Forums > Social Chat > what to do about grrrful parental units

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
any advice on convincing nazi rents to let me use fire? they're being totally unreasonable, i want to rip their heads off and fill them with wheat germ. i can't figure out what their problem with it is. i think they're worried about me getting hurt, which is understandable, but i can't get them to listen to reason. i mean, anything other than first degree burns are rare, right? i'm willing to take that risk, and they'll be there to make sure i dont catch clothes/hair/other people on fire, so they're just being silly. they dont seem to think that i'm ready to use fire, but that's totally not their call. i know i'm ready, nobody else can tell me i'm not.

grrrrr frown

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Bad sunburn is first degree burns.

Ask them to watch you a few times in the yard, then once they are bored, hopefully they'll let you go off elsewhere to do it.

Make sure you have everything perfect, water in buckets for acidents, long sleave shirt, beanie to cover hair and jeans.

if all else fails, winge till they let you do

Do we sleep when we die?

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
although, it may seem like your parents are being unreasonable, you must remember that your parents are entrusted with your safety, and until you are no longer a minor/dependent, that most definately IS their call. you can talk to them, or discuss it with them, but don't go in with the opinion that spinning fire is safe. spinning fire is not "safe", as if that is an absolute, it is reasonably safe, compared to some other actions, provided the individual is skilled and being careful.
I have gotten a second degree burn now, simlply spinning moves i was sure of. I wrapped on my leg, and they tangled. i was spinning alone, so i had to get the extinguisher myself. many other spinners/fire performers (see pele's summer in hell) have similar, or much worse, stories. all in all, it is important to remember that your parents can and should be in charge of decisions like this. I had to prove to my parents over and over, with unlit wicks, that i was safe and it took over 18 months before they were ok with it. however, I later learned that I would not have been safe at the time I thought I was. I'm not saying this is the case with you, simply that, while you are a minor, it is your parent's job to make such calls, one way or the other, and it is their job to tell you when your not ready for something. Those are what is required of a parent, to make sure their kids know this stuff when they are adults.

I know I'm being harsh, but really, your post sounds a lot like an moment of teenage angst, rather than a logical argument... believe me, I was there, I know the feeling. However, anger never helps your argument. straight logic and respect for their position will get you a lot further than rage and claims of them overstepping their bounds. Think out your argument, before talking to them. get proof for all your points, be calm, and expect the worst... If you have a calm proposal for the most seemingly dismissive response... you have a much better chance of getting your points through. however, accept that they may have valid points, and you may lose the argument. If you do, accept that they are your parents, and its not too long until you are an adult.

According to your introduction you're 15 and you've only been spinning for about 5 months. If your parents' oppinions don't change, give your them time to see your ability, and give your ability time to develop, before bringing it up again.

sorry about the long lecture type post, but i've been there, and it really seems different at the time then it does looking back on it.

BTW, i'm 19 now, and i started spinning at 16, I've gotten nice chain shaped 1st degree's on my arms and legs, a large second degree burn on my leg, comical bald patches on my arms legs and facial hair from time to time, and quite a few singed and burned sweatshirts and jeans.(a factor to keep in mind if your parents purchase your clothing) Also, my spinning clothes make any other clothes that get washed with them smell faintly of kero.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok here is my 2p on the subject.

Your parents sound to me like they love and care for you deeply and hence do not want you to 'play' with fire for fear of you getting hurt. The way you have worded your post here makes me inclined to agree with them stopping you.

Written by: sparkey

they're being totally unreasonable, i want to rip their heads off and fill them with wheat germ. i can't figure out what their problem with it is. i think they're worried about me getting hurt, which is understandable, but i can't get them to listen to reason. i mean, anything other than first degree burns are rare, right? i'm willing to take that risk, and they'll be there to make sure i dont catch clothes/hair/other people on fire, so they're just being silly.

If you flippantly think its ok to get 1st degree burns it kind of leads me to believe you are utterly flippant about fire. You need to learn a respect for fire before you use it to spin. Even some of the most experienced spinners have accidents that lead to horrific burns. Things can go wrong.

I'm not going to lie to you and say that spinning fire isn't all its cracked up to be because I love the feeling it gives me and the rush, but its not the be all and end all of spinning. Its just a part of it, and a small part at that.

There is so much more to spinning than fire. If I were told tomorrow that I could never spin fire again, I would still be a poi spinner. Just one that didn't use fire.

Concentrate on something other than fire. Learn how to get new moves down and your planes neat. Practice hard all the moves you can do and learn new ways of linking them together. Work out a routine to do and put a show on for your parents. If you get them interested in what you do and they can see you are improving maybe they will reconsider you using fire, once they see you are mature enough to not be calling them Nazi just because they care enough about your well being to stop you injuring yourself.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I convinvced my parents as follows (and i'm the same age as you so it has alot of relevance):
Its a low temperature flame
You know what you;re doing
You're getting/have the right safety equipment
Many many many people do it everyday with no injuries
...i'll think of more

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
and i threw into the convo that dave the ex pyrotechnician was gona be there, so that helped too

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
only 15... well that makes things a little different.
15 year old males think they are invincible, trust me as that's how i became a statistic.
I think if you show your parents that your mature with the fire and able to spin without the fire, they'll be more likely to let you spin with fire.

Do we sleep when we die?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I started fire when i was 11... ubbrollsmile

but then again.. it was my parents who taught me...

the way u diseregard a first degree burn as being rare obviously means that u havnt been reading up on the saftey threads around here... get to know everything about burns before u jump into it... i know its boring... but burns F***ing hurt... or so ive been told, as ive never burnt myself.. ubbrollsmile *touch wood*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
hmm.

sparkey i know you would be responsible, i think you've been around long enough to have a good idea of the safety issues.

my parents haven't seen me spin yet.. after a few months of doing it, which is quite strange considering they are the more paranoid type.

nevertheless, practice.. be safety conscious..

not sure what to suggest with the parental convincing.. show them that you can do everything without fire, and talk about safety issues.

goodluck hug

10,530 posts

Posted:
U dont have to spin infront of ur parents... and what they dont know, wudnt hurt them

(BAD ME! spank )

But dont listen to me...

try and persuade them... show em how good u are, show em u know what ur doing... and beg... practive those bambi eyes ubbrollsmile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
Written by: DragonFury

water in buckets for acidents,

is it me bein silly or does water and chemical fires not go together safely......?

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

10,530 posts

Posted:
well spotted.

Water just spreads the flame ... use a fire blanket.
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1114278011)

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Don't get stressed about it, it'll be well worth the wait.
Everytime you learn a new move, go show your parents. 'Hey look at this i learnt a new move again!' ect. Show your parents that your interested not only in the fire, but also learning. Perhaps download some vids and show them of other people fire spinning.

342 posts

Posted:
also, it is important to note two other things:

a) using water to douse a fire close to your skin can cause severe steam burns... a fire blanket, and an extinguisher together are best... blanket for you, extinguisher for fuel bucket, ground, grass, leaves, ect.

b) kerosene is not a "low temperature" flame, it is just not held near an object that conducts heat well... exposed metal in wicks will burn you as well as a lamp or even camp stove will. in fact there are several forms of camp stove that use kerosene... some people use it to heat their homes. as for other fuels, most burn hotter than kero. the thing most people cite when talking about "cold flame" is the fact that you can pour alcohol over your arm and light it, and if you have no arm hair and are really lucky, not burn yourself. this phenomenon is not based in the fire being cold, but in the fact that the alcohol is evaporated by your body heat, cooling your skin, before burning slightly above the skin... there is even a thin layer of air between your skin and the flame that feeds the fire from below, drawing cool air near your skin. YOU CAN EASILY BURN YOURSELF WITH ALCOHOL. THIS TECNIQUE IS NOT SAFE.

and finally,

THERE IS NO COLD FUEL. IF IT BURNS, IT CAN BURN YOU.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Why not just go out and spin fire without telling them. But have responsible and trusted friends with you. If you do set yourself on fire which is really unlikely your friends can put you out. By the way is it poi or the staff you are spinning? If its the staff just tell your parents if anything goes wrong you can throw it down and step away. If you're swinging poi just dont tell them anything.
Im 15 but my parents just let me at it they knew i wouldn't argue with them if they didnt let me spin fire in the back garden. They knew i would just do it somewhere else then. weavesmiley

In responce to the post by DragonFury , 15 year old males dont think they are invincible we ARE invincible and soon the world will tremble before us!!!

