Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > staff spinning with tiny hands?

Login/Join to Participate

vanillanewbie
21 posts

Posted:
I really do like the lessons for staff spinning on this site, but I'm not able to perform. My problem is that even if I'm trying the basic move, I have to press the staff to my breast, to get the right grip with the staff over my thumbs and under my palms, that I'm not able to move it anyway. Is there a possibility to turn it only with the fingers, or has anyone ever tried something similar?

thank you
Vanilla (who likes the sky)

city-pirate!

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
can you explain what you are trying to do?

ummm if the way shown dosent work, play around a bit, and after a while you will find a way round, that works better for you, individulism makes staff beautiful.....oh no getting all philosophical........hope that helps

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
There's lots of finger twirling you can do, but it sounds like you should just try a thinner staff. What are you using now?
linda

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
hi vanilla,

If you are referring to Hop staff lesson #2 - A Full Rotation in Each Hand, the two-handed spin aka The Rotor or Propeller. Then it ain’t basic, it takes a lot of practice, but you will get it after a while. Read Bec’s description. Little fingers face up.

cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PrayerFireAngelBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
I know when I was watching Bec's version of the rotor I didn't "get it" either. Its different than when Charles does it but after watching Susan Orr's Baton twirling DVD's now I can do it the way Bec does it. I have small hands as well.

May All Your Prayers Be Heard...

vanillanewbie
21 posts

Posted:
Back again and thanks for all your help. So you think it helpful to invest in the fire twirling book, for I found at least charles' description, but couldn't go with that.

@Stone: It was lesson#1. redface

@linda: my staff is about 2-2,5cm, that seems not so much to me.

Thanks so far. I've tried to do the same move over my index, and it works quite good, but I have to check out, how fast one can do that.

city-pirate!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
confused

Lesson # 1 is “Length of Staff” not width wink

Bec’s description is different to Xaeda’ vid. There is a simpler way, perhaps someone could describe it.

“ little fingers up “

cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mavadonewbie
11 posts

Posted:
I don't blame you vanilla, I can't do even that for myself and yet I can do some more complicated stuff I don't know what it's called.