Page:
juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I recently saw a guy at a party spinning with these crazy things that I'd never seen before... he'd constructed poi out of rubber tubing and then slid battery operated light rods into the tubes. the end result was this:

Non-Https Image Link

does anyone know how to make such a set? I was completely entranced, and intrigued by their indoor possibilities. ubblove

..·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

These are the roots of rhythm
And the roots of rhythm remain

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Hiya friend. welcome to Home of Poi.

I'm gonna do a Durbs and let you know there are many articles and threads allready here on Home of Poi that discuss this topic in much detail.

If you go up to the top of the Home of Poi menu list you will see "articles"
i recommend this essential reading for anyone new to the art of fire and poi spinning. it also has info on building Light or "LED" poi as you mentioned.

Another great thing to do is do a search of previous threads on the forum. almost any question you could ask has been asked before and the threads hold valauble information from seasoned HoP veterans.

Well. i hope that helps Juusan. We hope you enjoy your stay here at HoP. In case of an emergency. Please flail your arms in panic until our trained safety operaters cover you in a fire blanket

Happy Spinning ^_^

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
thanks! I searched the forums for 'light poi' and didn't find what I was looking for, and I've been on google for three hours now and haven't found much there either. what search terms were you using? maybe therein lies my problem.

digging through the articles only gave me this:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/makeLEDpoi.php

but I'm not looking for ball poi, rather, I'm searching for a "string" of electronic led rods. am I missing an article that goes beyond the basic ball light?

even after following your advice I'm not finding anything. frown I do appreciate your help though!

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
those actually look like it's just some clear Vinyl tubing (available at home depot or wherever), and then streetlights slid into them. (the strobing effect gives it away wink )
you can buy streetlighs online or at some toy stores and such, and then just go to home depot and find a tubing that works.... i think it's 1" I.D. (inside diameter) but i'd check.
best of luck! smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
If you search for "LED poi" it should yield more useful results.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I was thinking that, but how would you attach a finger loop to the tubing without the vinyl splitting from the force of spinning?

juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I've found a bunch of sites that are selling them, like here:

https://flowtoys.com/p_flowpoiduo.html

but nowhere are there instructions to MAKE them. I could use clear PVC or aquarium tubing, but I'm not sure how to secure everything so that they don't eventually break apart while being used.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: juusan

but I'm not looking for ball poi, rather, I'm searching for a "string" of electronic led rods. am I missing an article that goes beyond the basic ball light?

Okay there is a type of cable ( Glow Wire Light Kits or EL Glow Wire ) tht computer geeks use when creating mod case designs. it serves no purpose except to look funky! if you got hold of a couple of strands of these you'd be able to slip these through your tubing and connect to a battery.

It'll take a little customising and moddifying, but they generally don't use to much power so getting them working shouldnt be to much sweat!

hope tht helps!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Almost certainly streetlights shoved in some clear tubing, I reckon. Have a poke about on the net for Streetlights - they're these battery operated light rods you speak of. I expect they're just pushed into the tube, although I guess you could run some string through the tube and tie them on too. I've heard they break easily if you don't protect them though...

"Take that, math!"

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
thinkgeek.com

priceless smile

ture na sig

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
Written by: juusan

I was thinking that, but how would you attach a finger loop to the tubing without the vinyl splitting from the force of spinning?

easy....

Just punch 2 holes in one end of the tubing so you can thread a quick-link through..
if you wanna be more elaborate, at the same home depot you can find long bolts that have a really flat head, and a nut that also has a head (they are for shelves i think, ask for help) and put that thruogh the 2 holes, and then fit a quick link on that. the vinyl is actually pretty strong, and as you get into the bigger diameter it gets a lot thicker, as well.

i wish i had a digicam to show you, i hope this makes sense though smile

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Hey, these look wicked! Now I really want some of those!!! How do you get the LED in a line like that down the tubing and get them to stay there? Do you have to glue them in And can you run all the LEDs off the same power source? I read somewhere that you can run 10 LED off one battery for 7.5 hours. What bettery is this and how do you connect it?!?

Would it look something like this?

Dont laugh at the dumb picture redface couldn't work out how else to do it!! Would really ubblove to get some poi like this!

Sleep when yer dead!

Ted, Ted, I forgaat to have me breakfast, d' ya tink I moight doie?!!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....

lucideznewbie
7 posts

Posted:
check out quantum leashes from neon husky

))v((

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Wooo hoo, thanks heaps lucidez, prob maybe shouldn't say I bought stuff from here but they looked like they'd be soooo pweedy so I bought these. redface

Sleep when yer dead!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

They sell the streetlights and the clear plastic tubing as a set on Neon Husky. though the streetlights look amazing on trip mode i was extremly disapointed with there durability.

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Eeek, so do you reckon I've waisted my mahoney? I really hope not coz I really want to see some beautiful patterns. I don't need owt else to spin with the streetlights do I? I can just attatch them to my chains I have already right and fingers crossed I get a result!!?

Sleep when yer dead!

lucideznewbie
7 posts

Posted:
i'm sure the patterns will be beautiful, but just don't spin while standing on a hard floor and try really really hard not to hit yourself or smack your poi together. the streetlights are not known for their durability (or so i've heard from a few sources)

))v((

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Oky doke, got ya, no hard floors and be careful....eeek, fank yooou! Can't wait till they arrive!!

Sleep when yer dead!

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
those streetlights are damn cheap for what they do... ill be hugging my ma soon to ask if i can borrow her creditcard ^_^ those streetlights look so sweet !!

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
ok, it a little late now, well, not that much and im new!! eek redface but hey! who cares! ok, everyone does but still....

i have the streetlights, and we sell them in our shop as poi but we didnt realise that they this CHEAP! i think we were ripped off! they are amazing, just brill, but the thing that we found is the multicoloured ones DONT have the strobe effect lik the single colour ones do? but from the picture at the top i can see they should? oh well, people are happy with them so im not complaining! but yeah, they are fragile but it is pretty well protected with the tubing.

just dont do butterfly! lol, anything you want to know? ask! lol, thanks,

fussy

stupidity is not a crime, you are free to go!!!

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
Written by: fussy

but the thing that we found is the multicoloured ones DONT have the strobe effect lik the single colour ones do? but from the picture at the top i can see they should?

this is true now, they say they cant guarentee if your streetlights will have strobe or steady on mode, my old multi ones had the strobe, and then they broke and 2 months later i decided to get more, and now they didnt have strobe, i was pretty pissed of, as that was the only reason i bought them. Oh well...
they say in time there might be streetlights with strobe and steady on mode, when they make those, i suggest buying them. Otherwise you are not guarenteed to get ones that strobe.

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
The streetlights I have from neonhusky have what I would guess to be a strobe mode (each colour flashes in succession), and if you put them in the thick plastic tubing, they seem to be reasonably durable so far. I try not to use them for practice, just in case, though, but I'm finding because of the tubular shape as opposed to the round poi that I'm used to, I need to practice with both. At someone's suggestion in a glowsticking thread, I tied them to shoelaces, which seems to work much better than chains.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
www.neonhusky.com

They have what they call "quantum" Leashes. It's basicly a clear tube with some leds in it... It makes some really cool effects... But it's like 50$ US for them...

EDITED_BY: EpsilonKias (1116717225)

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
some guy in the club I go to was selling the multi-colored streetlights for 5 bucks each last night. They may not have been the exact brand, but they look identical. Mine do have that "trance mode" they are talking about. all of the other settings they have are pretty much worthless for spinning, because they are too slow to make a clear pattern while spinning. I do think they should make a slow fade between colors, where they don't go out. That would make for some nice effects.

but they are EXTREMELY fragile. I completely destroyed one and split a second. I bought a third so I could keep playing. I reccomend that you make certain modifications to them to make them more durable. I made some changes to mine, and I'm hoping to give them a test tonite and see how they perform. first, the triangle ring that holds the stick to it's lanyard is quite weak, and it doesn't withstand the centrifugal force of spinning. I went to Dick's sporting goods, into their fishing section, and picked up a set of split-rings to use instead.

Also, to protect the sticks themselves, I went to Lowes and bought a length of 1"OD 3/4" ID vinyl tubing. I am going to slip the sticks inside this tube as a cushion. I suspect that the force will pull the sleeves off, but that can be dealt with by sealing the tubes with silicone aquarium sealant. A small window can be cut in the tubes to allow access to the battery case once it's sealed inside. I'll try to give a report of my results.

What exactly do I have to light on fire to get you to notice me?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
5 weeks ago I ordered streetlight... due to problems with delivery and such they were delayed but finally arrived:

6 streetlights biggrin no 'trip-mode' for my streetlight unfortenately... but still they're very nice and BRIGHT! me likes, me like very much smile

very nice, very pretty... but they indeed look fragile. I ordered them at neonhusky with 'deflectors' (= vinyl thingies) which gives some protection but probably not enough... i wanna do wraps with them so they need a lot of protection (the streetlights are forced to 'bend' in some way when you wrap them)...

Conclusion: im looking for some protection tips... and ill share my own tips.

*EDIT*

just figured: if I just MELT strong metal wire onto or INTO the vinyl it'll give a good bunch of extra protection... but is it meltable? I have a soldering-equipment thingie so i can do it with that... anyone tips? will I die if i try to melt the vinyl?
EDITED_BY: anonomatos (1117974663)

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

whoops there it is!!! one of my streetlightpoi

pyrosymSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
I have used streetlights in many ways but to protect them well is hard and I'm not that good at poi so I still blew them all to bits hehe. Their construction is very poor but the light off them is great.

I think of them more as an item to augment costumes than for spinning.

FREE hugs always available..........
I R never out of stock 8)

pyrosymSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Getting a little more out of your streetlights (very little more).

One thing I did was put a stainless steel strip along the flattened backside of the streetlight. I glued it on with araldite and put it in its deflector.

I then drilled a hole in the end of the metal strip to attach my string (rather than use the hole on the streetlight which I used previously to disastrous end).

I used a thick piece of Heatshrink and shrank that down onto the projected piece of metal and over the end of the streetlight to make it safe and also added extra security to my string connection.

A little long winded but it did decrease the amount of flex in the streetlight ergo more protection.

I have done wraps ok with this design but I still say give 'em a good beating and they're gonna break. The plastic housing of the streetlight is fundamentally flawed in 2 ways.

1: The plastic is too brittle
2: The battery cover cuts the streetlights rigidity in half (this is where most of my ones failed.

After many different stlyes and design modifications I decided to stop using street lights and buy Aerotech baton's and have done with it. They are by far a better class of poi baton.

aerotech projects

The bonus with these is if you break them you can simply send them back for repairs at a reasonable rate.

A friend of mine is a tester for aerotech designs and some of the toys he is getting his hands on are a must for any professional.

FREE hugs always available..........
I R never out of stock 8)

juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
for those interested in buying streetlight poi from someone other than neon husky, I'd recommend these guys:

https://www.flowtoys.com/
https://www.flowtoys.com/p_flowpoiduo.html

it's just a guy and his wife making them by hand in san francisco. they're infinitely more durable than the leashes by neon husky, and they're made by someone who loves the art.

support the little guy!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
any chance we could see a photo of your streetlights when they're turned off?

Cake or Death?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
As you wish... anyways, I dunno if you meant MY streetlights or someone else's... but I made a picture.

Non-Https Image Link

some comment on the photo... and YES, they are -quite- strong! the metal is unbreakable, and the metal is packed tight and glued between the vinyl and the streetlight... it works good... thanks for the tip pyrosym... there's no way of bending or breaking the streetlight now.

Page: