Forums > Social Chat > obsessive compulsive craziness!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I work with a girl who has obsessive compulsive disorder and she 'has' to have a bath or shower at least twice a day which is relatively normal for an OCD sufferer but there one really really wierd thing...she won't go into any shops that begin with the letter 'A'!!

This go me and my friends thinking, everyone has their own strange little quirks and some of them are quite wierd

I can't sleep unless my duvet is the right way round and the right way up....i tried to do it but i just can't! I lasted about 10 seconds before i had to turn it round.

my friend refuses to sit at a certain table in the pub because the pattern in the tiles next to it are messed up and he can't stand it, that and he won't eat food if it has touched another type of food on his plate!

so i'm sure everyone out there has a wierd thing that they do..like turning the light switches on and off three times when you enter a room or walking around a chair twice before you sit down?? Share it with us!!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i do the food thing too. when i get given a plate dinner i separate all the food in sections on the plate not touching.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
you need one of those plates which has little dividers on smile

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I did the food thing when I was a kid. I wouldn't even eat cereal with milk in it. But I grew out of it around high school. I didn't realize how common that apparently is.

I know a guy who doesn't like to touch things in public - like the button to press to cross the street - he'll pull his sleeve over his hand or do it with his elbow. Once I was wearing high heels and touched a lamppost to steady myself going around a corner, and he was all, I can't believe you touched that! Oh, like I'd rather teeter around in 4" heels!

My weirdnesses that way are that I always tie a knot in the straw paper (drinking straws) and pull it like a wishbone. Ages ago, my sister told me that if the knot comes out, someone's thinking about you, and it's become a habit. And if possible I always have to have a drink of water after using a public restroom. I tell myself it's about hydration, but I don't do it at home, so I don't know.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

you need one of those plates which has little dividers on smile

much like prison ones... or state schools untouched by jamie oliver ubbrollsmile

my houses (boarding and home) are full of turned on switches and no plugs... does it cost anything?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
When i was little, i used to do the food thing too.
I remember screaming at my mum once because my baked beans touched a piece of flan once smile
I grew out of it smile

I cant think of anything I do... *thinks*

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I flush toilets with my foot..... unless the mean person has a flush you can't do with your foot..... MAGS! ubblol Its not really a compulsion its just something I think I've always done. I don't freak out if I have to use my hand.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pink...?

When i was little, i used to do the food thing too.
I remember screaming at my mum once because my baked beans touched a piece of flan once smile

I did that too, cept it was with spagehtti hoops and pizza.
One of those plates would be cool, I want one for my birthday biggrin

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
i think mine is if im the only one in my house i have to check everything is locked in the house three or four times before i go to bed and all the doors in the whole house have to be closed. i know ive locked everything if i go round the house once but its that "ill just make sure" kind of thing
also ... never tried flushing toilets with my feet, interesting weirdness biggrin

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
my boyfriend is a bit wierd about checking locks. He'll watch me lock the door, walk down the garden path and then has to go back and check the door even though he knows its locked.

Kansasnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
I am an OCD sufferer and I have alot of different things that I do and I meen alot of things. But to save the figers I will name the weirdest....
1) I have to eat things like pieces of candy in 3. if its not in threes I can't eat 'em.
2) If people happen to touch me with their feet or shoes I have to shower right then and there.
3) I have never danced with a strange boy for fear of getting a cold he has.
4) I carry a bottle of anti-bacterial hand sanatinizer(sp?)everywhere I go, even to parties.
5) When I put on lip gloss it goes from right to left bottom and left to right top.
6) I walk through the house and make sure all the doors are locked 4 times a night at the sametime every night.
7) I don't eat out of public dip bowls or chips and such because of people dubble dipping or having dirty hands.
8) When I shower I clean my hair, then top to bottom, then work my way back up then one more time down.
9) I clean the bathroom every 2nd tues day and every 4th thursday I deep clean my bedroom.
10) When making a list I have to be organized and and most always have to number it..depending on the list as if you can't tell. ubbrollsmile

The Sky's the limit...
I trying to go futher...
KaNsAs

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I believe there is a similar thread to this one lying around somewhere [Old link] tongue

Sorry, I've always wanted to do that.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
if there are piles of change, i have to stack them in their denomination, all heads up or heads down, depending on my mood, and if i have time i will put them in order of years.

i'm obsessed with patterns and numbers, i orgainise things in patterns.

ummm... *thinks* i'll get back to you

Do we sleep when we die?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
a mate of mine, if u spin him round in a circle, he has to spin back round in the other direction to straighten himself out. its so much fun to mess with him ubbloco

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
what if you put him on a tire swing!? that'd be amusing to watch. i want to give your friend a hug

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I'm very strange
My mum had OCD, and i think i may have traces of it or something.

