Forums > Videos > Two tutorial videos (hyperloop buzzsaw and a yo-yo wrap)

Login/Join to Participate

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Well, reading the board again lately, I was struck by the need for more instructional type videos. I managed to learn two new tricks a couple of days ago, and that's usually the best time to write up instructions, since your experimentations are still in your head. So, I threw together two videos last night.

One for the hyperloop buzzsaw you keep going and the other for a kind of wrap/trace commonly found in yo-yoing. Not quite as visually interesting as it is it is with yo-yos, since the circles are about the same size here instead of the varying lengths with yo-yos, but it still gives the cool illusion that one is passing through the tether of the other.

First, some disclaimers. As I said, I JUST learned these, so my technique is pretty shakey. In the case of hyperloop buzzsaw, this may actually be a good thing, since my hand movements are a bit more exaggerated. Was in a hurry, so no music or fancy effects. Also, I'm left-handed so keep that in mind. You may or may not want to reverse what I'm doing. smile

They're about a minute and a half each, with different angles, slo-mo, etc. They are 640x480, encoded with XviD, and around 16 megs each.

Also, despite how it looks, you need to click on each file first and THEN save as from the screen that appears:
https://www.yoyoing.com/shawn/videofiles/spinning/

I hope this helps someone!
Shawn

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
They are amazing videos, very easy to understand! Good work, I can't wait to get home and try them!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
filming it from that angle makes it soooooooo much easier to understand........thank you so much, at last i think i know what i'm supposed to be doing!!

*runs off to try it out*

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
Wow!!! Go you mate!!!! that´d be the kind of tutorial video i was waiting for... my whole life! damn amazing.

thanx for your efforts.
hope it isn´t the last one wink

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Holy... what the... my brain hurts! Between this and the new Toxic vid (Rev's gonna post it soon)... my mind is officially blown.

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Absolutely amazing vids. Does anyone know how well these translate to ball chain? The poi I am playing with are too short to try the yo-yoing trick, and my hyperloop/airwrap technique is still poor and the tangler is similar to that, but when I try it with ball-cahin there is just major slippage... any advice?

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
My issue seems to be lack of slippage... I need to work on it a bit more and watch the vids a few more times, but I feel like things need to be able to slide around a bit more, especially on the wrap.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
They are really nicely put together shawn- thanks for taking the time to make such thorough videos smile

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Orbit,
I think one of the important things which he doesn't really edify in the video, though you can see him doing it, during the Yo-Yo wrap is that (assuming you are wrapping around youre right wrist) you do have to rotate your right wrist around the weight, but the left hand is not just spinning the chain/rope. As the weight crosses the 12 o'clock mark and the left hand follows it downwards, it also moves in a little. The left hand moves in and out, slightly closer and then slightly farther from the right, ot give a little extra slack and then tighten it off, over and over again. it is that extra slack that allows the whole twist to rotate around your wrist, instead of just wrapping over and over again. Hope that helps! (Note - Even with my longer poi I still cannot do the move either, with rope or ball chain poi, but that is what looks important in the video).

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Woo.. nice to see more comments. smile

Well, I know there is definitely slippage in yo-yo string, though the way it is wound does give it some texture. I don't currently own any chains, so it is hard for me to check how the tricks work on different props.

I think you can get away without much slippage on hl buzzsaw (judging from times I've accidently double wrapped it) as long as it is set up very evenly from the start and kept going smoothly. The slippage does give you more flexibility in kinds of corrections, though you have to be carefull about having the tangle area slip too far to one side by accident, which makes one side longer than the other, though you can usually slip it back the other way before it goes out of control totally.

krakfiend69: Hmm.. you're probably right. To tell you the truth, I never noticed myself doing that. I'll have to look closer. But yeah slippage is probably more important in this trick. I would guess that the slack/taut isn't just about letting the weight rotate in the slack, but also that the taut pull helps keep momentum on the wrapped weight to pull it around.

There's also the issue of friction on your arm itself. Some yo-yo people actually wear a cut off sock or pantyhose on their arm to help reduce the friction and string burn during that kind of wrap.

If you have storter poi and/or it doesn't slip well, you may want to try the other variation on the yo-yo wrap. Instead of having the weight wrap on the side farther from you, have it wrap on the inner side instead. Harder to keep it going for multiple revolutions without it popping off your arm, but can easily stick in couple and get it off without having to unwrap to the outside.

Cheers,
Shawn

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Can't see them, it says file moved frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Dunc... you mean you can't download or can't play? If you're having trouble downloading, make sure you click on the file first and then save from there. If you try to Save As from the directory listing, you'll just save a html file instead.

If you're having trouble playing, make sure you have XviD or DivX codec installed.

Shawn

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
Hey Shawn perhaps its too early too ask, but i was wondering... are u gonna make more of this kind of tutorial videos?

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Arkos,

Well hopefully I can eventually, but the main problem is that I don't actually know that many tricks right now..haha.

I mean I can do some of the basic moves (thread the needle, fountain, etc), but those are pretty well covered by the free lessons. I suppose BTB Weave could be something, since it is confusing at first. Still, that trick is mostly about flexibility.. There's five-beat weave... and umm.. the 5 beat version of the horizontal weave thing.. forget what it's called.

That's about all I know. Haven't gotten to learning isolations yet. Still no idea what flowers are. Not flexible enough for waist wraps, etc..heh

I'm going to try learning hyperloop buzzsaw in the other direction and harder variations.. and some yowrap variations. Will see how it goes..

Shawn

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Ok, I only managed to download one of the videos, the hyperloop buzzsaw one. and I just have to say..

This is one of the best tutorial videos I've ever seen.....

One Wheel Dave put up a video about a year ago, the Albatross,, if I remember correctly ,,,it was video with accompanying text that was easy to understand.

But I prefer your format, text IN the video.

Keep up the good work

SirEggomember
37 posts

Posted:
I understand now what I call a tangle you guys call the buzzsaw, ok try this buzzsaw and let the Poi release and grab it in the same hand while keeping the buzzsaw. (try wooden handles)

where there are ashes from those burnt by flame
the phoenix rises again and again.