Forums > Social Discussion > New pope elected - Pope Benedict XVI

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
It seems that half an hour ago the cardinals have elected then new pope. Congrats to catholics everywhere and Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now known as Pope Benedict XVI

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
what if jesus was protestant

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Then something that went on a very long time ago would have changed in a very small way changing my life in no way at all. Anything else?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Technically pk was right...but I wouldn't say he was a friend of Hitlers, nor would I say it's a bad choice

He was a 'Hitler Youth' as a boy. Not that he could have helped that...what with all the brainwashing and whatnot.

But it doesn't matter...I wish him all the best.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

209 posts

Posted:
maybe the NAZI's will reinvent themselves through the catholic church

*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

209 posts

Posted:
ive been reading to much conspiracy theories of late

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Technically pk was right

How so? See my quotation from wikipedia, if anything he was anti-nazi, but he was forced to join up. there are loads of bad things to say about him so why not stick to the ones that are true?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

209 posts

Posted:
oi im going on my gut feeling

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dpes it not strike anyone else as odd, that they seem to have got his name wrong consistantly?

It says he is called Joseph Ratzinger.
So why have they called him Benedict?

umm

209 posts

Posted:
he changed his name to better suit his position

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
*smacks head gainst keyboard*

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
The changing of name thing represents a new beginning, similar to taking a Confirmation name. Many other religions have traditions of name changing. My ex-flatmate was called James (and still is by his Mum) but he later changed his name to Ali when he started to take his Islamic faith more seriously. The best example within Christianity of name changing to represent a new beginning is when Saul, a Jew who worked for the Romans as Christian exterminator, suddenly became a Christian himself and then changed his name to Paul to show that his old ways are no more.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Why has there never been a Pope Brian, Bob or Dave then?

frown

Who chooses these names?
Lousianna De Medici?

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
They tend to name themselves after people who have inspired them i.e. people who they would like to model themselves on.

>I'm optimistic.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
ill be pope:
mahatma "che" hendrix the 420th

-Alfred Dorfer

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
ubblol

>I'm optimistic.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'll vote for you Konsti.
wink

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

Written by: pk

he is a nazi!

Written by: wikipedia

the son of a police officer who was staunchly anti-Nazi. In 1937 Ratzinger's father retired and settled in the town of Traunstein. When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth, but according to his biographer John Allen he was not an enthusiastic member.

you're not making assumptions about old germans are you? umm

actually he was in the hitler youth program

but then again, so was just about everyone of his age. you pretty much had to be I think

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

Technically pk was right

How so? See my quotation from wikipedia, if anything he was anti-nazi, but he was forced to join up. there are loads of bad things to say about him so why not stick to the ones that are true?

No I was just saying that he was a Hitler Youth so for he kind of was a 'nazi'. I heard this on the news before

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
When did you become a Cardinal UCOF - the strange thing about becoming a Pope is that there are no rules regarding who the Cardinals can vote for. Therefore, Konsti could become Pope Mahatma "Che" Hendrix (not the 450th though since there hasn't been a 1st let alone a 449th) so long as the Cardinals believed that he is a cool enough guy to lead the Catholic church - he doesn't even have to be Catholic!!!

>I'm optimistic.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
wow now i have to go and suck up to bunch of cardinals
wink
excuse the pun

-Alfred Dorfer

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
The name thing!

Pope "john Paul the 2nd" to you guys....
Pappa Giovanni Paulo Secondo... to us here in Italy.

Is a simple translation not much to understand......

Dont quite know how they got to benedict though confused

So any of you live in Italy confused Where the Pope lives confused and what most people here think about the new pope confused that is a big deal here considering every one is mostly Catholics confused...
didnt think so... all those that took offence...... am i not allowed an opinion before getting shot down?... you took pffence personally when some thing was asaid about some one else totally unrelated to you... and completly a generalisation eek tsk...

Discussion Board.... = ubbloco

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
So you’re saying that in your opinion he is a Nazi? Obviously this opinion will stir a certain amount of feeling and therefore I asked what you based this opinion on. Of course you are entitled to an opinion - you "hate religion" and I respect your opinion. However, there are many Catholics outside of Italy and the appointment of a new Pope is of great concern to us. There are also a lot of Germans who are not Nazi's and have never been Nazi's. Come on - read your comments - you must be able to see why people are offended?

>I'm optimistic.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
so you want my opinion!

ok... why pick some old fart that aint got long left to live?.... stupid.... bring the church in to our times.....
It could have been a whole lot different if they had chose the coloured guy instead! confused would have been the first non white pope... and he is younger.

We are living in our times now...... things thata happened in the past can not be changed right!.... not even with todays technology ubbidea
He was in the hitler youth... he did his time, he served hitler and his nazi regime (sp?).. he did his crimes i hope it is on his concience... maybe his beliefs in god will change what he did in his youth or forced to do will maake him think that it is now all ok.. Personally i think he was the wrong candidate for becoming pope.

I dont disagree with religion... i personally dont believe in it and dont follow my life with it. however it goes far deeper than that for me and im not about to list my whole life again. wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Couldn't agree more with Gelfling smile There's more than a billion Catholics in the world, and not even 6 % of them live in Italy.

Surely you're allowed an opinion before you get shot down, it's because of the opinion that you do get "shot down"... though (just my opinion...) I always find it slightly amusing how people on here claim they have the right to express their thoughts, make generalisations and be sometimes insulting to some people, and then when others express an opposite opinion in response they get annoyed.

The name thing was more about how Karol Woytila (sorry about the spelling...) got JPII and Joseph Ratzinger got Benedikt, not how John Paul translates to Giovanni Paolo...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

I always find it slightly amusing how people on here claim they have the right to express their thoughts, make generalisations and be sometimes insulting to some people, and then when others express an opposite opinion in response they get annoyed.

who is annoyed confused im not for one... i couldnt care less if some one dislikes what i put in my first post wink it is howeven in discussion.. im not about to let some thing like this upset me.

If this upsets some one else confused why it is a discussion... is not aimed at ny one that posts here... no one here is the pope are they?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
pk:

BBC:

"He deserted the German army towards the end of the war and was briefly held as a prisoner of war by the Allies in 1945."

Deserting the army at that time was a crime that was punished by execution if you were caught. One of my relatives got shot for refusing to burn down a Jewish house. My grandfather was ordered to defend a village in what's now Bulgaria from the Russians days after all the officials had fled the village already and only escaped what was known to be a suicide mission hidden in a wagon and because my gran covered him in bandages and claimed his leg was broken.

So from an 18-year-old, especially one that had been indoctrinated by Nazi propaganda from early childhood, how much more courage would you expect? I think you have a very poor idea of what it is like to grow up in times/circumstances like that.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

209 posts

Posted:
one of my friends 2nd cousins friend was an altar boy for the pope and its disscusions like this that make altar boys cry and mutilate themselves

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
make sure he doesn't read hop forums then smile unless he likes pain. ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

209 posts

Posted:
lol doesnt matter i bet the pope knows how to cheer him up, make him feel better biggrin ubblol wink:D ubblol wink:D ubblol wink:D ubblol wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"There's more than a billion Catholics in the world" - Birgit

I couldnt agree more. smile

and Lycanthrope... looks to me like you need spaces. wink

Page: