Forums > Technical Discussion > Neon Husky Glowball poi- review

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Earlier this month, I ordered three of Neon Husky's poi glowballs, one each of white, blue, and purple. They arrived this past wednesday, a little over a week after being shipped out.

First impressions- when I opened the boxand looked inside, I thought there had been a mistake, because I saw three white balls looking back at me. I thought that the balls themselves were different colours. Once I got to where I could sit down, I pulled out the instruction sheet that was included, and switched the balls on for the first time. No mistakes- they did in fact glow white, blue and purple. But the outer shells are all identical. This might make searching for the right coloured ball a bit of a hassle in some cases.

These are easy to switch on, and it's also easy to get at the batteries when you need to change them. I attached the balls to my chains, and was very happy with the feel. They've got some weight to them, but they're not too terribly heavy. Heavier than glowbugs, but probably lighter than beamers or fire wicks.
These balls are relatively soft, so if you hit yourself, you're not going to end up a bruise-covered mess.

I've tried spinning them in the dark, and they look lovely- not blindingly bright, but not dull either. Overall a very nice effect, I can't wait to use them in performance. Each poi has two attaching rings, one on each end. This enables really cool things like stringing several glowballs together, or attaching fabric tails to the ends..or perhaps streetlights, even:)

So far I am very impressed with these props- they seem to be worth the money and the wait. It will be interesting to see how they hold up to long time use, and the audience reaction I get from them.

In short, I reccomend these toys- like I said, well worth it!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Yay, another glow toy review! I love glow toys, but I never know which ones to go for! Does anyone know what feral technology poi were like? They're not available at the moment... frown

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I have the neon husky glowballs in white, and like them a lot. I also have their mardi gras streetlights and like them pretty well also, but because they're longer and not round, at first it was like learning all over again, but I put them on a shorter cord and it's a lot better. I was a little disappointed with the look at first, thought it wasn't going to be bright enough, but I've spun them for friends (who know nothing about poi), and they liked it a lot. And I like the different light settings - flashing, steady, or progressive.

My two cent review, for what it's worth.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
nice review - I just bought some new globalls too - not sure who they're made by but they are sold in Oddballs, Camden. Not passe passe but just like them. Dropped them countless times in shop and they were fine. Got them home and had a wee play with them. Fine also. Very nice and light, huge improvement on by aerotechs (which i'm still trying to sell!) which were far too heavy, ubblove to look at but very difficult to juggle numbers with frown

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Got any pictures?

Cake or Death?

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I don't have pics yet, but I will see if somebody will take some of me- I'll be performing with my new toys this coming saturday night at a Pagan beltaine ball:)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"