Forums > Other Toys > Yet another contact juggling thread.

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I was doing some contact the other day when this old lady asked me how the ball sticks to my hand.

I love it when that happens ubblove

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
At first yes - but this is just a useful tranfer to keep the flow of a routine going. However, once you get comfident and indeed competent this move looks good in its own right with especially when you mix it up. For example:

1] Palm spin two balls in each hand
2] Throw one ball and catch it on the the back of the opposing hand
3] Move the one-ball hand so that it is directly under the ball closest to the wrist on the three ball hand
4] Drop wrist ball onto the back of the one ball hand
5] At this point you can:
i] butterfly in the way that it was done with the three ball stack
ii] butterfly the balls on the back of the hands simultaneously and go back to palm spinning
iii] go once through the stack and before dropping the wrist ball butterfly the back of hand ball on the three ball hand so that all three end up in the palm so some palm spinning whilst you go into some one ball stuff with your other hand.
iv] when you get to a point where there are two balls in each hand butterfly on ball so that one hand has two ball palm spinning going on and with your other hand through both balls so that the back of hand ball ball ends up being the palm ball and vice verser. From this go on to release the balls under the palm spinning arm and catch over the palm spinning arm.

Hope this makes sence!
hug

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Hellos again...

Well, I've been practicing lots, but I'm still not very good... This is ok, as I didn't expect to be biggrin

Bad news from this weekend: I lost my glow-in-the-dark stage ball. Whimper. It was my 4" practice ball and the one I was learning stuff with. Dammit, dammit. ubbcrying
They don't sell them in Belfast and I can't replace it... soooo, I was wondering - is anyone willing to buy a good practice ball for me... I can give you the money in Uber/Falmouth?!! :beggingsmiley:

Anyways, good news from this weekend: I met a lovely performing couple from Edinburgh - Eunan and Veronique. Eunan is quite stunning at CJ and he explained lots of interesting things... Such as how you have to think about the ball travelling along every muscle... isolating it's path, almost... and how stopping a ball somewhere on your body (like your elbow), requires muscle memory practice - and feeling for the best place.

Meurgh. Ok, he explained it much better biggrin

Anyways, it's helped lots. And has also made me realise just how much work and repetitive practice is required rolleyes

But tis all good... I'm still loving it biggrin biggrin biggrin

See you all soon
hug

Getting to the other side smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Clare - I can pick up a 100mm one if you like, or you can actually just have my one as I never use it any more... Too light smile

I'll bring it to Falmouth anyway - but you're more than welcome to it smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Incidentally - why aren't you practising with 80/100mm metal balls? (Which I know you can get wink )
The weight makes many things much easier (although the 100mm might be a bit too weighty at first)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
So you got the shiny ball then Mr Durbs?!

Glad to hear it biggrin

And as for ball transfers... that would be fantastic and i can give you money for it... maybe the ball will know what to do already and I won't need all this muscle-memory silliness?! smile

Regarding the metal balls... lol, they're a wee bit heavy for learning new things.
I liked my glow one to figure out where the ball was supposed to go - then I used the heavier ones to get it right (although, I don't think I have anything right yet).

Hmmm. Actually, you're right... I should just stick to the metal rolleyes

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
But rubber balls have the advantages that:
you can catch them on the first bounce
they don't break as many things as acrylic or metal (toes/ankles included)
the glow in the dark ones... well they glow in the dark and that's cool! biggrin

I'm currently loving the 4" 'heavy' glow in the dark stage ball I bought from oddballs. And I don't wince every time I drop it on my nice wooden floor! smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. They look nice... but I don't have time to buy one online and have it arrive before I leave for Edinburgh/Falmouth.

Maybe when I get back.

Thanks though
smile

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
problem with bonce balls is that they are hard to use for multiball stuff.

>I'm optimistic.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I think the metal ones are great for learning on, unless it's things like head catches...

For some reason, they seem to move a lot slower than acrylic ones do, but still faster than those light dube stage balls... The ball you have Guy is really nice for a stage ball. I've used Will's one, and it was a very nice weight. Good for learning the body rolls with as it has a nice bit of grip to it, but not too much that's it's complete cheating.

If someone can pick me up a 100mm metal ball and bring with them to falmouth, I would be very appreciative, and glad to reimburse them!! What are they, like £3?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Errr.

I know I'm going to regret this since I have a very long way to travel with it... but I bought an extra 100mm metal ball today, so I'll bring it to Falmouth for you.

You can shower me with appreciation and smiles and new funky tricks when I arrive biggrin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Clare: As I live down the road from oddballs in Camden I can bring 'heavy' stage balls to Falmouth. The normal coloured ones are about £6.50, the glow in the dark ones are about £9.

If anyone else wants one let me know.....

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I am having realy trouble with CJ, the main reason being my super weak hands and wrists.

The ball i have is 160g 4" (i think!) and i am finding it wayyyy to heavy. I can literally practive for 5-10mins before i'm in lots of pain. I am determined not to give up because i really really want to do it so pretty please could someone lovely give me some advice! biggrin

what is the lightest ball that its possible to learn with?
I also have quite small hands so is a smaller ball ok too?

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Warm up and warm down exercises - simple as that. Check out the hand and wrist exercises used for treating RSI and spend 2 minutes before and after each contact session. Always remember that technique comes first and then strength comes later. If a 160g ball is too heavy use a lighter ball until your technique can handle a heavier ball. Once the tricks are sunk then start building up strength.

>I'm optimistic.

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
What Gelfling says is true, go for technique first.
Maybe you can buy a 4" stageball. It will be way lighter but will have the same size.

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I had that trouble in the beginning too. I still have it when trying to palmspin three or four balls continuously for about 15 minutes.

I normally just persevere, knowing that next time I'l be able to last longer wink or just swap hands and give that one a rest. I have a really light stage ball going spare. Are you going to falmouth? you are, aren't you? I'm sure I could part with it...

Firepoise: Thankyou very much!! You shall indeed be showered with appreciation, smiles, hugs and lots of teachings for lugging it all over the place for me. Most highly appreciated!!

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice everyone biggrin unfortunately my arms are not just girly weak, they are sickly weak so I'm finding it superly difficult! I will still persevere though, i really want to be able to do this!

Thanks so much for the offer of a light stage ball LTC, i will be at falmouth and i would be happy to give you a few quid for it biggrin

falmouth biggrin bounce biggrin bounce2 biggrin only a week to go biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep bounce indeed.

Clare - You can have my ball, as I said, I don't use it anymore, and it's nice to know a ball's going to a nice home smile

People might want to make sure they have beach and sun proof balls by the way - Acrylics aren't sand friendly and are annoying to have in the sun too smile
Even metal ones get a bit scratched up on the sand, but not too badly (or certainly not as bad as dropping it on a big rock as I discovered in Italy...)
Or just you never drop it wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I be getting lots of metal balls at falmouth, so I'm covered there... And I have a stage ball or two... Or could just 'steal' yours...

Dropping contact balls? Wassat? wink

Besides, who cares about scratching a £3 ball? When I'm back in Hull, I'll be able to get a plentiful supply, now that I know the stores opened...

Be Water My Friend.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
hang on... you can get metal balls for £3?

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
My metal ball was a quid from the poundshop no less but it is off round and has a little hole but i dont mind if I drop it on anything

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: LazyAngel

hang on... you can get metal balls for £3?

Yes, you can. A big 100mm metal ball.

Not sold as a contact ball, mind, but they're really good to use!! They come in 60mm, 80mm, and 100mm, prices are 1,2, and £3 respectively. They come from Au natural home furnishing/deco stores.

I'll be getting mine at falmouth biggrin

Be Water My Friend.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
is it too late to ask someone to bring down a 100mm ball for me as I have no au natural stores anywhere near me?

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Any chance of x6 80mm balls? :cheeky smiley:

>I'm optimistic.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i'll be delivering 2x 80mm and 4x 60mm to eddy at falmouth, u could always ask him for some but i doubt he'll agree

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
£8 coming your way, Pyrowilliam.

I doubt I'll part with any of them... I need the four for palmspinning, the two for everyday stuff, and I believe Clare said that she would be really nice and lug a 100mm all over the country for me!!

I'm also getting some new poi, courtesy of Rossco... Must send him a PM actually, make sure he hasn't forgotton...

Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin Your ball is currently in Bristol mister... will be in falmouth tomorrow biggrin

And Durbs, thank you muchly hug kiss

nusku42Member
19 posts

Posted:
What about using pool balls to learn cj with.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
bit too small for a lot of things...

Be Water My Friend.

nusku42Member
19 posts

Posted:
a friend says he is learning with lacrosse balls or anything else thats cheap that someone can suggest

sillyboy561BRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
ive got those swiss stage balls on this site, i use em for regular juggling... just started about 5 months ago, but i got stains on them! does anyone know what i can use to clean them? or do u know what material the ball is made of so i can look up what to use to clean it? thanks
EDITED_BY: sillyboy561 (1122078581)

Page: ...