Page:
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Just too nice not to be mentioned in an extra thread.

Atomics with one Poi horizontal and one Poi vertical ubbrollsmile

And if you now think - thats simple I can already do this then I say I dont really think that it is that simple hug And I am not one of the worst spinners ubbloco

There is beauty within ubblove

peace

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I'm confused are you doing one a flower while keeping one poi horizontal and one vertical? Or are you spinning say a weave motion and quadruple corkscrew at the same time? I'm a little confused on exactly what you mean.

Peace, Love, Circles

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
good idea andy.. nobody jumped on it when I talked about it in the atomics thread.. but I didnt talk about flowers.. just the atomics with one vert and one horizontal.. the flowers make a beautiful addition.. kinda like inside flowers..

yet another good post man

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
It's an atomic flower. I'm assuming your arms are still travelling in the same plane, but the poi are perpendicular to each other.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
nice, i guess you can do the arm circles in one plane and poi circles in another, like a 3d spirograph

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

nobody jumped on it when I talked about it in the atomics thread.. but I didnt talk about flowers.. just the atomics with one vert and one horizontal..

that's what atomic means doesn't it "one vertical, one horizontal"?

there's *tonnes* of variation here but its all fookin difficult so you won't see me spinning anything pretty out of it wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Colter*newbie
1 post

Posted:
how the hell do you do the atom thing......ive been doin poi for about 2 months and i need more things to learn.....

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeh, I mentioned something about these flowers a while ago in a thread I dont remember and no one really seemed to take the idea. Honesly havent played with them much at all but have known about them for some time.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
question....

are your arm movements atomic? or just the poi? I have worked out both, now to spin them.

oh and colter, if youve only been spinning for two months there are plenty more things to learn before atoms, which are causing all kinds of headaches for peaple that been spinning for 3+ years.

t wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Arm movements are atomic also. One arm does extended circle at your side, and the other stays extended straight in front of you as you turn 360.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:

how exactly do you do the atomic??? confused

please, let someone be so nice and explain it to me...
I used to be a staff player and swopped to poi, my new love ubblove now I'm playing both but still need to improve my poiing... merci in advance,

tina ubbangel

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

that's what atomic means doesn't it "one vertical, one horizontal"?

cole. x

no.. atomics are orthogonal planes.. all the ones discussed in the atomic thread were vert+vert and vert+vert that.. and personally I dont find the vert+vert ones very interesting at all.. maybe its my lack of imagination.. the vert+hor were the only ones I liked and no-one seemed to want to talk about variations on those..

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I want you to talk about that! smile
I can imagine that. One plane vertical other one horizontal, so like a plus, othervise one diagonal and the other as well, so like a one times one. But how you meen, both vert the, fundamental one?
I saw vwith double staff swaps in cross and cant imagine that move with Poi.
SO I want more:)

POI THEO(R)IST

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
confused sigh
any move where the planes are atomic is an atomic.
vert + vert = really simple atom useful for describing placement areas and arm positions. the only one i used as a reference in the atomics thread. pretty boring though. nobody posted much in my thread so i let it lie, figured nobody could do any of them, much less stuff like this.
atomic hyp

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yes my posture is terrible and one of the poi is off tilt by a few degrees. it was taken at an "after-show party/show" a few years ago, i was tired, what can i say...

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I know they are all the same.. but the horizontal ones work different than vert.. lits only as slight difference, but also carries more effect.. In principle they are the same.. that wasnt' the debate.. this issue was just that I would have liekd more discussion of the 'other' ones..

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
I mentioned them in "the" Flowers thread [Old link]

I remeber having a conversation with Nx? in sheffiled about them (possibly?) but I was doing aromic arms and keeping the plane of the poi the same.

But to quote cole. "you won't see me spinning anything pretty out of it [either]" (yet wink )

You can also try those 90 degree plane changes that spherculist does (well a few people do them but spherculist does them super clean and intentionally) and really make your flowers wobble about. biggrin ubblol

flowers the 90 degree changes are easier with antispin cause of the isolationy thingemy dodah.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

how exactly do you do the atomic???

beerchugand spin wink And the more you beerchug the more atomic your planes become biggrin hug

Written by:

pretty boring though

umm
ubbcrying
bye

hug2

andy

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
(i meant the basic atom i described in my thread was boring compared to some others, it was just a reference and by no means the coolest)

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Ugh. Now I remember why I don't read the Poi Moves forum... big pissing contest -- "I mentioned it in this thread", "oh I thought of it 6 months ago", blah blah blah...

Sorry, just grumpy because this kind of stuff makes my head hurt, but I gotta start paying attention. I'm finally getting my head around some of the inside/atomic/hyperloopy what-happens-when-you-leave-your-planes stuff... just gotta connect my intuitions with all the chatter.

*sigh* so much for me to catch up on... gotta either practice my [censored] off or take a very long break...

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
offtopic on

Written by:

(i meant the basic atom i described in my thread was boring compared to some others, it was just a reference and by no means the coolest)

biggrin I think we gonna have an immense amount of fun on this Burningflipside festival - looking forward. Is it maybe possible to arrive a little bit earlier - I need a guide through the "Texas Culture" (Just watched Enron and I am shocked and at the same time amused. I can highly recommend this movie) ubbrollsmile

offtopic off

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Andy - It's 4am, mate... get some sleep! I spent 3 months as an intern in Austin... It's kind of a strange mix of liberal college town and Texas culture. Still lots of big cars, gun racks, and SUVs, but with their fair share of hippies too. Lots and lots of great live music (if you like Texas music) everywhere you go.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Arashi > The picture say nothing to me smile

If you have in Atomics family planes, when both are vertical, so like you normally spin, than Ok. Otherwise for me they are two basic atom where angel between the planes is 90 digree but difference is in the plane position so one look like math symbol plus and the other like the other.
So where is the point of disscusion or am I somewhere elese?

light :R

POI THEO(R)IST

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
they all come out like plus's...

think of taking the cartesian x,y graph and tilting in in various ways... atoms come out like that.. all of them butterfly.. most like normal perpendicular planed bf's, some same direction.. the latter of which I'm starting to appreciate more.. and might actually enjoy it, if my brain would stop freaking out over how ugly sametime stuff looks to me..

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Ok, this is for me Atom with X shape:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

there can be + shape too.

and this one is vertical Atom:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

POI THEO(R)IST

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
[First; could we make the habit of linking postings on variations back to the original thread? i'll post a link to this thread as well.]

thanks richee, those work great. the pic i posted is a hyperloop during an atom of the first kind, specifically during the inverted area of the knot. like i said the plane on that right wick is a _little_ off so it looks a little sloppy.

orbit, don't worry, there's nowhere to piss around here that i haven't already saturated, like the playa on tuesday morning. wink don't worry about it, if you did you'd never get anywhere. i think it's human nature/insecurity, just keep practising and forget about it. anyways i'm coming to CA late summer-ish and i'll set up a workshop and we can go over all this stuff. it's not that hard in person. heck if you think anybody'd come i'd make a special trip sooner.

rev, if anyone wants to talk about variations in my atomics thread they should please feel free. i sat for a week with a pulled hip muscle with nothing to do and got no responses, nobody could do all of them, so i let it sit. so i'm not going to have time to code out long explanations right now, but now that the basic positions are there folks can get down to business, the thread should be ready for more. go ahead and say what you want.

Also those cranes can be slipped in for a beat before anyone even notices they are a different time

Simian posted a pic of a very interesting variation of a weave, weaving two atoms together and soneday i'd like to translate it into my language cause it has some potential for the thread.

offtopic

poibox i think you might want to stay for the week _after_, like i said we're throwing an after party with performances the next weekend, june 4th. but if that doesn't work pm me then i'll see what i can do...
EDITED_BY: arashi (1114995900)

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Arashi. How do you keep motivated talking about moves we were talking about like 3yrs ago at (dare i say it) f@ya club. Major inspriation dude THANK YOU

Im only just figuring half of it on now ubblol

Im glad people are starting to make things clearer, its all fitting the puzzle now.

I also like weaving different atoms together, 3 step atomics i call it, 3 different moves on different planes. Problem is you have to do it so fast to be able to see the pattern before it fades. shrug Im sure there are eaiser ways.
EDITED_BY: Dr4g0n7 (1115010417)

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I was just gonna suggest that maybe playing in 3 or more planes would be fun. One hand can spin in two vertical planes (think weave or reel where it crosses your midline) and the other spins horizontal. Actually, the horizontal poi could cheat and go super-slow so that the poi hang down diagonally, if that makes sense... so one hand overhead spinning the horizontal one around you, and then figure out the right pattern for the vertical planes.

Arashi, if you're serious about workshops, we can get them set up whenever you want. If you tied it in with the Fire Arts Festival (https://www.thecrucible.org/calendar/faf_05.html) that would be amazing, too... Blueboy on here arranged all the workshops that Andy taught at (sold out, even though we missed having Nick!) and I can hook you up with someone to arrange them in Santa Cruz, Sacremento, or LA if you'd like. After FireDrums, we have a big surge in interest, so lots of possibilities.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
arashi, by all means.. post something up when you get some time mate.. to be honest, I did the stuff in your thread... I even said that in some posts in there.. I just havent found anything to really get me going.. I think I said that as welll.. I liked the vert/hor atomics.. but (and this is going to sound very asinine) I didnt really have the time, or the desire to pursue it, and from what I had gathered of the vert/vert ones, was planning on it anytime soon.. as far as I was concerned, it was just some more bf stuff..

so post more, I might get inspired.. or it might click on with some of the other people.. I know spiral and nx have played quite a bit, and would give you some discussion, like they the other stuff.. so I didn't really see it as 'dead'.. I don't get time to practice anymore, some I picky with where I spend my time, but I've only 2 more weeks this semester and I'll have all summer to work on stuff..

besides.. one thing I liked about atoms was that it was easier to get into a 3rd degree atom than a butterfly/ttn..

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

[First; could we make the habit of linking postings on variations back to the original thread? i'll post a link to this thread as well.]

[Old link] tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

nice pic arashi.

been playing yes, have opened up into making hyperloops anywhere with any kind of plane, but its all intuitive, i just slam the strings together and wiggle them about untill it comes out. I have no idea what my atom loops look like, or even very much about how they work, been following the 'relax' and play more attitude, which has opened up trinity very nicly and really helped my performance style.

I think atoms need time to gestate, I dunno how long arashi has been playing, but im just out of appretiship and only a journyman at the moment, ask me again in another 4 years.

besides, I have to get five balls really solid so i can do it as my contact finale, and thoes silly clubs are taking up a lot of time. if we want to get a fund together to bring arashi to london this autum (maybe to bristol convention?) then id be up for that, but toherwise im happy to play for another summer and see what happens. progress dosnt get slower as you advance, it just gets more subtle.

ramble ramble ramble.... wink

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Page: