Forums > Social Discussion > McDonalds' ANZAC Day ads - Australia, mainly

Login/Join to Participate

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Having been watching the wally box a little more often than usual of late, I've noticed that McD's have had some really strong, moving ANZAC day adverts over the last couple of years.

One from two or three years ago now was an elderly gentleman, in a suit, with medals on (evidently intended to be a veteran), drinking coffee at maccas. The girl working glances at him a few times, then, when he finishes his coffee, goes out and gives him a refill. He thanks her, at which point she says something like 'no, thank you'. The ad itself was a lot better than my explination of it, but hopefully that serves as a reminder for those who know the ad im talking about, but couldn't quite remember it.

The other one, for this years ANZAC day, is a lot more moving. It starts off looking at a table, with four elderly men, in suits, with medals, drinking coffee (veterans again). They're chatting away, camera cuts to girl (possibly 18,19ish?) watching them. cuts back to the four men, and one fades away. The other three keep talking, camera cuts back to girl, looking a little sadder. this repeats until there's one left, looking very sad and lonely, sipping his coffee. When i saw it, i thought it was an extended version of the other ad, up there, but after cutting from the girl, the last man fades away as well. the camera cuts back to the girl, who looks like she's about to cry. The screen fades to black, and says 'they may be gone, but they'll never be forgotten'

Both adverts were, i think, very moving and well thought of. I'm somewhat amazed that Mcdonald's were the people that made that sort of advert, but there you go.

Has anyone seen these, or other especially moving adverts? If so, please comment, give opinions, talk about them, etc.

And have a moment's silence today, in rememberance.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
pardon me, but what does ANZAC stand for? i know nothing of this over in these parts, i've heard people mention it before, but i didn't dwell on it

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
As moving as the ad is.. i cant help but look at the motives behind it...

would it be feasable that McDonalds are trying to make themselves look good? Just a thought...

Tis a good advert by the sound a things tho...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The original ANZAC's stormed Gallipoli, a beach later to be called ANZAC cove, on the 25th of April, 1915, against overwhelming opposition, in an attack very similar to the invasion of Normandy. It's really quite a big thing over here, there's a public holiday, and dawn services, and a football match frown (i dont like AFL).

And yeah, it probably is just McDonalds making themselves look like they care, to show they arent just a heartless corporation bent on taking over the world, but i really didnt expect to see them put something like this out.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi MiG,

I saw the censored ads last year, and commented in the macdonalds thread at the time.

I think it is disgusting that macdonalds use emotional advertising, based on the ANZAC tradition, to sell burgers.

mad2

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
too true

lest we forget

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
McDonald's do some really good stuff.
They give housing to parents with really sick children while they are in hospital, they support ANZAC's...even if they are promoting their company in the ANZAC ads, they infact, aknowledging it...
They may be advertising, but they are taking notice of it...

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
As an Aussie who's been AWOL for the last five years, thanks for the reminder that this is the day to remember the ANZACs and our other brave servicemen and women.
If McDs hadn't made the ads, you wouldn't have commented on them, and I would have forgotten, once again.

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
i love 2 up so much,
i feel that i have a problem in that i dont feel very patriotic about Australia, do you think thats a personal thing or that we just arent very partiotic as a nation.....?

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I'm not very patriotic either, but I have friends who are... I can't work it out. confused

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
since reading Fast Food Nation I've lost all sympathy for anything McD's do. And I've not been in one of their "restaurants" (if you can call them that) since.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
Yeh, im not very patriotic...im more concerned bout the world rather than one bit of it.....
Im not a big fan of McD's either, big companies are only concerned bout profits...why else would they pay their employees [censored] all for working in a hot, busy and stressful environment (trust me fast food is!)

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Sakura Moon, why does Mc Ds do these good things? out of compassion? out of love for humanity? dont be nieve.

Mc Donalds is a multi national corpration whos only function is profit. if mc Donalds were really sincre about helping sick children would it be important to them to plaster their name over it all, so much so as to call it a RONALD MC DONALD HOUSE?????? they only do it to get good publicity and the fact that they are using the ANZAC spirit is damn insulting to anybody that died with an ANZAC badge. ANZACs did not die for profit, they died for people and to use peoples emotions as a marketing tool is discraceful.

anyway, its total bull**** that any veteran would go to maccas to have a cra**y coffee after a service when they could go to an RSL!

(burn maccas to the ground)

(arg)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
off my soapbox now................ ubbloco

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
well said smile

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Whoa! thats a bit aggressive...

*leaves thread*

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
The original intention of this thread was more to discuss the ads themselves, and/or similar ads, than to start bitching about maccas. We all know maccas is an evil corporation bent on world domination, and its a point thats been thrashed to hell and back on this board. So, lets get over the 'hating maccas' bit, and on to what was supposed to be a rational discussion of emotion-provoking tv/advertisements.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
amen

it

is