1. When i walk around the house i count my steps...absent mindedly...habit i guess

2. Like Pete's friend, spin me around too much and i dont feel right, i'll just spin the other way now...

3.My fingernails have to be immaculately clean.

4. I always feel really paranoid about smelling wierd...even though people say i dont smell...always carry body spray or perfume around with me....mm...impulse

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I don't really have many strange quirks but there is one that I think might be becoming a problem.

Lip Balm. (not girly sparkley gloss)

Everynight I put it on before I go to bed and if I don't put it on I can't sleep. During the day I can't go very long without lip balm or my lips "hurt". It's like this stupid dependance on it and I don't know why. If I don't have it it's like my mind sends a message to my lips to make them ache and go dry and chapped, making me think I need to put some on... even though physically they don't feel or look affected. I know it's becoming a bad habit because I can't work to the best of my ability and do abotu my daily stuff without it.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
sakura, u forgot, u instantly run ur face to check u dont have food or anything on ur face, the second anyone points to their face biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
when i was little, i had this thing about germs and poisons, etc. i would allways put my sleeve over my hand to open doors, wash my hands really regually, and was paranoid about poionous stuff. And yes, open doors (including fridges) with my foot and also flush the toilet with my foot.
I then moved to the country, which made it really hard to be paranoid about germs, etc, so i grew out of it!
I never did the food-sorting-thing (im usually too hungry!) biggrin
but i do tend to count things sorta sub-consiously, eg if im hitting the shampoo bottle, i will allways hit it 8 times. or 12, 16, etc. (8 is my favorite number) Sometimes walking around, counting, too.
I allways have to check the door lock twice, and turn the lights of in a particular order, etc.

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
i allways used to think about what a freak i was, then i began to realise how many people do this sort of thing!

1,803 posts

Posted:
yeah
and i also clean my face if anyone starts playing cruel mind games with me...acting like i ahve something on my face....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I also can't sleep with my hair tied back...or if I do (which is rare) I always pull out bits from above my ears so they are covered....all because of some stupid 5 minute childrens cartoon I saw when an earwig crawled into this mans ear he had to get it yanked out with a female earwig on fishing line or something. I think I would have been about 7 hen I saw that....I can never sleep if I don't have hair covering as a 'safety net' so bugs don't crawl into my ears! Yuk...

I can't remember what the show was called but it was always started of with 'this is a true story...it happened to a friend of a friend of mine...'

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
and its soooo much fun biggrin esp staring at ur ear while u talk to me, but thats off topic

1,803 posts

Posted:
yeah its called "freaky stories"

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
i HAVE to brush my teeth before going to bed.

i cant leave the house without my phones, keys, wallet and camera.

and i loved freaky stories, it was heaps funny

Do we sleep when we die?

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I feel semi-naked if I'm walking somewhere outside without my back-pack... Does that count? *ponders*

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
hmm.. yeah i like the backpack thing too.. i dunno, strange.

i used to do the counting steps thing all the time when i was little, so much that it annoyed the hell out of me and i finally grew out of it.

*ponders* hmm can't really think of anything right now..

oh, and i seem to have poi all the time wherever i go.. though i suspect this is quite common around here.. biggrin

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
hehe, yeah i have to take my poi everywhere with me. even took them to a university interview! used to be obssessed with washing my hands when i was little. literally couldnt walk past a tap without at least egtting my hands wet.

only other thing is i cat have my duvet with the poppers by my face...only because my mum told me when i was little maggots would come out and eat me in the middle of the night if i did, hehe. thinking about it thats a really mean thing to tell a kid!

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
thats seriously evil!

Was she deliberatley trying to traumatise you? eek

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
aww how mean!..

you mean the press-stud things on the quilt cover?

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I think the only one i have is if i see a plug socket on with no plug then i have to turn it off. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Page: