• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > obsessive compulsive craziness!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
.:star:.
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:I work with a girl who has obsessive compulsive disorder and she 'has' to have a bath or shower at least twice a day which is relatively normal for an OCD sufferer but there one really really wierd thing...she won't go into any shops that begin with the letter 'A'!!

This go me and my friends thinking, everyone has their own strange little quirks and some of them are quite wierd

I can't sleep unless my duvet is the right way round and the right way up....i tried to do it but i just can't! I lasted about 10 seconds before i had to turn it round.

my friend refuses to sit at a certain table in the pub because the pattern in the tiles next to it are messed up and he can't stand it, that and he won't eat food if it has touched another type of food on his plate!

so i'm sure everyone out there has a wierd thing that they do..like turning the light switches on and off three times when you enter a room or walking around a chair twice before you sit down?? Share it with us!!

Delete Topic

Adya Miriyana
GOLD Member since Feb 2005

Adya Miriyana

*slou?

Total posts: 6554
Posted:aww how mean!..

you mean the press-stud things on the quilt cover?

Delete

Vixen
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

Vixen

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3276
Posted:I think the only one i have is if i see a plug socket on with no plug then i have to turn it off. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Delete

stroo
SILVER Member since Feb 2003

stroo

trusty sidekick to superman

Total posts: 799
Posted:yeah....ooh the mental scars...hehe

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Delete

Catalyst
SILVER Member since Nov 2003

Catalyst

Total posts: 103
Posted:hahaha...I love this thread....here goes...mine is kind of a locking door thing, but it goes much further.....first, I have lots of animals....two birds...a cat and two dogs...the dogs and cat stay in the kitchen when I'm not home...when I go somewhere...I have to double, and triple check that everyone is in their spot.....then go start the car...then go back in to make sure that everyone is ok.....the hair dryer is un-plugged...the back door is locked...and in the winter time, I have to carry my space heater with me, because I will worry about it burning the house down when I'm away.....am I CRAZY??? ubbloco

Delete

Dixie
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

Dixie

old hand

Total posts: 740
Posted:1- Before eating a crisp, I have to look at it. Both sides. When I first realised I did this I forced myself not to and the crisps tasted horrid!
2- I cannot step over the threshold into somebodys home unless directly invited. Just saying "hello" and making a hand gesture does not cut it. Has to be "come in". No exceptions. Even my mothers house.
3- Whenever I see/hear the number 28 unexpectedly, I always say "twenty-eight".
4- If I see a ball of string I really, really want to smell it.

There are others. ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

Delete

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:Written by: Dixie28

1- Before eating a crisp, I have to look at it. Both sides. When I first realised I did this I forced myself not to and the crisps tasted horrid!

i'm even wierder with crisps. i look at them and decide which way up they need to be before i eat them....i'll try and explain....to be the right way up, if the crisp is curved (even slightly) the concave side has go on my tounge...its easy with crisps like skips but pringles are a nightmare because they have concave and convex curves on both sides...they have to be broken in half. With monster munch i have to eat them toe at a time, then the rest. I cannot simply eat crisps without doing it..i've tried and i just can't!! everyone i know thinks its the wierdest thing ever..'how can a crisp be the right way up!!??'

i'm really exposing my wierd side now! ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Delete

Wonderlush
BRONZE Member since Jul 2004

Haven't you heard? I come in six-packs now.

Total posts: 134
Posted:When I eat a chocolate bunny, I have to bite the head off before I can eat it.

If you can talk you can sing / If you can walk you can dance

Delete

NOn

activist for HoPper liberation.

Total posts: 1643
Posted:makes sense to me, crisps have sharp bits, get them at the wrong angle and it hurts! although i eat them too quickly to think about it really... always worthwhile folding your crisp packets into triangle though when they're empty, reduces waste volume (obviously)

in other news, it was only a few years ago that i managed to stop holding my breath going past graveyards. originally to prevent the inhalation of ghosts, and then i think maybe just because that's what had to be done.... there are of course drawbacks to this, like suffocation and inability to talk whilst not breathing, so it was permissable to have something crossed to expel the ghosts if they did fly in... although this occasionally led to muscle cramps in the fingers...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Delete

JauntyJames
SILVER Member since Dec 2004

JauntyJames

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3533
Posted:you're not supposed to hold your breath to avoid ghost inhalation, it's just because it's rude to breath infront of people who can't!

i always leave the head for last, biting off all extremeties first. what? what are you talking about? no, i'm not a sadist, you silly person, where ever did you get that idea?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Delete

Dixie
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

Dixie

old hand

Total posts: 740
Posted:5- If a clock has a pendulum or an audible tick, I must stop it.
6- Before I feel comfortable speaking to somebody, I must have shared an embarassing secret with them. This freaks folks out when I first meet them.
7- Whenever a 5 to 15 digit number is encountered I feel the urge to mentally identify all the numbers it is wholly divisible by. This one only really applies when in a quiet, lonely place.
8- I eat onions like apples.

There is more....... ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

Delete

munkypunks
GOLD Member since Jan 2005

munkypunks

enthusiast, but not enthusiastic

Total posts: 367
Posted:Written by: Dixie28

2- I cannot step over the threshold into somebodys home unless directly invited. Just saying "hello" and making a hand gesture does not cut it. Has to be "come in". No exceptions. Even my mothers house.

4- If I see a ball of string I really, really want to smell it.

There are others. ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Are you a vampire?

And what does string smell like???

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Delete

assburger182

Total posts: 12
Posted:I only step on even numbered grids on the pavement, if there's three or one, i walk around or try and jump them.

You tell me that silence is nearer to peace than poems? But, for my gift I brought you silence, for I know silence, you would say "this is another poem." And you would hand it back to me.

Delete

Kodiac
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Kodiac

Total posts: 42
Posted:Gotta wash my hands...all the time. And I hate being dirty, like really really hate it. Does get in my way sometimes, for example: It was one of the main reasons I transfered from Ceramics, and I need to cover my wicks when I spin with my fire poi in order to stop kero residue from getting on my clothes and body. Oh, and if I'm holding something the right size/shape, I start tossing it and flipping it, out of habit I guess. No real reason...

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

Delete

roarfire
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

roarfire

comfortably numb

Total posts: 2676
Posted:Did anyone go that whole :59 changing to the hour thing? I used to do it all the time last year, even if me and my friends were talking and there was a digital clock present we'd all just pause until it changed to 'o clock' and then carried on.

Thankfully I taught myself not to bother with it.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Delete

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)

resident bagpiper

Total posts: 342
Posted:i've got a few oddities...

A) I always flush "public" (used by lots of people) toilets with my foot, and I always wipe the seat with paper before sitting down.

2: I count things absentmindedly, if i'm not busy... there are 236 tiles in this room's ceiling.

III. I carry practice poi, a butane lighter, a multi-tool, my wallet, a microlight, and a bottle-opener with me everywhere... I like to be prepared. if I'm wearing a backpack, it contains a sewing kit, and a road flare

Four- I automatically find patterns in tiles and other, pseudorandom designs... it's extremely disturbing to me that by coloring the floortiles in the bathroom of the Jewish Fraternity at CMU you could form a gigantic swastica.

v| I almost always wear an open buttondown shirt over a tshirt... by default, thats how I dress... i also perfer rolled up long sleeved cotton plaid button up shirts, cotton, single color tshirts, and jeans... it easily converts to spinning gear... i now feel kinda naked in other clothes.

f> I absentmindedly number lists like this one... i.e. with each item labeled in a different style... people find it very funny when i am not thinking, and do it orally.

I also look at HOP when I should be sleeping...

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Delete

Skulduggery
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

Skulduggery

Pirate Pixie Crew Captain

Total posts: 8428
Posted:YAY! Another foot flusher..... I thought I was the only one..... although I do feel from the way you worded it that you do it because you are scared of bacteria..... I just do it out of habit.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Delete

pineapple pete
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

pineapple pete

water based

Total posts: 5125
Posted:at easter i always smash the easter eggs on my head. never the bunnies, only the eggs. i got a 1kg one this year, it was 1cm thick chocolate and it gave me a bruise ubbloco

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

resident bagpiper

Total posts: 342
Posted:it is mainly, cuz I know the last person to use their hand didn't wash between going to the bathroom and flushing... but i somtimes just don't think, and do it at home out of habit.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Delete

ado-p
GOLD Member since May 2004

ado-p

Pirate Ninja

Total posts: 3882
Posted:when im eating i candy snake (the jelly kind smile )i have to eat the head first. eating the tail first just doesnt feel right.

when im putting my socks on i worry that if i take the time to match them up or put them on the right way around, it means im getting too compulsive. so i deliberatly mismatch.

i make toast pyramids smile

Love is the law.

Delete

Adya Miriyana
GOLD Member since Feb 2005

Adya Miriyana

*slou?

Total posts: 6554
Posted:i smell everything.. it's a usual habit for me so i kinda forgot about it. especially food... but everything really.

Delete

shen shui

shen shui

no excuses. no apologies.

Total posts: 1799
Posted:i separate my laundry into piles of socks, boxers, shirts (short-sleeve then long-sleeve, no-buttons then buttons), pants (shorter pants before longer pants)(jeans last) and i use different coloured pegs for each group (ie each group has an assigned colour for that hanging-out-day), and they are always put up in the same order. if i miss a piece i have to rearrange the pieces so that they are in order, and i like to make sure the piece is asthetically pleasing, so i look at it again when i've walked away a little, checking to make sure its nice.

i have to make sure the dishes are in the right places before i begin to wash them, and they need to be put in the right places on the drying-surface, and washed in a certain order, too. have to wear gloves and have to rinse the dishes after washing them.

smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Delete

Boo_Bunny
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Boo_Bunny

Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy

Total posts: 933
Posted:I physically cant sleep if the door is open,even ajar, or if there is light coming through the sides of the curtains, and if i have change in my hand i HAVE TO organize them by size, on there side, biggest at the palm. Also, i can go for weeks not cleaning my room, but when i get the urge to i have to do it NOW, before i do anything else. i even line up my pens on my desk and wash the walls.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

Delete

ShawnF

Total posts: 162
Posted:Good thread.. I do think people with bits of OCD tend to be attracted to skills like poi, juggling, yo-yos. I think we tend to be a bit more sensitive to patterns and also find repetition to be calming...

I have various things, but it usually isn't too strong so that I can break out of it eventually if it gets too annoying.

I used to not step on cracks in the sidewalk for some years. I don't think people ever noticed because I got good enough at it that I'd subtly change my stride. Also, if I did step on a crack, I'd try to immediately step on another crack with my opposite foot.

I used to also crack my knuckles in an exact order, though I got out of that also.

For juggling, if a ball rolls under a table out the other side, I'll have a tendancy to try to roll it back under the table the same way it came in, instead of just picking it up. Then again if I was doing really badly, I just pick it up order to feel like I'm now in a different mindset.

Related to that I guess, what someone said about turning around in the other direction, but for me that mostly happens in the shower. In order to rinse off completely, turn the other way instead of all the way around.

A lot of it is wrapped up in my house, which I've been in for my whole life. If cabinate doors are ajar, I'll close them. The little carpets we have in spots like in front of the fridge I'll straighten with my foot as I walk by.

A weird thing might be that I tend to touch both sides of a doorway as I walk through it with the backs of my hands.

My Mom and I have a specific sequence of good night stuff that we say and when I'm in bed and about to go to sleep, I have a specific sequence of things I do before shutting off the light.

Well, that's about it I think... smile
Shawn

Delete

shen shui

shen shui

no excuses. no apologies.

Total posts: 1799
Posted:yeah i love patterns.... and symmetry.
balance, man, oh yeah... show me that yin-yang theory...!
sweet.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Delete

Hairy Tait
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

Hairy Tait

Total posts: 109
Posted:One of my mates has a real problem with Door Handles.... He will always try not to use or even touch them and if he absolutely has to then, then it's off the bathroom to wash his hands......!!!

The strange thing is...I can totally see why he does it and it makes me think that door handles are a bit grotty too!

It's a very interesting story, Future Boy....!

Delete

meghann

enthusiast

Total posts: 302
Posted:i can l,ive in a complete mess, but if a room is completly tidy, except one thing is out like... um a pic on the wall is wonkey, i have to fix it. never did the food thing... oh and i have to sleep with my pillows in a upside down v shape, arms over the two sides of the v with my chin on the bit where the two pillows over lap, laying on my front

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

Delete

meghann

enthusiast

Total posts: 302
Posted:I used to not step on cracks in the sidewalk for some years. I don't think people ever noticed because I got good enough at it that I'd subtly change my stride. Also, if I did step on a crack, I'd try to immediately step on another crack with my opposite foot.

ShawnF

me too... thats y peeps dont notice me doin it!!

i count my steps somtimes but if the ground type changes, i have to walk over the new ground an evn no. of times... eg if im walking along the pavement then cross the road, i will take an even no, of steps on the road... or if it is an odd no,. i end up taking, then next time i also have to take an odd no to make up for it!!! but i can stop if i want to...

i also look for patters inm stuff or more often than not, faces

ah how silly do i feel!! its not really ocd, i just get bored walkingh so i make up games, but somtimes i get stuck in the game!

EDITED_BY: meghann (1114986633)

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

Delete

Dink
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Dink

Total posts: 70
Posted:i thought i was 'normal' till i read this biggrin

public loos...have to flush with my foot [yes im another one smile ] after washing my hands i dont like to touch anything... elbow to start hand drier, sleeve used to open doors.

i find it uncomfortable to have other peoples kids in my 'zone' i have to walk away.

i smell most stuff, and touch everything else... but not without asking first if it belongs to someone else.

i eat certain food a certain way but not all the time, so i guess that doesnt count.

oh and i wont walk on grates or any type of drain covers.

do i want to think if theres more? shrug

im a gemini..go figure

Delete

Dragon7
GOLD Member since Oct 2003

Dragon7

addict

Total posts: 625
Posted:I dont really HAVE to... but for some reason i usually goto bed at magic time:

10:01 or 10:10 or

11:11 or :

11:23

12:12

My fav is

12:34 obviously

Otherwise its

1:11 or 1:23

2:22 and 3:33 are my least fav :crazy:

I never wear a watch but i can usually judge time by my body clock to about 5min. Dont try sleeping at these hours, you'll get hooked wink then you'll miss the deadline by one minute and have to wait another hour wink ubblol

EDITED_BY: Dr4g0n7 (1115003501)

Delete

animatEd
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

animatEd

1 + 1 = 3

Total posts: 3540
Posted:I loves this thread :bump: biggrin

I would list all mine, but it would take me an age to write ubblol

I suffer from OCD, and also ADHD. this is where it gets fun.

Often, the ADHD will cancel out the obsessive thoughts I get after only a few minutes. but they'll be back sporadically throughout the day...

as for little things I do, it would be shorter to list what I don't do ubblol but here's a few:

1) Everything has to be in *perfect* neat lines, or right angles, sorted in size order. There is a most efficient way of arranging furniture in a room to maximise space. I have to find it.

2) I can't step on the cracks in the pavement. To stop I have to make a huge concious effort, or the only way I've found of breaking it easily, is to balance a ball on my head whilst walking around. need to control something, you see...

3) THREES!!! and multiples thereof. ubblove

4) I can't share food or drink. there is one exception to this rule, though, and that is that I can share with people that I have kissed. It's all already shared then, innit. I can't eat from the same container/dish as someone else, especially when hands are involved, unless I'm convinced that they are clean. Convincing me can often be harder than the cleaning itself... if I'm eating crisps/popcorn or similar finger food, I will only share them when I'm near the end of the packet, and feel bad before I do this for not sharing sooner...

5) I take the sanitizer everywhere too. it's a safety blanket.

6) If something is wrong, i have to fix it.

7) I count things. everything. from footsteps to objects to sounds... A lot of the time, I don't realise I do this though. I'll see a number before I see what the object actually is.

8) I don't touch things that other people touch. Door handles, light switches, railings that sort of thing. The doctor had to escort me out of the clinic the other day, because I couldn't touch the door handles.

9) I don't lick envelopes.

10) Everything needs to be *clean*. Like super clean. If I touch something dirty, I wash straightaway. If I'm eating, and someone sneezes in the same room, I need a new plate of food.

11) Everything has a system, a routine, a certain way of doing something.

12) This one is mainly here to keep up with the three thing... but rather important to me: If someone knocks the ball off my head, or threatens to, and I haven't allowed them to do it, I have a panic attack.

I'll stop there for now. I might list some of the CRAZY little things another time...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Page: 123