Forums > Help! > Metal Contact Balls - Where?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I've been looking for some time for metal contact balls, like the one's that Durbs had at falmouth. I've seen them on Ebay, But I keep getting outbid, and don't fancy paying in excess of £25 for one.

Does anyone know anywhere that sells these? Why are they such a rarity?

To see exactly which ones I mean, go to [Old link] and it's the first thing you see on the video.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Didn't have time to check out the video, i'll try to a bit later on but are the anything like these? https://www.dube.com/ball/8.html

I have an acrylic 3" contact juggling ball from dubé and love it!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yes!! They are the ones!!

Just need somewhere in the UK that does them now...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I live in Australia and find there shipping cost quite resonable and there service is second to none (from my experience). You can email Patricia (info@dube.com) with your shipping address (just your state and country) and what you wish to purchase, she can give you a quote on the shipping cost in USD. Pat normally replies to me within 24 hours, with 3 different shipping options and prices. I normally get everything sent by USPS Express Mail (insured), takes approx. 3-4 business days for delivery from the day they ship, pending normal customs clearance.

Worth checking out,

Matthew O'Keyes

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hi, i was in belfast a few days ago and I got draged to a DIY/ house decoration store and found something along the lines of minimalist metallic fruit bowl things which where basically metal balls in a bowl. Not perfectly round but pretty damn close, but on the plus side the 4" balls only cost 4 euros!!! The 3" ones where only 3. I could belive my eyes, they were only slightly heavier than acrylics. I my eyes the were pretty much prefect. I lucky find i admit, but it does promote looking in strange places for your cj needs. I'll post a vid of them once i get back home (bout a week and a half) so you can have a look,

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've seen a good few of those at conventions etc; like you say, they're not perfectly round, but they are very cheap- in the UK, generally a few £.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
www.firetoys.co.uk

I could be wrong, but i think they might have them

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
The one's that I mean are perfectly round, and very shiny/reflective. Alas, Firetoys don't do them.

Be Water My Friend.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hmm when i say not perfectly round I mean barely. Take for granted that acrylics are also not "perfectly" round. In fact as far as i know perfectly round does'nt exsist. I sure I'll be corrected on that though smile As far as shiny goes they are reflective enough to film yourself in. Ok the link a few posts up, those do look alittle nicer but there pretty much the same. Price wise, the slight imperfection balance out though.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Mot... where in belfast did you find these balls?!!!!

Getting to the other side smile

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hmmm colleen dragged me there, argh what was it called, hmmmm something wishy wash, Argh, i cant remember, i think it was something like all naturel, or sumfin :P She bought a few for her brother aswel, she'll know. The place was closing down soon though.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
The ones I saw at the convention had been bought from a shop called 'au natural' as well, I think.

Another set were bought from some kind of 'new-age-y decor' bathroomy type shop.

I tried both sets and they were definitly more lacking in 'roundness perfection' than any acrylic I've used.

But, for the price I would have liked to buy some; unfortuately sheffield lacks an 'au natural' store.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
yes, you can buy them from au natural, I saw some in there (no flat bit) the other day and nearly bought one, says its aluminium. Au natural is the shop that is quite often in the same space as INTERNATIONAL, the cheap clothes shop. The balls cost £2 for a good sized one

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
does this shop have a website?

I think they would be OK balls, The one's that Durbs has are perfect (at least, I can't see any imperfections in them) and I'm guessing his aren't the only ones ever made!!

Be Water My Friend.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I had a look for a website and can't find one but they are everywhere! if theres a large town or a city there will be an internacionale (clothes) shop which will have an au natural in there, if your in a city au natural often have a separate shop as well. You'll just have to look round ask some girls or something! good luck! I just bought a 80mm for £2, downside to it is that the silver has got scratched a little bit and is showing gold underneath (partly from the fact I can't actually contact juggle) so if your looking for a good one then it might not be suitable anyway.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey, not wanting to start a new thread, has anyone used black contact balls, im wondering if they get dity etc easily.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i've got a black acrylic (be careful - don't get fobbed off with a black polycarb...) and i love it.

it actually appears less scuffed then my clear ones and i've used it as much if not more than those.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Yup a mate of mine has also got an black poly, still looks lovley, gives a nice anti grav black holey effect.

Anyway heres a vid of those metal balls I bought for around 3 pounds each

Contact juggling effort, 2005, with elcheapo balls bought in belfast. And a acrylic ball stand made by my most favourite person in the whole wide world

ubblove

Contact juggling10mb wmv.

A pleasey use the right clicky and the savey as:

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey tom, where'd you get those cheapy balls of which you speak?

Au Natural?! Where is that?

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hmm tainted took me there, I know about 3 places in belfast now smile but I've got no idea where there are in relation to eachother. Not to sure about the name of the shop either, it was something like that. But I'm sure tainted will be able to tell you.

Anyway if you walk from jury's to the waterfront, it's kindof generally on your right hand side. Thats about as close as i can get :P

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, thanks... I'll ask Colleen smile

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mot

Anyway heres a vid of those metal balls I bought for around 3 pounds each
Contact juggling effort, 2005, with elcheapo balls bought in belfast. And a acrylic ball stand made by my most favourite person in the whole wide world
ubblove

aw, that's cheating!!!!!! IT'S A TRICK VIDEO and badly done as well....
I know that the balls are suspended by threads, because balls can't move like that on a person...
and later you edited the threads out, and really badly I must say: sometimes the edit makes your hands look all blurry.

next time when you attemp to fool us, you should use some better editing or maybe learn some real juggling skills...

wink nice job hug

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ed - mine are Au Natural balls too, just bought at the MushiPea stall (For a bit of mark-up I might add)

Firepoise - If you're going shopping for them balls, would you mind bulk buying? I guess P&P ain't going to be cheap, but cheaper than a flight to ireland smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol. Funny contacting juggling types.

How many balls would you like young Durbs?

Perhaps we could swap... balls for Falmouth video?!! Tee hee biggrin

Anyways... I'll see you when you come to the Irish gathering, won't I?!! tongue

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
100 - then I can sell them for hundreds of pounds each and make enough money to come to Ireland wink

(Or maybe just 8)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol. Ok then.

But I'd still like to give them to you in person... then you can show me how to do 8-ball contact juggling tongue

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I can't learn it until I have the balls...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. I see the point.

Alrighty then, I'll see what I can do.

hug

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Au naturale homepage, complete with store finder...

monkeys ate my brain

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wow. Thanks biggrin hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Damnit - How did you find that?!