DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
After reading [Old link] I thought I'd start my own, but specifically about two people poi, not two people spinning a pair of poi each but one being the left and one being the right......right! wink

(By the way....anyone got a name for this other than Two People Poi? )

So, basically, my good self and my learn'ed friend Rossco do quite a bit of this when we have time/space to practice and it's progressed quite well once we've got into the rhythm of it all. So far we've managed to nail the following moves:

Butterfly

3bt/5bt weave

Same time 3bt weave

Chase the sun

Airwraps

Hyperloops 2/4 bt

Butterfly Hyperloops

Butterfloops with passes to either person and back

Butterfloop throws

Also most of the above with turns/reverse etc.

I've figured recently (although not had the chance to try yet so it's still theory) that there are more options/moves available with two people than one, mainly because of having two free arms instead of them being stuck to the spinner. ie we could hyperloop and invert and do crazy turns all at the same time and exit somewhere totally new.

has anyone else been doing much of this? I'd really like to hear what ideas you've had and thoughts/theories you've developed since doing it.

Me and Ross will be performing within the next few months so I'd really appreciate any input folks could offer.

thankx hug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1114036488)

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Chips go better with Ketchup, than with honey wink

"anyone got a name for this other than Two People Poi?"
How about Little Richard? smile

To be honest, I tihin you and Rossco are the ony two people I have seen do this.

I think its cos its so hard no one else has tried.

Its fun though whcih is the odd thing..

People usually enjoy doing fun things.

umm

I'll go now.....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i do loads of this with my other self! its a lot of fun but my other self is a little scared that his poi might hit me and do me a mischief.

There is a really kewl move where he transitions a butterfloop right out of his ass!... is a miricle he doesnt damage some thing in the transition is truly a sight for sore holes erm i mean eyes wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
we tried some a few weeks ago, but not for long enough to get any good results... it was fun though, and quite a relief to hit someone else in the head for a change wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
lol

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep yep smile

rob and i did this for a while (well, once at glastonbury a couple of years back and then at the bjc last year outside a pub before the show).

we can do all that stuff minus the bf airwrap bits (mainly owing to the fact that i still don't understand how they work rolleyes).

i had a great idea for a renegade act with this - it involved a pair of really big trousers and one really big jumper... smile

i thought for ages that turning would get tricky but have since convinced myself otherwise due to the amount of other options made possible by having physically seperated arms.

after seeing dunc and rossco doing stuff that i couldn't, i had a good old think about it for a few days after with the intention of getting me princess playing with two person poi but time and weather have put paid to that so far, so i guess you guys can maybe make use of my brain dump instead... wink

- use hand changes insetad of stepping round each other to turn/swap directions

- longarm moves allow side switching and hence hand orientation changes (there are 'outside' hands and 'inside' hands with two people. easy to tell which you are using - can you hug each other or is your spare arm on the outside?)

- two person to one person and back you've already mentioned (can be done with tangles, throws, one handed moves, stalls. the list is endless here)

- inversions i don't like cos it gave me too many opportunities to hit rob in the face

- isolations would look gorgeous as they can be split all over the place

- opening flowers (synced longarm moves with steps to split them open and bring them back together - don't neglect the beauty of a simple airwrap here and there for these)

- 'shortinfront-tallbehind' orientation (as dunc is quite a bit taller i guess it would work with dunc and ross but i was thinking this would look best with the man/woman setup smile)

- wraps are all over the place but are trickier than you might first think (did a bit of 4 poi/2 person wrapping back in the day with mr moohaahaa but we stopped because the endless multitudes of wrap combos very quickly got boring. and my knees hurt wink) - i always liked the idea of spirally wraps to swap poi in 2 person/2 poi though...

never forget the classic 'arms through the armpits' bit for extra laughs and easy starts/finishes.

having two spare poi at the edge of your performance area makes for a good finish too smile

that should do ya for now.

and don't forget to have a proper hug at the end of every session ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hug at the end confused

We hug all the way through wink ubblove hug

Thanks Cole, some wicked ideas in there! I know what we're doing next time I see you, it'd be quite strange with someone as tall as me! biggrin

Thanks for the inspiration mate kiss hug2

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
My girlfriend and I do this too.
It´s great craic.
We do turning weaves and butterfly variations.

If you want to look real groovy. peace Do a 3 beat weave with both hands at the same time (ie 4 poi). It´s not as hard as it sounds. If you´re saying over under through to yourself just do it with both hands synchronised and they´ll fit.

Probably the hardest one we do is the money. Which is the same as above, with asynchronous timing. Making you look like you´re flailing like a simian. Best to go into from the synched one and then change your timing.

Future plans are to get both of the above with turns and one forards weave one backwards....like double staff follow time cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Oh and if you´re going to be performing this, then I´d recommend learning some synchrnised moves where you´r sperated with 2 poi each to move in and out of these moves with.

Unless you plan on talking to the audience while you do these things, which I have also seen made look good.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*bump* for birgit.

ironic that you couldn't find this thread becuase the title was in german... ubblol wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Im impressed you could find it Cole hug

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
lmao... see, whenever someone turns round to me and says something in German I don't understand it because I don't EXPECT it and the accent is usually quite bad, so it sounds like something English I don't understand ubblol

so... hmmmm... I put this down to the same reasons smile

thanks Cole hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half