Forums > Help! > Cud anyone in the Reading area give me poi lessons please??

Login/Join to Participate

phatfishnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Hi!!

I have just bought 4 sets of poi... fire, glowing things and UV kite type ones and want to pick the art up real quick.. especially in time for Glade!! I have learned the very very basic moves but want to learn all the good stuff from someone very patient and willing to teach me.. I am happy to pay!!

Thanks in advance
Dave

There are only four questions of importance in life: What is sacred, of what is the spirit made, what is worth living for, and what is worth dying for. The answer to all of them is the same. Only love

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
define "good stuff" xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and why in such a rush dude...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

phatfishnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
well that depends, it could mean one of two things, one of which I am not allowed to mention I think!!!

Ha ha!

.. do you teach poi by any chance? I also live in Oxfordshire when the mood suits me as rent a place there to!

There are only four questions of importance in life: What is sacred, of what is the spirit made, what is worth living for, and what is worth dying for. The answer to all of them is the same. Only love

phatfishnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
.. am very inpatient!!

GRRRR.. hee hee

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Strange though this might sound, spinning poi is not the only pleasure associated with the art. There is an almost accepted process of learning- frustrations, breakthroughs, droughts, epiphanies. It it were as simple as someone just teaching you everything over a matter of weeks or months, I reckon you'd miss out on much of the experience.

Also, whilst many people spin to look good, you'll only get the most out of it if you love what you're doing. In my opinion, get reading the forums, watching videos, going to meets- no other spinner will look down on you if you're not amazing over night. That way you'll grow to learn the control and respect that the art needs to be performed at its best, you'll eventually be a far better spinner, and most importantly, you'll have had the opportunity to make meet and participate in the huge active and diverse community full of absolutely lovely people.

Why deny yourself so much pleasure and satisfaction by rushing it all?

Good luck, and remember to enjoy it smile Happy Spinning,

Chutney smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
A person can LEARN as fast as he/she wants but the stuff learnt will only be possible with the right amount of practice. Regardless of weather or not he has a teacher, hes still going to have to practice and experience things on his own.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Yup thats true- you will though find it extremely hard to learn any of the harder 'good stuff' moves without decent plane control though, and those only come with a lot of spinning.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
LOLz

so many people come to me and ask if i could teach them...
then turn tail and run when they realise that they actually have to practice... LOTS!

The quickest way to learn is to get the small things right... the very basics... timings, directions, perfecting planes... take your poi with you when you go shopping... when you're walking down the street... when you're having a smoke break.. everywhere... and just spin them... the more you spin twirl and turn... the more you extend your energy to the end of the poi, and the more it becomes part of you! eventually you wont even think about it, it'll just come naturally!

you can always see the people who practice... Stevo has been practicing this week... and i can already see it... he's been taking them to work and walking around the warehouse with them! Hey Stevo! keep that up and you'll be able to play fire in your sleep!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: phatfish

well that depends, it could mean one of two things, one of which I am not allowed to mention I think!!!

i assume a girl is involved then ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mr Chutney

Strange though this might sound, spinning poi is not the only pleasure associated with the art. There is an almost accepted process of learning- frustrations, breakthroughs, droughts, epiphanies. It it were as simple as someone just teaching you everything over a matter of weeks or months, I reckon you'd miss out on much of the experience.

Also, whilst many people spin to look good, you'll only get the most out of it if you love what you're doing. In my opinion, get reading the forums, watching videos, going to meets- no other spinner will look down on you if you're not amazing over night. That way you'll grow to learn the control and respect that the art needs to be performed at its best, you'll eventually be a far better spinner, and most importantly, you'll have had the opportunity to make meet and participate in the huge active and diverse community full of absolutely lovely people.

Why deny yourself so much pleasure and satisfaction by rushing it all?

Good luck, and remember to enjoy it smile Happy Spinning,

Chutney smile

Well said mate bounce bounce2

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

phatfishnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Mr Chutney
ICon
Shu
PyroWILL

Thanks guys for replying to my message... I shall give the learning of the poi 110% of my time, concentration and the passion they deserve... am determined to get it right!

PyroWILL - yup most definitely a girl involved.. the most beautiful and fab one in da world actually!! But I shan't tell her that!! Hee hee

X

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
awwww... me... your 2 kind! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

phatfishnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
How did you know?

... damn clever you are!!

x

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
i hereby declare this thread "phatfish is an outrageous flirt" biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Swing your balls.

bounce

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ok here is a spelling lesson. It's COULD not cud..... cows chew cud!

Sorry, but it bugs me. I'm dyslexic and I at least make an effort to spell correctly. I'm not saying I always hit the mark but at least I try.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
There is a "check spelling" button when you post a new message.

I reckon NO ONE uses it.

smile
EDITED_BY: Unfortunatly Can Obtain Fruit (1114802903)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Phatfish- goodluck with the girl and the spinning smile

kateswingsfirenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
devil devil devil bounce bounce

One downsite of rushing learning how to use poi is the amount of bruises you aquire! Ever been hit on the ear?

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Good Luck phatfish

Don't get hit in the ... erm ... i dont need to tell you tht hey!

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

phatfishnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Sorry for silence, been too busy to get on the site.. excuses excuses excuses!!

Fine Rabid Dog & Mr Chutney.. ha ha, thanks dudes... shall concentrate on both, but one more than the other!!

Skullduggery - sorry buddy, is a habit to abbreviate certain words.. saves on time don't you know!!

kateswingsfire - have managed to get myself dead centre of the forehead... hurt like hell I can tell you.. luckily I haven't lit the little blighters yet, but soon... I shall burn!! Shall be careful of my ears!!

Cheers Shu, I am making sure that my aim is pretty exact.. (thx for the encouragement). I need all the encouragement I can get!

.. sorry bout the (thx & bout) Skullduggery and Unfortunately Can Obtain Fruit.. am just too damn lazy!!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
keep it up !

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

i hereby declare this thread "phatfish is an outrageous flirt" biggrin

well he'll get on great here

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Written by: kateswingsfire

Ever been hit on the ear?

Yes. Oooh yes.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988