Forums > Other Toys > Yet another contact juggling thread.

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I was doing some contact the other day when this old lady asked me how the ball sticks to my hand.

I love it when that happens ubblove

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
yeay,i'm getting somewhere!

i can do the butterfly thingy with my right hand. Its not perfect but its not bad seeing as i've only been doing it a few hours and i'm generally not very coordinated.

My left hand is useless which i don't really understand seeing as although i'm righthanded, i can write well with my left hand and had no problems with it when learning poi/staff. stupid hand.

its so much fun!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
LTC- Still trying to just smooth out the end of the butterfly. Keep on trying to slow it down, to get more control. Doing it quick is easy, but when I try to slow it down I tend to lose it from time to time at the end. Just need more practise (as always!) rolleyes
Only reason I've been practising chestrolls is just I've found it pays to practise different things as early as possible, even a little bit, so that when you do try it out, it doesn't feel quite so wierd.

As a starter move, quite a basic 2 handed isolation; hold your hands flat in front of you in the wall plane with the palms facing you, one vertically above the other. The CJ ball should be held initially betwen the underside of the little finger of the top hand and the topside of the index finger. Then move your hands around the ball to isolate, always keeping contact on opposite sides of the ball.

If you move the bottom hand to the top in a leap frogging pattern you can make the ball 'flow' up, and top hand to bottom to make it flow down. It's not that advanced a move but it is quite fun to play with when you're first learning as it's not too hard to get the hang of.

rolleyes explaining moves takes so much wordage! Hope that all made sense! ubbangel

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"Oi - does my workshop at Falmouth not count?"

For shame redface
Of course your workshop counts Durbs, but that was the first time I ever tried CJ... I didn't start really practising it til last wednesday biggrin So, if you want, you stole my CJ virginity tongue

Loves the circus: I can roll it from my right hand up my arm, across my chest and down to my left hand... but it doesn't always work. I can get it from the left hand to my shoulder, but then it falls off. However, I can see the potential is there.

Other things I am practising badly:
Right handed butterfly, transfering to left handed butterfly
The 'roll the ball in a circle between your hands, in either direction' move - with hands forming a kindof cup-type shape.
The isolation-esque keeping ball between your fingers - but mine's still moving about a bit too much.
And the Durbsian 'hold ball on top of fist sliding palm of hand inbetween ball and fist and forming another fist (confused)' move.

Getting to the other side smile

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Lazy angel - you mean a sort of 'cigar box' isolation, right? I do those when playing with enigmas. With your arm rolls, try going backwards. hold the ball in your cradle, take it underneath your other arm towards the elbow and pitch the ball straight up and bring your elbow underneath the ball so that it can roll down your arm and into another cradle hold. You can isolate this as well, or even just stall/catch it on your elbow. Why stop at your cradle? let the ball carry on rolling up to your other elbow... stall it there, or catch it from there in another cradle, or send it back... you see where I'm going with this... play around, see what you can do. If you think something's possible, chances are, it is. Just takes practice.

Firepoise - I think you mean what I've heard called 'greg's grip' or 'squeeze ups'. When the ball is on one fist, bring the other hand in as if you were doing a Karate chop. Stop just as your little finger touches the ball. now you want to push the ball onto your open hand at the bottom of the little finger, and when the ball is here, you take away the fist that it was standing on, and roll the ball up your fingers as you make a fist with your open hand. A tip for this is to close each finger in individually starting at the pinky. Start of REALLY slow, step-by-step, until you are able to speed it up. This move is also a great way of moving the ball skywards. it gives the impression that the ball is too slippery to hold, or is floating up on its own.

Durbs (or anyone else for that matter) if you want to correct me anywhere, or give advice PLEASE feel free to.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
* looks at all these tricks in confusion *

I have a long way to go -_-

Come on Starry, we can be noobs together *links arms*

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ltc- 'cigar box isolation'? confused i dunno mate i just tried to describe it - if that's what it sounds like then that must be what it is! My mate had a go with my cj ball and started doing that almost straight off, so i just picked it up off him. Just wish I could stop dropping the damn ball: I wince every time! *thinks: natural reaction for ball-bashing* eek

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
lazyangel - i think ltc is referring to this kind of thing:

ryan playing with boxes and balls

i stood and stared at alex and ryan for extended periods of time last night ubblove

think i might as well give up now... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i'm confused too docktorskell!

we'll understand them one day...i hope!

at least my left hand is starting to behave. If only i could find some pliers to cut my bracelet off so that i can try rolling it up my arm!

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Written by: starpoi

i'm confused too docktorskell!

we'll understand them one day...i hope!

at least my left hand is starting to behave. If only i could find some pliers to cut my bracelet off so that i can try rolling it up my arm!

I have since abandoned all my jewellry when i started contact. rings and bracelets are just no good.

when you can, really practise arm rolls. its really great when you roll it up to your shoulder for the first time.

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
if only i hadn't crimped the damn bracelet round my arm!
I still can't find any pliers, i think i'm going to have to chew it off.

up to my shoulder!!?!? i'll be lucky if it gets past my wrist!!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
starpoi - could do some wicked wrist stalls with that tho, surely?

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Written by: starpoi

if only i hadn't crimped the damn bracelet round my arm!
I still can't find any pliers, i think i'm going to have to chew it off.

up to my shoulder!!?!? i'll be lucky if it gets past my wrist!!

With practise you can roll the ball all the way up your arm and stall it on your coller bone. its difficuilt with small balls though.

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I Keep an acryllic at my desk at work. Am i naughty?

Nah, its good stress relief and my boss thinks contact juggling is very impressive indeed.

I am afraid of doing anything technical though. I can just imagine it flying off somewhere and breaking something expensive

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
That's exactly what I meant Cole. I'm not sure on the proper name for them, but I likened to that video of Ryan with the cigar boxes. I was playing around with the same thing at my juggling club the other week...

I too keep an acrylic (well, two) at my desk when I'm at work. Two ball palmspinning is so relaxing during a stressful day at work...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

So, if you want, you stole my CJ virginity tongue

*Ticks another box * wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
tongue

ubblol

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:

Loves the circus: I can roll it from my right hand up my arm, across my chest and down to my left hand... but it doesn't always work. I can get it from the left hand to my shoulder, but then it falls off. However, I can see the potential is there.

How are you doing this chest roll? are you starting from your cradle or palm? Starting from the palm, There's not really much I can say other than lean right back, and practise.

I prefer to start from the cradle. You want to start rolling the ball down your arm from the cradle, and as it gets to your elbow, you want to twist your wrist so that your thumb is pointing towards the ground. This will let the ball carry on up your arm instead of falling off your elbow. This is also the point you will want to lean back. When the ball gets to the shoulder, I like to give it an extra nudge across my chest with my shoulder. For the rest of the move, you can just let gravity do its work. It's best to have your arms forming a sort of circular shape. This will assist the catching of the ball no end.

Have fun!! ubbloco

Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ohhh.

I have been doing it from palm to palm... but going from the cradle sounds like an interesting idea... I shall go practice biggrin

Thanks hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Palm to palm feels slightly easier as you have more control on the underside of your forearm as it's a bit flatter, however when the ball gets to the bicep, you'll find you'll have to twist your arm more to get the ball to turn enough to go across your chest, likewise coming down.

From the cradle, the forearms trickier because of the shape (but back arm rolls are a good thing to practise anyway) however your arm forms more of a natural curve for the ball and you only need to give it a slight *nudge* with your shoulder to turn it onto your chest.

*Goes for a lie down - all this talk of Firepoise's chest is getting to him* wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hahahahaha. rolleyes

Hmmm. Am having difficulties getting from cradle to forearm smile. It keeps rolling off my hand. From palm is much easier, but less controlled... however, sometimes it accidentally stops on my shoulder... which would be cool if I intended to do it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep - that's the tricky bit which is worth learning smile

This is where acylics come in useful as their weight means you can almost push through the ball as opposed to rolling it up your arm (although in truth it's about 50/50)
The only tip is "practise, practise, practise" and your arm will just learn the way it has to lie for the ball to run smoothly up it, and ways to compensate if it goes of track smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah yes. Practise. I knew I was forgetting something smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
go on firepoise!!!!

yay for multi talented people smile

hug

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol. I only started last week... I wouldn't exactly say 'talented'

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, well... I learnt something new and exciting last night...

Lesson 1: The pain that comes from dropping a small acrylic ball on your ankle bone is perhaps one of the most excruciating pains you can experience (as a female). It is almost a unique and pure pain that makes you catch your breath.

Lesson 2: No matter how many cushions you put around you in a neat little circle, your small acrylic ball WILL find the tiny hole between them and roll through it... contacting with the brickwork of the fireplace and scratching it.

Hmpf.

biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Lesson 3: no matter how careful they are, your small little acrylic ball that you lent your niece will find a way of falling off her palm and chipping the newly painted skirtingboard in her mothers house (oops!)

hug <-----ouchy ankles need hugs better

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
lesson 4: small acrylic balls, when falling through the air will automatically gravitate towards anything:
a)expensive
b)breakable
c)sensitive
d)likely to scratch the ball as well

hug for the acrylic casualties!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
and e) spillable
Like cups of tea, they're very good at hitting cups of tea

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

The Fellowship of the Acrylic Ball.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:

Lesson 2: No matter how many cushions you put around you in a neat little circle, your small acrylic ball WILL find the tiny hole between them and roll through it... contacting with the brickwork of the fireplace and scratching it.

Hmpf.

biggrin

i sit in my hula hoop when i'm practicing - i might look very silly but a least the ball stays close and away from chipping hazards!! ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

whats the next thing people would recommend learning after the butterfly? I've been practicing different variations of it for a week now and although i'm not perfect at it, it would be lovely if someone could point me in the general direction of some of the simpler moves that i can have a go at.

Page: ...