342 posts

Posted:
Spiderbaby, that's a very flippant view on fire spinning... I've been at quite a few large meets, and someone's pants, shirt, hair, ect. almost always catches fire... and later you have to explain scorch marks, kero smell, and or lack of hair to your parents... the relative safety of spinning comes from skill, not the inherent safety of the art... It is easy to burn yourself, its just that most fire spinners have enough control to avoid it. It takes time to be controlled.

i'd ALMOST go so far as to say, if you can't keep a set of streetlights for more than one spin (given, doing tricks you're comfortable with, like how you should spin fire), you shouldn't be spinning fire.
EDITED_BY: Singed Piper (formerly Mark1) (1114296920)

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Im not saying its impossible to burn yourself with a staff but it can be stopped and put down pretty quickly. Ever tried to instantly stop swinging poi? The only way to do it is to jam a body part in the way and thats what we are trying to avoid. If its sparky's first time spinning with fire im guessing he wont do anything too crazy , probably just easy tricks he can do naturally. But i dont know the guy so i dont know what he will do for his first time with fire. As for the kero smell, if his parents found out he was spinning they would have to accept he wants to spin fire and they cant stop him so they might aswell just let him do it. If i was a parent i would rather have my kid doing something dangerous where i could watch him rather than have him spin fire with his friends unsupervised.

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Kodiac, age 17: Well, I do believe, after reading this, that my first time spinning fire was much too soon, although I felt ready at the time, had read all relavent safety reports, had safety gear ready and someone who knew how to operate it all, etcetera. My first spin was 3 days after starting, and I only did tricks that I was very comfortable with, yet it was still an irresponsible thing to do. Now then, this isn't about me. Sparkey, I would suggest that you don't go off and spin without your parents knowledge, it's a VERY bad idea that will most likely just make them incredibly angry and give them a reason to forbid you from spinning fire at all. Respect your parents and their decision, but show them as best you can that you are ready by showing them that you have learned safety and responsibility around your art.

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Both in Darwin and Adelaide, the buckets of water are used for if you drop your staff/poi on the ground. I've seen large fires started with a smoke or a single match, think of what a kero soaked piece of kevlar would do. I didn't suggest it for putting fires on your person out.

As for causing steam burns, from my understanding thats only if the burning thing is metal and still close to the skin.

When i was burnt the doctors said that because i had put huge amounts of water on my burns straight away it had reduced the possible damage. Then at the hospital they soaked my burns for another four hours in water.

Edit: just to add, my burns where chemical burns, cordite, which was burning on my skin.
EDITED_BY: DragonFury (1114301004)

Do we sleep when we die?

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I dont know how you would convince them other than showing them all of your safety procedures first then use your wicks and show them you can spin without hitting yourself.and maybe show them a few videos from here.

and when i get frustrated with my parents I sit down take a deep breath hold it , exale ,then I take another deep breath hod it,and exhale,and then i usually go eat..............

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

As for causing steam burns, from my understanding thats only if the burning thing is metal and still close to the skin.

When flame encounters water it creates steam, which can then cause worse burns than the actual flame.

Here's a quote from a past post which details pretty much a worst case scenario for steam burns- it also shows how what can initially seem like a really good idea, can have horrific consequences.

Written by:

About 3 years ago a boy who shall remain un-named thought he would be extra safe by wearing wet clothes with dry clothes over them to do some fire play. It went BADLY wrong and he cooked himself like a lobster. His dry clothes caught fire, heated the water on the damp clothes and caused him to have 3rd degree steam burns over a good share of his body. His friends did the stop-drop-and roll, but since the water of the clothes was already heated the burning process continued. He was admitted to the ER and remained in the burn unit for a fairly long time. He had taken what he thought was good safety precautions, even had friends who knew what to do, and was injured far worse than if he had have stayed in dry clothes.

---------------

When i was burnt the doctors said that because i had put huge amounts of water on my burns straight away it had reduced the possible damage. Then at the hospital they soaked my burns for another four hours in water.

It's true that immediate application of water can help immensly with minor burns. I believe that, as the degree of burn worsens, there's a cut-off point where it becomes medically inadvisabe to put water on.

There's a FAQ or article that explains this somewhere on the board; perhaps someone can post a link?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
well what that guy did was kind of stupid. and my post was not totally straight forward i guess. To me, if your burnt, apply water, remove clothing from burnt area straight away and add more water. That''s what i've always done and its worked for me.

My burns were second degree burns.

Do we sleep when we die?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's the link to Lightnings article-

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/First_Aid_for_Burns.php

according to that, water is really good for 1st and 2nd degree burns, unless it's a second degree burn with broken skin.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
thanks, everybody, for your input, particularly singed piper and skulduggery. stepping back, i realize i was really just angry, because i'd been having a bad day besides. i know that they're just trying to look out for me, but i really didn't see that last night. its really hard to accept that other people are right when you're right too. i'm sure i'm ready to spin fire, but my parents aren't ready for me to spin fire, so i have to respect that. i know the safety procedures, but you can always know them better. i do have a healthy respect for fire, my disregard for danger was decidedly atypical in that post. i'm still really bummed they wont let me use fire, but i can deal. they'll let me do it eventually, and *usually* i'm a quite patient fellow

plus, it helps that they got me some gorgeous silk for flags in consolation wink

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

342 posts

Posted:
congrats on the flags, they're a really awesome prop to spin. and kudos to you for having a good attitude about a real letdown. I hope your parents find you ready for fire soon.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

thanks, everybody, for your input, particularly singed piper and skulduggery. stepping back, i realize i was really just angry, because i'd been having a bad day besides. i know that they're just trying to look out for me, but i really didn't see that last night. its really hard to accept that other people are right when you're right too. i'm sure i'm ready to spin fire, but my parents aren't ready for me to spin fire, so i have to respect that. i know the safety procedures, but you can always know them better. i do have a healthy respect for fire, my disregard for danger was decidedly atypical in that post. i'm still really bummed they wont let me use fire, but i can deal. they'll let me do it eventually, and *usually* i'm a quite patient fellow

plus, it helps that they got me some gorgeous silk for flags in consolation wink

Ah.... now that sounds more like a person that can be trusted with fire. I'm glad to see that you haven't taken the advice of some on here that tell you to do it behind your parents back. Thats would just prove you were untrust worthy. You didn't do that and that shows maturity.

Keep practicing. Keep loving spinning. Have FUN! That is after all what this is all about.

I hope the flags turn out ok. If you have problem finding curtain weighting I have loads and will happily send you some if you need it biggrin hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
being a parent i thought i should reply but alot of it has alread been said. they are just looking out for you and at the end of the day there are not many parents who wants crispy fried kids smile
when i'm teaching kids beofre they are alowed to use fire there are a few things they have to do.....
1.get parental permision
2. the child and parent read the fire saftey info from this site and their parents have to
3. be able to poi without hitting themselves
4. no sports wear to be worn.... it melts far too easilyand where i don't have a problem with that others might.
(I also have a hat that fits even the longest of poney tails in it)
buckets of water are at hand as is a fire blanket.

if you want to really convince them its going to be safe get a boiler suit to wear when you spin, my son is only alowed to spin fire if he's wearing his. although he's 11

hope it all works out for you though

hug hug and one day you will do fire

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i'd never do my first firespin behind my parents' back! i really want my first experience with fire to be memorable and special, not shrouded in deceit. besides, i'm pretty sure they'd be able to figure out the diffence between new and used wicks, so i'd just get in trouble when they find out sooner or later, and then they'd never trust me with fire! and there's no chance i'd go without pictures, i want something to show off later \m/(>_<)\m/

-James

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
agreed that really wouldn't be a good idea, and us parents aren't silly, hehehe hug

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
Parents not silly! Parents cool, only worry too much and forgotten their own kidhood!

Keep spinning and they will understand eventually. I teaching my 50 year old dad to spin now. Took a few weeks of incessant ranting about the joy of poi but he soon had to find out what the fuss was about.

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
off topic i know but.... i remember my childhood and what i was doing at 'that age' which scares the carp out of me. i think this is the reason parents panic at what their children are up to.

Page: