Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire-eating wicks, alternative to cotton/Kevlar?

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi Everyone,

As an experienced fire-eater I’ve tried many torches and wicks but can't seem to find anything between my own custom cotton torches and my Kevlar type torches. I need something that burns for a reasonable amount of time (like Kevlar) but is damp enough to tongue transfers, etc (like cotton). Don't get me wrong, I love Kevlar but I just find it too dry to drag over my arms and get a reasonable wall of fire. Unfortunately the cotton type of torch needs to be constantly blown out and re-dipped with fuel or they burn.

Is there any type of wick that fits that description? umm

Cheers,

Matthew O'Keyes

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
there are some good torches here
the 'hybrid' wick torches are kevlar outside, cotton inside, considdering gettin a couple myself, or making my own.

hope this helps,

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks for the link.

I'll buy a pair of these but they don't seem that incredible but the idea of combining cotton and Kevlar is genius, don't know why I didn't think of it! By the looks of them, you can most probably make your own that would come out better. I use barbeque skewers with 2' non-wire reinforced Kevlar and they are the best torches I have ever used. When i have the time i'll post a picture of what i came up with.

Matt.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

The design I use is in many respects similar to the mr babache fire eating / breathing sticks, i use 10mm or 12mm duralimin tubing, either 1" or 2" kevlar which additional to the outside material is internally chambered, giving much greater fuel retention and burning times.

mark