Page:
FireDollJamienewbie
14 posts

Posted:
Hey,

I've had a friends aluminum 5' staff for a few years and done ok with it, but the center joint is not good, requires duct tape to attach, and is a little light for my tastes. Would like to buy one that's a little heavier and made from better materials.

Seeing a lot of people talk about having got new staffs, or made new staffs, but nothing as to where they are getting 'em from. If you have web links for places that people are making / buying their staffs could you post 'em here?

Ottawa is rather lacking in places to support my learning to spin.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
yey. I make the pook sticks these day cos Rob is too busy smile

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Hey, are palm spins and fish tails at all possible with the HOP three piece innercores? I'm so close to getting one, but the sculpted grip keeps throwing me-- I just can't imagine what that feels like. But such a beautiful looking staff, (and the only way I can think to get over 1 meter without getting killed on shipping to the us.)

I wonder if you can carve that sucker down?
linda

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Got the innercore today. I love the grip! Not at all what I expected, can still do fish tails, palm spins and fingertwirling, and it keeps me centered on the staff better than I've ever been. A thing of beauty indeed.

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know the best place to buy aluminum piping...

Let me be more specific... for the last three years the leader of my troupe would buy us materials to make our toys. He left and we have no way of contacting him, but we know he visited a local metal yard.

here are the specific of what we have been suing in the past, and we really, really like:

Schedule 10 1/2" (inner diameter) rigid aluminum conduit

The schedule 10 relates to the wall thickness. It is a .083 wall thickness.

All I can find anywhere online, after much, much searching, is schedule 40 rigid aluminum conduit with a 1/2" inner diamter. that is a wall thickness of .114 i think. And that makes a huge difference... we bought a lot of it and we used it to make our staves because we didnt have much of a choice, but it is thicker and heavier to spin. It is amazingly diferent with a 5 foot staff between the two different wall thickness.

SO - Aluminum - inner diameter of 1/2" - wall thickness of 0.083"

Any help? I have searched so long and hard and found sites that list all of the technical specs for it, weight per foot, etc, but do not actually sell it. I work in a carpentry shop, and my master carpenter does not know anywhere to buy it either.

If anyone else has a better material used to amke lightweight, durable staves, let me know. this is what we have found to be the best though, but i think it was more on the lines of once the group got something that worked really well, there wasnt alot of experimentation. a few dancers back in the day spun with pretty thick wooden staves, but that isnt the style any of us are looking for... and besides, we know where to buy wooden dowels if we do!

Thanks
FO

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Do what I did,

ask a load of plumbers, fitters etc. Chances are one of em will point you in the right direction.

best of luck

a

Love is the law.

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
FO-
I'm in the US and having the same problem, only the conduit I'm finding is all galvanized steel and very heavy. I found something that's lighter and looks like it might be aluminum in the outdoor fencing section of Lowes, I don't recall what the thicknesses were, but I'm going to start looking in garden centers instead.

Plumbers here I don't think use aluminum, mostly copper and black pipe and pvc.
linda

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
yeah most plumbers use copper.

galvanized steel is the "in" thing, i am telling you. its everywhere. i can personally attest that you want 1/2" aluminum conduit, and schedule 10 (0.083) is a great wall thickness but schedule 40 (0.114?) is useable/. my staff right now is schedule 40 cause someone stole my other one and i cant find schedule 10.

supposedly a member of my troupe has found an online site that sells "any" aluminum you want, but he has yet to forward me the address. i will post when he does.

NOTE - conduit is measure by the inner dimensions, but sometimes piping/pipes are measured by the outer dimensions. you want the inner dimensions to be 1/2", make sure of that, no matter how it is labeled.........

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
I FIGURED IT OUT. But I have another question.
First off - the difference between pipe and tubing - Pipe is specified by a nominal dimension which bears little or no resemblance to the actual dimensions of the pipe. 1" Schedule 40 pipe, for instance, has an actual OD (outer diameter) of 1.32", a wall of 0.133", and an inner diameter of 1.049". Tube dimensions are actual dimensions, and is measured by it's OD.

What my troupe used for the longest time has been 3/4" TUBING with a .083 wall, which can be bough here: https://www.onlinemetals.com
for about $12 for a 5 foot piece, before s/h. This works great, it is light enough to spin really quickly and heavy enough to do body rolls.

This year, because we did not find that site until recently, we bought 1/2" schedule 40 pipe, which is wider and heavier than what we're used to. this also does the job, and it is cheaper, we bought it for 1.35 a foot. it is nice if you like your staves a little heavier, but if you want speed, go with the lighter.

Here is my question: I found a site that sells 3/4" tubing with a wall of .050 for really cheap - $5.82 for a 6 foot piece. But is this too thin? The s/h to me, in Massachusetts US, is $25, but it is the same price for s/h for 1 - 30 orders. so it sint worth it to buy just one piece, but i want to tst it so i dont want to have to buy a whole lot. how strong is the .050 wall? i know with the .083 wall it was pretty damn strong... they fell all the time, and didnt ever get warped. they warped if you stepped on em or if you used them for fight chorepgraphy, but even then there were not that bad they were still very spinnable, and only noticeabl to the expert... you could tell if you rolled em on the ground... but they really worked fine. but i am worried about the .050... does anyone have any advice or experience with which to guide me?????

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
i forgot to add that ideally i would like to place an order before noon tomorrow (thats 22 hours from now) so the order will come in before i leave uni and go home for the summer, so i can buy in bulk and split the shipping costs with friends, so the sooner advice rolls in the better it would be... THANKS!

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Hmm, as you know, I have no experience with which to answer this question.... but thanks for that link!! Just what I was looking for.
linda

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
dunno if this is any help to you but i have one of mech's staffs ((made by him i didnt pinch one of his)) i absolutly love it a lot of people comment on its weight depends what ya wanna use really but am getting a second one i like it so much. only problem youll find possibly is getting it posted from uk or any uk place

Tell me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Involve me and I understand

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
well my troupe has been making staves for 5 years, and i relly like the quality of em, but that means going with the 3/4" aluminum tubing with the .083 wall, which is not as cheap as the .050 wall, thats it. talking to some other folks, though, i think the .050 wall would not be stong enough, unfortunately.

we add 4 inches of wick to either end, then wrap the center with medical foam, which sticks to itself but isnt all that strong, then wrap over that with white meidcal tape, which gives us a great grip as well as just a little bit of padding but not enough to prevent perfectly smooth body wraps and rolls, and then customize them with electrical and/or gaffers tape for different colors, etc...

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: bonzai

redface

but i WILL come and make some foolish hoop sticks... meg? ya busy next week?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: bonzai

redface

but i WILL come and make some foolish hoop sticks... meg? ya busy next week?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
oh will you now? smile

the hoop revolution is nigh - wiggle my friends wiggle biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
mwargh? When is next week? Is that the tail end of this week, or next week proper?

Cos, no, I will not be busy... I will be making stuff = yay! biggrin

do you have any of that phat irrigation pipe? I wanna play with that...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
somebody better put a hoop video up after all this talk...

Page: