OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Okay, I like sleeping. Complete, utter fact! I love getting into bed at the end of a day, and drifting off into sleep. I sleep really well, and through most anything, and if I put my mind to it, I can sleep at any time.

Right now, I've got my body-clock thingie completely set. In bed some time before midnight, to 6:30am on week days. Week ends, if can change to as late as 2 in bed, and up at.. 12 sometimes :rolleyes: My problem, is when I do have to stay up later, I get really really tired, because my body says 'yo biatch, go to sleep! You know you want to!'

But, I've got an event coming up, where I need to stay awake until 6am or so.

It's pretty pathetic, asking how to stay awake, I suppose. But what should I do? I can't drink coffee, because in past experiences it makes my heart go into palipitations. (only strong coffee though), and the event I'm going to, will probably only have alcohol... Should I sleep on the 4h train ride to where I'm going? then sleep more when I get to where I'm staying?

How do you all manage to stay awake after a day of school, travelling, and then go to a massive party until 6 in the morning? I'm pretty sure I can do it, but I don't want to be complaining every 5 seconds about how tiiiired I am... Which I've been known to do! But... I like sleeping!

Help?

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Power naps are the bomb. I often go home and put my head down for an hour. Especially if i know im out for an all nighter.

and like you i am a complete sleep fiend. if i dont get 8-10 hours i dont function.

a one hour nap can do wonders. i always keep it to an hour too. Otherwise its way to hard to wake up.

Love is the law.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i can't survive off less than 8 hours a night and do a proper day's work the following, which really sucks. When I was at uni I'd stay up till 2.30am, and get up at 10.30ish. Now I have a job I have to be asleep by 12am to get up in the morning frown. It's not laziness, I really do wanna be able to sleep less

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i am one of those people who can't stay awake late and when i used to work in a night club, i found it really dificult.

make sure you keep really hydrated and take some snacks...not too much carbohydrates though cos they'll make you tired..just fruit or something. Thats how i used manage. staying up late.

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
well after regularly getting 2hrs sleep a night for a year as an insomniac.. its been an experience getting a 'normal' amount of sleep. *looks at clock* almost 2am *shh..*

just keep yourself busy, there's more interesting things to do than be asleep!!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I love sleeping too! My boyfriend thinks there's something wrong with me because I keep passing out at about 10 - 11pm most weeknights. I can't help it, if I force myself to stay awake I get really grumpy. It's only since I've been working in this office job, I feel really drained when I get home and I hate it.

Thing is, he works about 55 hours a week and he's still got some energy left at the end of the day, so he really doesn't understand why i'm so tired. Power naps are ok, but I still feel sleepy after them for an hour or so. Sometimes I think I get overly-tired because I don't eat enough (sometimes), so my body doesn't get enough 'fuel'.

I used to go out on all-nighters every weekend. I used to have more energy than my friends too, when it got to 8am I'd still be dancing away, still awake at 11am and that's without any help from drugs! It's so frustrating that I can't even imagine being able to do this any more. frown

I can see how keeping 'really hydrated' could help, the need to pee would probably keep me up!

Thanks for starting this topic OrangeBobo, because I need help too! hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
hmmm... im addicted to reading so i just dont get enough sleep... "o look... an early night... lets just finish the chapter" ( 6 chapters later...) xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i hear what u mentioned bout coffee, but have you ever tried pro-plus? theyre caffine tablets and are good for keepin awake on a night out, also have a redbul or two........ unless the caffine affects you really badly then dont lol

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
pro-plus seem to have the exact opposite effect on me :s lil caffeine-based tranqs

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
mm, i've recently become a lot less hardcore - used to do all-nighters on a regular basis [often just fuelled by booze and spliff], and now i can't . . . grr

staying awake: the important thing is to keep active. as long as you're in a stimulating environment, try to keep moving, etc, you'll be fine. exposure to music and bright lights helps.

I did an all-night juggling gig recently and found it remarkably easy to stay up, even though i was a bit sleep-deprived that week.

one thing to watch out for: your wakefulness goes in cycles, so expect to feel knackered around the time you usually crash out, then you should gradually wake up for the next couple of hours, get drowsy for the next couple, etc. four-hour cycles, y'see.

did anyone watch 'shattered' last year?

smile

ture na sig

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
I find that if I stay awake past a certain point I can do an all-nighter. I think that's when I reach over-tired and just go onto some automatic sleep deprived hypo. It's grand... and sleep is so good the next night, mmm!

smells like burning teenagers..

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: quiet

staying awake: the important thing is to keep active. as long as you're in a stimulating environment, try to keep moving, etc, you'll be fine. exposure to music and bright lights helps.

one thing to watch out for: your wakefulness goes in cycles, so expect to feel knackered around the time you usually crash out, then you should gradually wake up for the next couple of hours, get drowsy for the next couple, etc. four-hour cycles, y'see.

That I completely agree with! It's like a rollercoasterness of sleepyness... But once you get up the big hill, you're awake for the ride back down! Untill you have to go back up again... But I used to stay up all night talking to friends - not doing anything! Or even just chatting on the computer until I heard my mum getting ready for work, and deciding to crawl into bed, and it wasn't that big of a problem - but mainly on summer holidays! But now because I have to wake up so much earlier (used to get up at 8:30, aaahhh!) I've had to regulate my sleep more.

As for the caffine pills - I don't want to risk it. My body doesn't tend to like things for the first time, which makes me a bit paranoid, because I don't know how it'll work/how I'll react, and from panicking, it gets worse shrug Besides, there's other stimulants (like the mentioned drinks, music, lights, and movement - and it's partially outside, so I think fresh air would help too).

But I'm really happy to see I'm not the only one who likes regular sleep! Hehe, unfortunately, doesn't work so well for situations like this tongue hug

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
sleep?
SLEEP?
SLEEEEEEEEEEEP!?!?!?
-is something i can live without...

*twitch*
*twitch*

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Stainless MunchkinMaster of the Munchkins
246 posts

Posted:
when ive got friends over we just chat and do stuff, and then the next thing you know its 4 in the mornin, so theres no point in going to sleep because you will just wake up at a really late time, so i just stay active, even after everyone else has gone to sleep, it doesnt matter what, just make sure that once you get bored youve got something new to do smile

Are you that clever that you smile forever? biggrin

What's from the Earth is of the greatest worth

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Try to get as much sleep in as you can before (the whole week, not just the night before). Get as much fresh air on the event as you can, too. Apart from that good company is the best thing I can suggest, they can talk to you, sing and bounce with you, pinch you, put ice-cold beer bottles against your neck to wake you up etc smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
SUGARRR!!!!!!!!!!
Red cordial!!!!
No alcohol missy, could ahve the wrong effect.
Strumping also helps...
stick some star wars on and express yourself with enormous arm and pelvic thrusting...you'll laugh for hours..no sleep!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Just think about girls (or guys whatever your preference is)

Thinking about members of your preffered sex can keep you up ALL night sometimes

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
Red Bull & V, just dont mix with alcohol it has some weird effects.
and if you make yourself really cold it increases metabolism which will keep you awake

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

I suffer from cronic isomnia ( i think ) it comes every 4 months for about 2 weeks nightmare so most of the time im asking HOW can i get to sleep ....sorry i cant help....good luck

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
practice - you can reset your body clock if you want..

Also - being fit helps a lot in maintaining your energy levels.

I find tricking my body into thinking I've slept is usually enough. In oz the festivals in the summer can often go above 40degrees C during the day which is obviously too hot to get any decent sleep in. So I just go to sleep from about 10pm til 2am and then Im fine right through the next day. Ive kept this pattern for about a week at the most, and havent found any really bad effects from it, in fact comapred to the other ways that ppl use to stay up all night every night in a row I think my way is downright healthy! smile

Caffiene works, but if you have too much it will do you in...

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: DoktorSkell

Just think about girls (or guys whatever your preference is)

Thinking about members of your preffered sex can keep you up ALL night sometimes

ubblol very funny! My boyfriend will be there, so if I use that to keep me awake, and if he finds out about it... it might be a "We're 'tired'... We're going 'home'..." (okay, rather an inside joke...)

So, I figure my plan is, the night before, staying up as late as I can, then school the next day, and then sleeping the whole train ride, and the whole day before the party, then having a teeny bit of coffee to wake me up a touch, and then head out for the night/morning. I find that if I stay awake late one night, sleep, I can stay awake longer the next night.

Aah, I'll figure it out somehow!!

I just hope it's not 40°C!!! That'd really kill me... I'm a winter person, I melt between 25°C - 30°C... And I find -10°C a nice temp...

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

monkeynamedspankPadawan
197 posts

Posted:
Just don't use energy unnecessarily. Save it for when and where you really want to use it. I can't get to sleep before 3 atm, it's actually kinda annoying. Find stuff to concentrate on. You need stimulation.

Damn the addictiveness of forums! (Or should it be addictivity?)

JilavreGOLD Member
32 posts

Posted:
I love sleep as much as the next person, but staying awake is not generally a problem for me.
Waking up on the other hand definately not my strong suit.

I can stay awake for days, but getting up early after a big night is simply not going to happen. Once I get to sleep my body simply will not let me wake up until it's ready.