Forums > Other Toys > making your own fire sword

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
would it be possible for me to put kevlar rope onto a cheap samuri sword and pull off a cool fire sword effect? if so how do i go about attaching the rope to the sword?

im thinking this might not work for long term but i kinda want to make use of a single burn to see how awesome it looks lol

advise me against it if you must hug

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Ok on the subject of constructing fire swords, you probably don't want ot hear about what I did to a non matched pair of 150 year french baynets, this was a prototype fire sword project, which has worked very well, will put some images up when i have time, the kevlar 65mm has been attached by riviting, i had a local engineering works drill holes through the sword blade with a carbarundum drill bit which they had to sharpen twice, we blunted everything else. kevlar was wrapped helically around the blade and rivited in place with washers, these are rated for full contact and have been used as such,

mark

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Sorry Howoward, I should've been a little clearer. I meant to way, who in the audience would notice. Obviously, it would feel different. smile Rest assured, I mean no disrespect.

My example was... exaggerated for effect. Actually, a friend of mine constructed a fire sword out of an old pipe -- with a little more attention than just wrapping it wick. With a good handle, it actually felt distinctly sword-like (from my limited experience of actual swords). Besides, on psychological things, some training bokken are (essentially) little more than a big stick with a hand guard... It's what you make of it, I suppose.

As for chinese broadswords, tiger hooks, scimitars or whatever, I'd personally feel more comfortable getting a local blacksmith to cut a piece of steel to the required size and shape, and then butchering that. Somehow drilling holes in genuine swords feels a little like drawing a marker pen moustache on the Mona Lisa, if you know what I mean. smile

Thanks a lot for that link though. Very useful -- but are these in centigrade or fahrenheit? FYI, (as a generalised guideline) if your flame temperature starts to approach 500-600 Centigrade, you should start to think about the heat effects on the metal. A lot of metals will start to weaken, especially after repeated use.

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
methinks in fahrenheit, the table is.
No disrespect taken of course smile
I agree with ya- many bokken are not much more than a "stick with a hand guard" - truthfully, I never studied kendo (I'm told it doesn't have much translation to fire swords anyway), so someone please correct me (us) on that one.

It is always dicey converting a sword to a fire sword. I'm definitely not in favor of "defiling" a sword - these days, my designs involve mainly finding better ways to wrap the sword in wick, rather than relying on drilling holes through the sword (or using predrilled holes, as in 9 ring broadswords)

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
Aluminum makes fine fireswords, unless you're dumb enough to use straight gasoline or something higher octane like JP8. The common temperatures we work with do not get high enough to do appreciable damage to aluminum. Trust me here, been using the same 3 aluminum fireswords for full-contact shows for two years now. Also specifically, it's 6061 aircraft aluminum, 3/16 inch thick, 2 inches wide. the florentines are 24 inch blades, and the Hand-and-a-half has a 36 inch blade. they're wicked down the spine of the blade, and we really bang these three together on a regular basis.
Here's an example of a dancing-only aluminum blade. When completed it will have wick down the spine, stopping 4 to 6 inches from the tsuba (that's "hand-guard" to you american- and english- only readers.)

Non-Https Image Link

Hope my input has helped you at least a bit.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Moondancemember
65 posts

Posted:
Wicked! i check this forum after more than a year and as a sworddancer i love the idea of burning swords!!! wow
Is there any place i can find a video or whatever of how these burning swords move???

Really made my day to find this out hahaha

Greetz moondance thankx

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
I've got a tiny vid in Divx on double broadswords here
EDITED_BY: howwoward (1157469187)

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

241 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdBAJzOjQ1A

There's some firesword on this video.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have any experience with converting a wooden bokken into a fire sword by covering it with aluminium tape and then kevlaring it? I have a bokken which I was thinking about converting into a fire sword and have seen the same process described in the link below:

https://fire.trickconcepts.com/tcf-008-07.htm

If anyone could enlighten me on this method it would be greatly appreciated smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Nah, wouldn't go for it (only personal preference)... Even though I have to admit I never tried this aluminum tape in connection with firetwirling... shrug

I get fireswords from steel for less (add my own kevlar).

Plus, Kevlar is kind of delicate (and not cheap), so I simply wouldn't advise the way they put it on the "blade".

But thanks for the inspirational linke biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I use hardwood Bokens for fire sword builds intended for full contact, and use metal flashing to protect the wooden core, two layers of kevlar attached to the metal flashing, while I tend to use authentic swords for conversion to fire swords for Ti chi fire sword display as the two tend to have different requirements.

To be honest I was extremely dubious about using Bokken based wooden cores for display fire sword combat sequences, but the design I use has passed my rather stringent safety abd fitness for purpose destructive testing.

mark

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Not questioning the quality of your fireswords, just voicing my concerns.

So far I was coming across a few good concepts - which failed, putting them into use - btdt.

Take collapsible staff for instance: The "concentrate" stuff is very nice, but too bouncy to use for anything contact - all the others have failed so far. Due to breakage, wobblyness or sand settling into the grooves. Many ppl sell firestaff with wooden plugs (not a solid core all the way) and tell all kinds of stories about how long they last, but these are fairytales (well intended ones maybe)... Out of my experience the wood will break (sooner or later) if not completely covered with 1.0-2.5mm aluminium tube ALL the way.

I've seen a few swords with wick wrapped around and I can't get the idea of hitting (burning) wick, with burning wick, as the wick deteriorates, and this usually fast. Same (I'd assume) might happen to the sleeve on your bokken.

Plus: Wood is more likely to break (in a nasty way) - IF it happens - steel is more likely to just bend.

I would love to see a bokken-fire-sword after one year of (frequent) use...

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
The essence here is display fire sword combat, rather than casual fire sword combat, most of the blocking out of moves and sparring is obviously done with regular bokens / swords / props etc, and yes with kevlar to kevlar at semi and or full contact there is a lifetime with re-sleeving and inspection of the core a routine part of prop maintanence, this is obsorbed into the cost per show.

mark

howdymonkeyBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Howdy folks, new to the thread.
The funkiest fire sword display I ever did saw involved double hook swords, wrapped in kevlar wick. Went from double sword to one long flail when hooked together mid-move. Eep.

Freakin' rad, if you aren't standing too close... devil

I like monkeys. Monkeys, apparently, like me also...

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: howdymonkey

Howdy folks, new to the thread.
The funkiest fire sword display I ever did saw involved double hook swords, wrapped in kevlar wick. Went from double sword to one long flail when hooked together mid-move. Eep.

Freakin' rad, if you aren't standing too close... devil

You were probably watching Bender ubblol

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

241 posts

Posted:
Actually, that's a pretty common move for tigerhooks.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
That is a very good subject...

Guess all remember the scene from Star Wars, where a staff gets "converted" intwo "swords"...

I am breaking my head on "how to"?

Point is a lasting solution - or am I just stuck in stereotypes? Should I just get over the idea and make one that I throw away after each performance?

So far - IMO - the only option of detachable staff was this:

Non-Https Image Link

Easy and fast to detach, no screw action and the wobblyness is within reason. Anyone got a better idea?

Bit off, but it's a segment of "making your own (double)firesword that look like staff at first sight".... -ish rolleyes

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Almost offtopic

My Firesword - note that edge

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, linky no worky tom smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
no(w) it is... biggrin

thankx

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Ordering kevlar tonight - planning on making swordses soon smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
I found a slightly damaged katana for seven euro fifty and just used steel wire to sew kevlar onto the blade and to the hilt.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Wooktastic

I found a slightly damaged katana for seven euro fifty and just used steel wire to sew kevlar onto the blade and to the hilt.

.... I envy your treasure finding skills! biggrin

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yupp, sinding that ditto

U can also use some Kevlar thread in addidition. I used both on mine and was careful in not having the wire surface the wick (can result in some wicked scratches)

Let us know how it progresses smile

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
What can I say? I'm a good scavenger. Also found a nice wheelchair in a skip.
Is the danger of scratching that high? I might wrap some more wicking around the wire then.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

241 posts

Posted:
My latest endeavour:

Non-Https Image Link

I give you... Ba Jaam Dao, Or Wing Tsun Butterfly Sabers. Construction is 6062 aircraft grade aluminum, 1/8 inch thick, with 5052 aluminum knuckleguard, 1/4 inch thick. The tang is exposed here, but when they're done they'll have a wooden handle covered in leather. The wick will run down the spine of the blade, and stop 2 inches from the guard. I have found that this is an acceptable distance from the hand, and the heat is tolerable for someone like me.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hug
 Written by: FtR

and the heat is tolerable for someone like me

ubblol

devil I know where you're from wink

[serious] they look very nice... thanks for posting smile

241 posts

Posted:
Thanks. I'm fortunate enough to work in a sheet metal shop, so I can get things welded if I need them. It's also nice to have access to the hydraulic shear, grinders, and scrap bins.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FTR

Construction is 6062 aircraft grade aluminum

I feel envy bubbling up... you get that stuff at the shop around the corner? umm

241 posts

Posted:
Got it from the scrap bin at my work, actually. The shop I work at is an aerospace parts manufacturer.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
u lucky devil!! props to u.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: