Forums > Social Discussion > Blair or Howard, is there any opinions not based on a slag match?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Stainless MunchkinMaster of the Munchkins
246 posts

Posted:
So this election has turned out like the one in America! Both major parties just insult the other parties leader, no policies are discussed or anything! I was just wondering what people thought of the two main candidates smile

Are you that clever that you smile forever? biggrin

What's from the Earth is of the greatest worth

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
slag match... that like foxy boxing?

welcome to politics. you get used to it, or you have some fun and incite a few revolutions. just keep em legal, k?

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Blair and howard, what a pair of a-holes.

Listen. The Lib Dems in britain would probably do a much better job than either of the other 2. If you aren't planning on voting in this election, or if you dunno who to vote for I seriously reckomend taking a look at what the lib dems are all about. They just aren't tied up in the same levels of dirty money as teh other 2 parties. They have a lot of very sensible ideas and lets face it, they couldn't do any worse than blair. Plus they don't staand around slagging the others off nearly as much as red and blue.

It amazes me that people who used to vote old labour still vote new labour. The labour party was destroyed people. New labour, neo-labour is just a bunch of tory ideals. Anyhoo, I know very little about all this stuff. I do know that privatisation by thatcher was increadibly cruel, i know that blair has turned the government meetings into more of a corporate think tank and I know that lib dems want to redestribute wealth, so the poor get richer and the rich get poorer.

Anyways, just don't vote labour for christs sake. Anyone but labour.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
John howard is the worst thing to happen to this country in a long time

His blind leg humping of george bush (satan) is going to get this country into a lot of trouble.

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
family first is the devil

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: DoktorSkell

John howard is the worst thing to happen to this country in a long time

Is it not Michael Howard or have I just imagined that was his first name?

I agree with the above that the Lib Dems are a sensible and viable party. I think the fact that they have never been in power within living memory to be something of a bonus.

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I too agree with the Lib Dems.

If everyone who didn't like Labour and Conservative voted for Lib Dems, they would win with a landslide.

Alas too many people waste their vote by not voting at all!!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

i have no idea why, but these two seem so alike... shrug

Imagine my suprise seeing a man have a ship eating torpedo drill shoved into his stomach on an itv movie, and flicking to the news to see him standing there, still seeking a world based around facism...and not an agent in sight...or a torpedo....dang

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
Sometimes it seems the elections are less about real policy than about who can sling the most mud. If you discount the two main contenders, then at least vote for the LibDems if you've no other choice. Please don't waste your vote by not using it!

sin

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep - listen to charles kennedy.
he talks about the issues, not about how sh!t the others parties/party leaders are.

higher taxes, but a better run country - sounds fair to me.

check out the lib dem manifesto and compare it to the ones that the other two parties have put out and they seem severely lacking in several areas.

ignore slur tactics, get informed, use your vote smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
in Australia Labour didn't have that gooda policies
except for saving tassies forests
so i made my parents vote greens
if only we were communists grouphug

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to think of ways i could help the lib dems get into power. But like everyone else i think, what difference can i make? But perhaps there is something we could all do to help?

I think something like 25% of the population voted for blair. Now that doesn't sound like a democracy to me. But we are fooled into thinking that we can't do anything about it.

Just imagine the look on blairs face if the lib dems got in, and howard if he came third!!! That would be hilarious.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I tihink the look on the faces of the LibDem MPs would be the best...

smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
they totally deserve it. they seem to be the only ones who actually give a toss about the state of the country and not just about getting into power and slagging everyone else off.

What amazes me is that if the labour government were the government of a country like say korea. Then blair would be on trial in an international court for war crimes (it's illegal to invade a country that poses no threat), genocide (killing sh1t loads of inocent civilians) and an illegal nuclear weapons program (which costs us tax payers an obsene amount of money). But because we're british and we've got a good deal going with america ~ blair gets to do as he pleases. So of course you get some geezer in korea thinking, well if they can do it then so will I. But of course they are terrorists, we are ????

It's more like, we are Terrorists, they are Reactionaries.

246 posts

Posted:
Ive never even thought of LibDems, Ive always tgouht that they were a joke, and they would never get anywhere, but according to you guys they are fair game! Thats news to me, and good news at that, because I dont like the slag match politics that happens between the other two!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
btw Fine_Rabid_Dog those 2 images are hilarious, very scary similarity

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
stainless munchkin - i recommend that you get copies of the thre main parties' manifestos, read them and then make up your mind.

here are links with matching colour-coded smilies for your subliminal message absorbing pleasure wink

liberal democrats smile

labour mad

conservative frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Cheers for those links Cole. LibDems are the only ones so far who have bothered to post literature to our house about their policies and local candidate.

I like the way they get their messages across, they only slag off labour briefly because of Iraq, the rest is about how they want to make taxes more fair, tackle crime and anti-social behaviour, improve transport and scrap tuition fees. They didn't promise to achieve all these things, they promised to fight and campaign for them. Their approach seems much more in touch with reality to me.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I think the manifestos should be a legally binding document.

I mean how much that they promise do they actually deliver?

If they promise stuff and dont deliver once elected they should forfit their election, because they got elected to do things which they didn't do.

Obviously no elected party is ever going to bring in a law like that ~ because they would lose the power they have gained.

That's why IMO our democracy doesn't work.

Also a vote for nobody should count as a vote. ie I vote that none of these muppets is fit to run the country. Then if the majority vote for no one they should all have to rethink their manifestos and put forward new leaders. Or have a hung parliament, where i think each party has equal say in governmentweighted by vote numbers (but i could be wrong on that)

Cole, even the smilies know who's best

m

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
to quote one of the lib dems top ten reasons to vote for them

"WE OPPOSE:

Bush & Blair on Iraq

WE PROPOSE:

Never again

It's time to restore trust in government"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
good stuff matt.

i was wandering about after reading your post looking up what exactly a hung parliamnet would mean (thats right confusing it turns out!), and i found this lovely article on proportional representation.

controversially (i.e. an alternative stand to labour and tory policy) the lib dems propose to implement the stv (single transferable vote) version of pr for all local and national uk elections.

is it becoming obvious that i'm just another one of those 'bleeding heart liberals'?

i think nowdays, liberal is the only option that offers policies that are fundamentally different to labour (and hence by association, tory) policy.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

246 posts

Posted:
Im interested in this stuff, but it doesnt matter because I cant vote!!! 2 more ears smile

10,530 posts

Posted:
u have to have four ears to vote? biggrin tongue

i cant vote either, which makes it more infuriating when hundreds of people waste their votes...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

to quote one of the lib dems top ten reasons to vote for them

"WE OPPOSE:
Bush & Blair on Iraq
WE PROPOSE:
Never again
It's time to restore trust in government"

They've got my vote. How can we re-elect a government that refused to listen to a country who didn't want war!? (then again america did with bush)

The LDs have spent far more time promoting themselves with policies that are designed to actually help people and make the country better when the tories and labour have spent all their time being childish and immature and resorting to petty name calling.

the choice seems pretty clear to me!

oh and some tories with leaflets and clipboards really annoyed me today when they knocked on my front door and when i answered they asked 'is your mum or dad in??' I'm 22...i voted in the last general election i think i'm old enough to vote in this one!

10,530 posts

Posted:
maybe they wernt out for the youth vote... or maybe they were morons

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
...or maybe they realised the young ones aren't that dumb wink

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stainless Munchkin

Ive never even thought of LibDems, Ive always tgouht that they were a joke, and they would never get anywhere, but according to you guys they are fair game! Thats news to me, and good news at that, because I dont like the slag match politics that happens between the other two!

if nothing else they could get in to opposition and that would make me a very happy bunny. biggrin

at least that would be a step in the right direction.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
SO many people i know think libs dems have no chance but think their policies are great.

Very odd. But they just don't get the kind of press and "air time" that the other 2 get.

I saw today that the Sun (british tabloid with fingers in lots of pies) are voting for labour, which will swing the vote massively.

The Sun's a Rupert Murdoch paper isn't it, same guy who owns Fox in america which strongly favours Bush.

Written by:

if nothing else they could get in to opposition and that would make me a very happy bunny.

at least that would be a step in the right direction.

That would rock. But even if they do come third, the more people who vote for them, the more power they have ~ well that's kinda how it works.

The way I see it a vote for the lib dems is a step in the right direction whatever the outcome, because it is a tendacy towards a more positive outcome.

m

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yes, there are un-slag match opinions, just nobody knows them! smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Part of the problem is media bias and media sensationalism...

To illustrate the first point;

Before deciding to back Labour News International (Murdoch media... not just the Sun, also The Times and bSkyb) said they looked long and hard at the two parties, and while Labour aren't perfect they would be way out of touch with their readers if they backed the tories. The lib dems dont even get considered. When the media says that a party isn't worth considering and represents a wasted vote a lot of people listen... People get their news from the media, so the media has a massive influence on the public perception of a political party.

Journalists work to sell papers. The cost of a paper doesn't cover all the expense (journalists, editors, photographers, graphic designers, printers, the paper itself, etc) of the outgoings on an issue, what does is advertising. The higher the circulation of the paper the higher the cost of advertising within it. As advertising keeps the papers in buisness, you're not going to see many anti buisness or radical left-wing political discussions in the mainstream media. Advertisers would leave as the paper doesn't serve their interests, so a form of self censorship based on the papers self-intreset comes into play. While Fox/The Sun/ Murdoch media have been seen as leading proponents of this right wing bias don't be fooled into thinking thats as far as it goes.

For a much better and more detailed explanation read Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky, its a real eye opener.

The other point is about sensationalism. Big catchy headlines with little substance have become the mainstay of tabloid media (Read Hidden Agendas by John Pilger for a tabloid history and the shift from education to entertainment in media). Insults sell papers, articles which explore policies and manifestos in depth are seen as boring and so you wont be seeing much in the way of informed critical debate in the tabloids. It sucks, but thats the way it is at the moment.

So for fucks sake lets change it

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
Yeh i have to say Family First are evil (lycanthrope smile ) They once said the bottle shops and other religion's churches are "satan strongholds" .....grrrrr i get so pissed offed at dickheads like that, and the one on my pic!

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

Page: