Forums > Social Discussion > Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Just went to see "White Noise"
Most of it creeped me out, but the rest of it got me thinking about EVP.
EVP is the recording of the sounds and images of people who have died and are still trying to communicate something.
Personally i believe in something more than death, beyond that, not hellbent on it, but i do believe.
I was searching the net and found some recordings, some of them sounded convincing, oters semed like they were made up.
Has anyone ever tried EVP?
It has been proven that 1 in 12 EVP recordings has been threatening...out of the thousands and thousands recorded.
On the advertisement for the movie, they used a real image that someone had found last year while studying EVP.
It was of a woman who died in 1984.
Thomas Edison said soemthing about it before tv was invented..will find it and post again

Opinions? Comments? Critiscism? Anyone think i'm insane?

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

NadishomeLiving life to the full!
177 posts

Posted:
I've always thought there was something more but never wanted to investigate or look into it. From a young age my Mum has warned me about bad spirits and stuff. She's not a strong believer but she is aware there is bad stuff out there that is not to be messed in and so never really wanted to get into it just incase!

But would be cool if was proven beound resonable doubt (sounding like a lawyer) that it was all true!

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I'll reply more fully to this later, when I've had some sleep, just finished a 12 hour night censored etc.

I have hours of evp recordings on digital mini disc, and dat, some of the more intersting stuff sampled and explored more fully, I also have twin 35 band graphic eq thats 70 channel overal. I have some intersting stuff, done a lot of paranormal research around abandoned buidings, where I was able to gain ower consent.

a lot of the material that is usually recorded is the result of poor screening etc, RFI rather than paranormal, if your going to explore this build yourself a farady cage etc, place recording device and high gain pick within etc.

mark

1,803 posts

Posted:
Is this a really boring subject or something?...lol

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i wana try it... how:D

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

For voice phenomena

Slightly more awake now, this can be as simple or as complex as you wish to make it, depending on how far you wish to go with it and of course your working budget. generally two areas, a digitial recording system aka mini disc will work for this and provides a decent amount of recording time in mono two or four hours, and one or more high gain microphones.

you can use tape is you don't want to have or wish to buy a mini disc, but you up against more noise etc.

additonal equip you might want would include graphic eq, and noise gates etc.

Additional notes on, use sealed disc(s), try not to reuse disc(s), this is more an issue with audio tape(s) though, which ever system you chose as your recorder make sure you can manually set record level(s), and buy the most expensive microphone you can afford, some good (although highly suspect) results have been gained by using dictaphones with built in mikes, but you really need to be using external microphones, generally I use boundary mics as these proffer a much better sensitivity that most other designs.

Thats really all there is to it, find a very empty building, set up a lock out room, keep every one out, althoug I've had some very good results with having peeps in the room.

Farady cage, yeah most of the scientific literature on evp points towards RFI interference as being one likely source of the recordings, I use am accomodating wire metal cage in which I place both md recorder and mic.

mark

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I've never tried this EVP, it is interesting though. Have seen Ouija boards being handled by mediums a few times with some very interesting results. I wouldn't recommend doing Ouija without an experienced person there with you, someone who's had a decade or so of experience with one. Some of my friends have been completely freaked out by them and claim to have had some pretty twisted experiences.

My mum went to see a clairvoyant the other week, she was sceptical about it but now she's convinced there's more to it than tricks.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
cool,
ive got a big amount of recording equipment for a 16 year old and my house is 80+ years old, so i might set it up one day, when everyone goes out. got access to alot of high quality eqs etc. thru my teacher who sells it all.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
ARGH damnit EVP is not possible

the universe is causally closed. that is, you don't get any physical effects (e.g. sounds, electricity) without physical causes (e.g. something hitting something, a wire going through a magnetic field, etc). ghosts aren't physical, so can't cause physical effects, such as EVP, damnit.

please, please, please - I know I'm a sceptic, but i'm a sceptic for a very good reason; namely, science (which is our best guide to what's going on) says it's not possible.

ture na sig

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by:

i'm a sceptic for a very good reason; namely, science (which is our best guide to what's going on) says it's not possible.

I second that. Most of these things are just clustering illusions or pareidolia. There is a theory that humans have evolved such 'skills' to combat camouflage, although I don't know how much research has gone in to this.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I agree with quiet and Sym. This is all a bit close to the various Christian sites out there with "genuine" recordings taken of screaming voices in Hell which you apparently get if you dig a deep enough hole in the ground...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

I agree with quiet and Sym. This is all a bit close to the various Christian sites out there with "genuine" recordings taken of screaming voices in Hell which you apparently get if you dig a deep enough hole in the ground...

I think many of us here would very much appreciate it if you could put links up to some of those smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Warning: Creationist Christian site link:

https://www.creationists.org/hell.html#screams

I should state that this is bound to either be a 'fake' recording or what we are hearing just plays of our minds in a way we have no control over.
EDITED_BY: Sym_ (1114624201)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Just becasue science says its not true doesnt mean it isnt.. thats a very close minded view. But it is YOUR view so I will respect that.

The recordings of 'hell' are mighty fine scare tactics. They even say

"Concerning the alleged screams from Hell recordings, this appears to be a clever hoax."

I know that there are fakes and charlaitians out there, but I have also experiened enough to know that there is other energy out there that we are able to work with, I am a believer.

Im a clairvoyant and I deal with this type of thing on a day to day basis... sometimes they wont STOP talking...

Im really interested in some of the recordings that you have made mark... smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

1,803 posts

Posted:
I couldnt hear the screams...could find the right program to play it....thats crap!!!! i wanted to hear them....it sounds so hoaxy!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I don't actually remember making any claims specific claims as to what evp recording actually captures if anything, most likely I tend to that a lot of the phenomena is related to RFI and molecular noise resulting from the semi conductor line up in the recording equip,

I am formally a scientist and a psychologist and training towards clinical pyshology, and generally look at evp with much scepticism, but I still maintain an interst in the subject

mark

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I think thats the best way about it. To me the idea that there are somehow voices or sprits floating about the place is preposterous.

Michael Shermer has a good article talking about it:

Written by:

Humans evolved brains that are pattern-recognition machines, adept at detecting signals that enhance or threaten survival amid a very noisy world.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: marco

I don't actually remember making any claims specific claims as to what evp recording actually captures if anything

nobody said you did, I just said I was inetrested in your recordings.

Written by:

To me the idea that there are somehow voices or sprits floating about the place is preposterous.

the statement that science can explain everything is just as absurd to me... smile
EDITED_BY: Valura (1114677149)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

1,803 posts

Posted:
i second that, Valura...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well in that case I guess we've reached the inevitable stalemate between the two mindsets.

What did you two think of the article I posted?

I am interested in hearing the recordings as well. Maybe we could try a basic experiment where by we all listen to a few, write down what we think we hear and post back again after a few days of listening? That way we could see how subjective the recordings were. I'd like to try it with someone who doesn't speak any English at all to see if they hear words in other languages.

Marco, would you be willing to send me some MP3's of your recordings and I'll host them for us all to download? I think it would be interesting.

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
What is the EVP thing? im not really familiar with it... ive done a ouija board a couple of times though, i guess similar sorta stuff in a way.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
If you read the first post here you'll get more of an idea and if you want to know more about it you can look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voice_phenomena

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

the statement that science can explain everything is just as absurd to me... smile

When you start thinking about something you're halfway to doing science. All you need now is to make some kind of testable prediction and you've got a scientific hypothesis wink

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

Im a clairvoyant and I deal with this type of thing on a day to day basis... sometimes they wont STOP talking...

ubblol

you have no idea how relieved i am to hear that im not the only one to have to deal w\ that crap on a day to day basis.....

however...logical proof that im not crazy....what they say...is right...ive found all sorts of neat things by just listening...

and this is to quiet......
heres science for you....
energy\matter cannot be created or destroyed, but it can change form....
the soul\aura whatever you want to call it is a bioelectric feild emitted by all living things....so by saying that EVP cannot exist because for sound to happen something has to physically effect the surroundings....you disprove your own idea.....
sound is a compression wave...aka a transfer of energy...this essentially gets down to energy interaction...theoretical physics and all that cal....

and a warning to everybody reading this thread...Ouiji boards are a way for most anybody to channel energy and call forth a spirit...for those of us who are already in tune the call is MUCH stronger...and many times some scary things can go down...dont mess around with what you dont understand

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I am a believer in EVP as well as many other things along the same lines as this, but don't ignor the science either.
On the science side of things, where i know science has disproved tapes of these kinda so many times, there have also been a few times where they couldn't explain what people heard on the tape or at least it wasn't agreed what it was that made the sound. there are many reasons why i believe what i do but i shall never be 100% sure until science can prove what every single part of our brain does. so for now i'll stick with my own ideas and theories.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: darkpoet

heres science for you....
energy\matter cannot be created or destroyed, but it can change form....
the soul\aura whatever you want to call it is a bioelectric feild emitted by all living things....so by saying that EVP cannot exist because for sound to happen something has to physically effect the surroundings....you disprove your own idea.....

You can call the soul the electric field generated by a living creature, but you're then saying that this persists after death? Which is a claim without scientific evidence. And I'd like to see something showing that the strength of this field is enough to cause an effect on a tape allowing this phenomenon. And then that the electric field can somehow impress a very certain set of sounds (voices) on the air so that it can be recorded with a microphone.

Written by: darkpoet

sound is a compression wave...aka a transfer of energy...this essentially gets down to energy interaction...theoretical physics and all that cal....

Sound is a compression wave - electricity isn't. How does a body's electrical field generate sound waves? Look at the amount of electrical power needed to produce an audiable sound around a power station or lines. The body's electrical field is orders of magnitude less, the amount of sound it could generate would be far less than any microphone could pick up.

And surely if dead people can cause this phenomenon then why can't it happen with live people? smile

I'm not saying that all of this sort of thing is nonsense, but you can't try and justify it with hand-waving arguments about energy and so on. If it exists, there'll be a scientific reason which will undoubtedly be based on something we don't understand today. Maybe even something we can't conceive of today.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
*dcuddles darkpoet giggling !!*

YAYAYAY someone else eho thinks ouija is damn dangerous!!

Sym I think your idea is fantastic.. I will even partake in your "experiment" smile

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
anything to do with the "paranormal" is dangerous. What people experiance can be extremley unsettling and emotional...

anyone who saw darren browns haunting thing will know about the effects it can have on people...

I am a skeptic of the whole idea, but the mind has a powerful creative tool, the imagination, that can seem real...

Please, please be careful when experimenting with this kind of thing... it can get ugly...
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1114731686)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

1,803 posts

Posted:
Ouija boards...i dont like them.
I was with a few friends once and one of them can sense things really well, he told us we shouldnt try it for long because he felt soemthing wrong.
About two minutes in, me and my friend both had one really cold arm and one really hot arm, and a girl near me was shaking.
We dont know what it was, so we just stopped and put it away.
I havent done ouija since then, dont feel like it, either..

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
this is what i mean...

we dont know what caused it, but what if the "sensitive" guy created the illusion for all of you?

The mind + paranormal suggestion = bad things frown

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
'Just becasue science says its not true doesnt mean it isnt.. thats a very close minded view.'

Hang on a second. The whole point of the scientific endeavour is to give a very clear-cut, testable, justifiable guide to what's going on. So, for instance, if someone claims that a two-pound weight falls faster than a one-pound weight, we'll get a scientific test set up, and prove that it doesn't.

[ok, bad example - galileo was doing a thought experiment at the time . . . ]

Better still: suppose someone claims that the dinosaurs were created yesterday. Then we go and dig up a dinosaur bone, and do some carbon dating. If the science says the dinosaur bone is some thousands of years old, then it probably is.

It is *not* 'closed-minded' to think that scientific proof shows that stuff happens (or, indeed, doesn't happen). It's just eminently sensible.

I'm very sympathetic to views which hold that science can't explain everything. But why should it? Science is just supposed to tell us about a certain kind of (empirically-testable) truth. It won't tell us why it's wrong to torture innocent babies, for instance; but then, it doesn't need to.

Valura, it *is* fair to say that because science tells us the earth isn't flat, then it's true that the earth isn't flat.

I'm not saying that EVP is impossible. I am saying that I'd need some kind of story about how dead creatures can generate sound waves, or patterns on magnetic tape. Spiralx's point holds: if you're claiming that the electrical 'aura' of living bodies can generate such patterns, then you need to explain how it is that this 'aura' continues even after the body dies. So you think the aura is independent of the body? If so, why does it get attached to the body in the first place?

And so on, and so forth. If you'd rather pm me about this, then that'd be cool. I don't disrespect your position, but I do think that there are good reasons to cleave to mine smile

incidentally, FRD has a point: people are pretty suggestible . . .

ture na sig

Page: