell. I smell like a set of poi blush...heh-heh!Is there a way of getting this smell outa the poi by, say for instance, giving them a bath or sumthing? confused------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
WHAT R THEY MADE OF ????????

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Sorry, should've xplained: it's the comet poi that you buy from Malcolm's shop.Malcolm: r u aware that the comet poi smell weird?

*8*WildChild*8*

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
WildChild i know exactly what you mean!!! i have the same set and it smells a lot!!! after a while it get's better though... i have used them a few times outside when it was 'wettish' so i don't know if that helped... if it's a nylon smell then nothing will help much...try wiping them with a wet cloth with a bit of nice smelling soap or something and then wipe it off - see if it makes a difference...i can't tell you how my set smells now since i have given it to someone i know a while ago until she buys her own set - i'll check out if it still smells the next time i see it though...although now that i recall i think i managed to get some kero on it too so maybe the original smell will feel unimportant compared to kero smell...i am not studying again frown, see ya in a week or so...happy swinging,Simos

kashmirmember
10 posts

Posted:
it is the material out-gasing, it is from the chemcal composition of the fabric, you will just have to deal with it winkits may be possable to cover it up a bit, but thats it

i'm not god, but fuck me, i'm close -liam gallagher

kashmirmember
10 posts

Posted:
it is the material out-gasing, it is from the chemcal composition of the fabric, you will just have to deal with it winkits may be possable to cover it up a bit, but thats it

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
i have the same problem, wildchild. i think i've identified the smell, too: rotten fish. I swear to god, both my practice and performance poi, and their little bags they came in, reek of fish. leaving them out helps, hanging them in the wind/sun, etc. And the more you spin them, the more they "air out". But the reason for their stank is a mystery. Malcolm? any ideas?Heph

kashmirmember
10 posts

Posted:
it is the material out-gasing :Pit happens fo some degree with all petrolium based products------------------"i'm not god, but fuck me, i'm close" -liam gallagher

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
soak them in kerosene to give it that nice fire poi smell smile

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
wait never mind the comment above...kerosene probably smells worse. just spray them with air freshner

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Its service like that Malcolm, that I respect.So few and far between providers would act that quickly.Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi Folks, First time chatting. Just off the phone with Malcolm, about the smell! Don't you hate having smelly balls...??!!!We are the inventors and manufacturers of "Comet Poi Aotearoa". We had a batch of tennis balls recently that were a bit smelly and had apparently been stored or packed in China in a fishing boat! We made our NZ customers aware of this and suggested airing them out for a while. Also we have found out that in the process of making the balls and curing the rubber that salt water is used. There is a smell associated with this drying out sometimes. Airing the Poi out seems to be the best solution.These Poi are not designed to be machine washed, only gentle coldwater hand wipe/wash is recommended. Washing is mainly to get marks off the fabric.Hope this helps! Sorry about the smell:IT DOES GO AWAY!Until we find a better ball, our original design will remain.REMEMBER you can always swing the smell out!!!Greetings from sunny Nelson, New Zealand

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Thank you all........I'll air them out.......Simos, go back to your books!!! wink ------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*