Forums > Social Chat > My secret passion for the day: 80s Music

Login/Join to Participate

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I know, another music thread - but it's not the obvious question!

The radiostation I listen to is having a 24-h 80s music-a-thon. I woke up to Culture Club, and have been grooving and bobbing about shamelessly to such great classics like 'Heroes' by Bowie, 'I Ran' by A Flock of Seagulls, 'Here I Go Again' by White Snake, 'Shout' from Tears for Fears, and right now as I write this, 'The Locomotion' by good 'ol Kylie.

When I woke up, I was about to die from all of it... but the later it gets, the better these songs get!! It was the perfect day for a lot of the bobby happy 80s pop, and new wave, blue skies, sun, after 3 days of rain... and then chill out a bit to the more layed back, darker stuff, like some Peter Gabriel, for example. Even German new wave was being played! (Was a bit weird...) Now I wish I was born earlier than 88 to experience the real 80s culture!

A lot of time the music is really quite bad... But I dunno, it grows on you!

Are there any other secret (or not so secret) 80s music fans out there? There's a lovely thread dedicated to Jefferson Airplane [Old link] . What's your favourite bands? Songs? Opinions as to why 80s music is absolutely horrible and yet so amazing at the same time?

cool

Edit: Sunday, Bloody Sunday - U2 aaah, I love this song!!!

Edit 2: Here's the playlist if you're interested: [Old link]. You can see what Time I was waking up with the Cultre Club tongue

Edit 3: It's over frown The last hour was pretty dissappointing really... And they're doing... the news after it. Blargh. *crawls off to bed to get 6,5 hours of sleep*

Edit 4: Nelly Furtado. (Spelling??) Hey, a Canadian smile

~ Bobo

EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1114121636)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
Oooo! I absolutely love 80s music. Just ask Adrillf or kael, haha.
Some of my favo(u)rite tracks:
"Tenderness" General Public
"Back on the Chain Gang" The Pretenders
"Just Like Heaven" The Cure
""Come on Eileen" Dexy's Midnight Runners
"The Promise" When in Rome
"Europa and the Pirate Twins" Thomas Dolby

this list could actually get quite long....so I'll stop. Yay for the 80s!

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
men without hats - safety dance

styx - mr roboto

wonderful, funny, synthed up, ANOYING songs!

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Haven't heard those ones yet - I know them though! I'll check the playlist to see if they've been played yet...

biggrin Why is this so much fun?? (Wouldn't have anything to do with studying German satires since 14:00 (now 22:00) that makes it so awesome, would it?)

I Wear My Sunglasses at Night right now biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
i think its the music videos that do it for me.

Where else are you going to see some guy with major big hair/mullet, blindingly white tennis shoes, the tightest jeans uve ever seen and some red lether jacket with sparkly studs playing a 3 minute epileptic drum solo on octagonal drum sets...?

you gotta love the 80s

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I lived through the eighties..... trust me hun it was an era of selfish money hungry freaks in power suits with poodle hair cuts on one side and a huge number of unemployed disenchanted youths on the other side. Big hair and shoulder pads are a good enough reason never to go back to the 80's. *shudders at the thought of it*

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Skully: Flashdance. What's wrong with shoulder pads?

On that note, I will never willingly wear shoulder pads, probably for the rest of my life.

Konsti: Ditto. Love the 80s biggrin (after all, I was born in the 80s... That makes the 80s really good for me tongue) And the music videos! 'You Spin Me Right Round' by Dead or Alive was always a favourite of mine ubblol Somehow was better than most all rap videos today though... People were *gasp* clothed!

Edit: They already played 'We Built this City' frown Oh well, I have that on MD biggrin Bob Marley was on there a bit, and of course, 99 Luftballons von Nena! And 'The Safety Dance' was played. But it's not actually 24-h. Only 06:00m - 00:00. I feel cheated frown

~ Bobo
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1114115111)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"men without hats - safety dance"

biggrin for lots of reasons

Getting to the other side smile

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Pink Floyd right now ubblove I might stay up until 00:00 for this! I wanna know what their last song is, and the first normal song! ubblol

Edit: just played you spin me biggrin

~ Bobo
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1114116619)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
* grooves out!*

I love "funky town...."

"wont you take me to... funky town.."

ubblol ubblol

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I really love 80's music. Always have. Infact it's mainly what I listen to these days! smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
i want to ride my bicycle!!!!!!!

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Skully - yep the 80s were a time of much selfishness and a lot of the music reflected the greed. However, the backlash to that was some truly awesome music - the Ska movement, Thrash Metal and later Grunge. The 80s was the first decade when electronic music took off due to the advance of computers. Personally I love the over engineered sounds of band like Def Leppard – Hysteria (is such a good album), Queensrych – Operation Mindcrime (is such a good album) and various others.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
I lived the 80s too, and I loved it.
I think that refusing to see anything of the world in anything but its most appealing light may have helped, but don't think about that Skully.--- Think of the sounds. *Puts on old OMD record*

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.