Page:
DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ok, ive been playing around with this idea for a month or so now, but without the time to really dedicate to nailing it.

i figured out this concept when thinking about 5 hole staff theory [who was it that posted that thread anyway?] - but rather than thinking about what 'holes' are there to be played with, what body parts can be used.

The matrix is a brilliant starting point - it used 4 out of 5 of the classical 'holes' [ie under arm, neck/shoulder, neck/shoulder other side, underarm otherside - the only 'hole' it doesnt use is between the legs, no pun intended...]. but rather than thinking about it in terms of holes, contact staff is better thought of in pivot points.

the entrance to what i call the matix [Sydney contact staff scene is bugger-all so i may have some definitions wrong] rotation staff anticlockwise is to enter with my right hand to left side of neck so it rotates around neck and you can tilt your body and use over exagerrated hand movements to flick it around under my right arm pit to the front side.

here i have used 2 pivots - 1st my neck, then 2nd my shoulder/armpit to spin the staff around.

Just before this point, if i enter into a cartwheel to my left side, the staff can spin around my back as an extra pivot to catch on my left side as i exit from the cartwheel.

Now - i have managed to do this twice out of 50 or so attempts. the first time i tried it, as soon as i was halfway though the cartwheel - all i could focus on was the staff on my back - and i forgot the second half of the cartwheel, and landed heavily on the dirt.

but it feels like most contact - very weird until you are used to the muscle memory. I think another problem is i dont yet have enough explosive athletic power to flip 87 kg of me around fast enough

i dont really have time in my life to practise too much as present, but wondered if anyone else have played around with this idea with more success?

anyway, peace, love, and hugs, to all the contact staffers out there. peace kiss hug

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1114393751)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
No but thats sounds wicked man! Will have a play next time it gets warm...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
hummmm, if i knew how to do cartwheels, then i would try,
good to play with tho i think, roll on summer biggrin

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I might be able to do just enough of the matrix to try that.

nice one

smile

Love is the law.

duncanhnewbie
1 post

Posted:
https://homepages.ihug.com.au/~rsywp/index.htm

Hi this might help, with cartwheel contact variants. Also contains some other really cool stuff as well biggrin

Hope it helps

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: duncanh

https://homepages.ihug.com.au/~rsywp/index.htm

Hi this might help, with cartwheel contact variants. Also contains some other really cool stuff as well biggrin

Hope it helps

meh that guy on that site is useless, and i bet he's a crap contact twirler too!!!

a very easy peasy acrobatic movement that looks contacty is to perform a 'macaco' (monkey flip) with the staff held securely in a neck pinch.
- with the staff in a neck pinch, it's in quite a similar position to continue into a matrix movement
- the macaco starts in a crouch and finishes in a cartwheel movement, so it has the momentum to follow onto a second cartwheel
- i like llama.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
yeah and he smells

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
bender were you at the EJC last year in france just someone showed me this monkey flip extactly as you describe it?

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
oohohoh ooooh how did i fail to notice this thread?

argh

no time to write piles of crap!

argh

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

6,978 posts

Posted:
no, i was too short to attend the Edinburgh Jockeys' Club this year, fingers crossed for next!!

you don't want to hear my edinburgh accent, it's totally doss.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Written by: T&B

bender were you at the EJC last year in france just someone showed me this monkey flip extactly as you describe it?

ubbangel

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
I had the same idea for that cartwheel move from a matrix but also had problems with concentrating on the staff too much. the one thing i did find out is that you have to spend a little longer on the first bit of the cartwheel (i.e. your first hand to go down) to give the staff time to get between your legs. after that i usually end up getting my legs caught in the staff as i fall over but practice makes perfect i guess.

"Don't do it naked!"

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Brad and I have been working on cartwheels and rolls for the last couple of weeks. It's fairly easy to just put the stick on your neck static, cartwheel, and then come out into whatever pattern you like.

The ninja roll looks better, as does the staff arab spring (like an arab spring, but with one end of the staff in the ground - kinda like a pole vault)

Will one day finish editing the hours and hours of footage we have of us being lovely with sticks and let you all see it. But not today.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Been working on the steve cartwheel and i recon its possible to get into the first half of a matrix before you get back onto your feet but im still working on it.
Mags whats an arab spring? not too up on terminology. is there a vid around already with it on?

"Don't do it naked!"

6,978 posts

Posted:
it's a reference to an olde rifle twirling video. smile

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
arab springs are similar to cartwheels, also known as 'round offs'. more energetic than a cartwheel and lands on both feet at once facing opposite direction to the way you faced when u started. can lead into other acro moves like backflips etc (though whether possible with a staff i have nooooo idea lol for you crazy lot smile)

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

6,978 posts

Posted:
roundoffs? i broke both bones in my right shin doing one.
heartily suggest not breaking nothing.
'cept hearts.
or promises.

actually don't break anything.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Can now kinda do a one handed cartwheel with the staff. You kinda hold it out in front of you and turn it in the direction your body goes as you go over.

Hard to explain.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I find the easiest way into a 1 handed cartwheel is from backwards double shot gun or when adding 2 extra circles behind headfrom backwards, stick in right hand and planting left hand...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
im nearly there with steve cartwheel steve smile

and i hate french keyboards

Love is the law.

Bizcuitmember
12 posts

Posted:
i usually do my 1 handed cartwheels holding the staff in my support hand. And just roll off the knuckles. If you really put your mind into it you can rotate your hips in mid air and land with the same foot as you jumped from. It takes some mental geometry, but looks nice in the end... kind of like a rolling 180. If i had a dvc i would post a vid

What is the definition of the word is?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
here's a teaser im working on....

right hand staff around back of neck left side, and enter into matrix under right armpit. Instead of the full matrix, let the staff roll down to your hip - while doing this simultaneously spin round to the left and collapse the left leg so you are on the ground on your left side as the staff reaches your hip.

flick right leg up in an arc around to the right side, so staff essentially comes around to balance on general groin area (no jokes please...) flick left leg around following staff and right leg direction. you can get an amazing amount of power flicking your two legs around like this - enough to flick your entire body around 120 degrees flat on the ground while rolling over. Ill leave you to work it out from there.
I have no idea about break dancing, but i think this might be the basis of a break move ive heard called the windmill. basically i think ive worked out a way to combine this cool legs/body spinning this while the staff pivots between the groin and general buttock area.

Im nowhere near nailing yet - but most staffers ive gone through this with agree that it should work in theory. ive got a full free day this saturday so hopefully i can learn a bit more control. the main sticking point is controlling the body flick/spin to to the same spin rate as my staff.

byeee! hug wave

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
*Bump*

So i've landed the move above a couple of times now (been calling it a full twister but call it whatever you like) and am trying to work out more groundwork style stuff. Also once just about managed an ultimate roll (so called cos it's been my ultimate goal in contact for around 4 years) which is basically the same thing as above but with a cartwheel.

So now i want MORE, have been working on a sort of cross between a 1 handed cartwheel and a backflip that i recon could work with contact. Matrix down to your hip, flip backwards and the staff should wrap your leg, do 1 beat on your bum/hip and roll back up the way it came.

Another one i've been working on, which is a little easier, is to steve matrix down to your hip, do a cartwheel and wrap the staff round your leg and down so when you land you finnish in a kick up position.

Oh and a slightly silly one with your legs, lie on your back, legs bent with feet off the floor, roll the staff across your right knee onto your left, now move your left leg out away from your body to change the direction of spin a little and roll the staff over your left foot onto your right, then repeat from there. The staff basically does the same motion as it would for a turning halo roll but with an extra beat at the feet. Not sure about the attractiveness of this move as you look a bit like a dying crab biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
Iv been playing with this a tiny bit two....i have identified a few problems...

the biggest issue is that cartwheels are fast....its tumbling, and so your cartwheel either has to be good enough that you can slow it down without losing form, or your contact has to be so good that you can do the move really fast.

here are some other paths i have found for the staff, while doing a cartwheel.

angel/demon roll, down leg to foot, across to other foot, down other side (super speed issues)

angel roll down body, through crotch, down body on back side, to arm (less speed issues)

Upside down angel (vertical steve entry, upside down halo, vertical steve exit (least speed issues)

the bottom one is what im working on right now, i dont think my cartwheel is good enough for the rest of them, but im training it and its getting better

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Yea, i've found the same thing with controlling the speed of the cartwheel, i've mainly been working on slowing the cartwheel right down but its hard.

Written by :Tankboy

angel/demon roll, down leg to foot, across to other foot, down other side (super speed issues)

Do you mean you are essentilly doing an angel roll from hand to hand then hand to foot, foot to foot then foot to hand? eek I've thought of this but decided its faaaaar to difficult to reasonably attempt at the moment.

angel roll down body, through crotch, down body on back side, to arm (less speed issues)

So normal angel roll (behind the head) but letting it go down the body instead of up the other arm? then through the crotch and back up the other side? I like it, yoink smile

Upside down angel (vertical steve entry, upside down halo, vertical steve exit (least speed issues)

I really like this, im gonna steal it biggrin

Nice one dude, there some good ideas.
biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*Moved to Advanced*
'Cos it is tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Ta, tried to do that before but failed miserably redface

"Don't do it naked!"

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
New one that i cant do properly yet. Its not actually a cartwheel but similar.

There is a capoiera (sp?) kick where you balance on one hand and kick your back foot as if to kick your own head, i dont know what its called but a chap it the park showed it to me yesterday. You enter like you would a cartwheel but stall and go back the way you came.

Soooo.. you start the kick and place the staff in between your legs (like the entry for a twister) as you kick. The staff rolls through the legs, out the other side and down your waist/side towards your armpit. As the staff gets towards the armpit, land the kick and do a half matrix to get the staff onto your shoulder and steve out.

Like i say, i dont have this yet but there were a couple of near misses yesterday. Oh and REALLY warm up your arms before trying this, the kick means you have your full body weight on one arm for a couple of seconds and its easy to hurt yourself if your not careful.

Edit: forgot another move i thought of yesterday. I've just started getting no-handed cartwheels so im trying to do an upside down pinwheel with the pass btb at the peak of the cartwheel. Not contact i know but i recon it will look pretty cool when i start getting it.
EDITED_BY: -sandy- (1210853689)

"Don't do it naked!"

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
i think thats an L-Kick...at least thats the b-boy term for it.

i think i figured out an entry that is gonna make things interesting....experimentation to ensue soon, updates to come.

its starting with the staff on a foot, while entering the cartwheel......:-D!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hey nice to see people still working on these ideas. ive alas let my staffing slip over the last couple of years as ive moved onto other creative pursuits.

but i fully look forward to watching you nail these Sandy when i move over to UK later this year smile

peace out ubbrollsmile
D.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah sandy thats a cool kick. Ive just learned it too. I cant remember what its called either hehe. It can also be done to the side as an evasion, and it doesnt have to be stalled, it can turn into an Au (cartwheel) exit too.

BTB pinwheel while no-handed cartwheeling???! rockin. Just like the matrix! I've been working on no-handed cartwheel lately...tis pretty hard. Seems to require muscles I've not used yet. Oh well. thats Caps smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Page: