Forums > Help! > My Bluetooth Blues

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Hey,
ummm... im having trouble installing a bluetooth dongler on to my laptop... I trid it on my dads desktop, and it works fine, but when i try it on my obselete hunk-a-junk, it doesnt work...
i need the bluetooth to connect my camera phone (sony ericsson) to it so i can upload pics from it... but it doesnt work...

the installl file runs ok... then it comes up with a box saying that it doesnt have a windos approval thing.. (same thing happened on my dads, but it worked fine) so i clicked continue, and it installs fine... then i restart the laptop and try and run the "my bluetooth places" and it comes up with a box saying "configure bluetooth" where it sks me to name my computer, and tell it it was a laptop... click next and after ten mins, another box comes up, i press next and it freezes... i restart the computer, and try again... nothing...

can any one help me?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well need some more info here. What OS are you using? XP, 2000? If it's XP, do you have SP2 installed?

What is the make of the dongle? Try going to the manufacturers website and downloading the latest drivers for it.

Also, if it's 2000 or XP you can look in Control Panel\Administrative Tools and find the event viewer. Look for some events at about the time it rebooted and post what it says here.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

10,530 posts

Posted:
im on xp pro... *cough*crap*cough*
heres the site i got the dongle off...
Ding Dongle

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Ok, you'll need to try a few drivers then:

https://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php

or

https://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?download=F8T003_v2&lang=1&mode=

should have something you can use.

You didn't say if you had SP2 or what the event viewer said....

I _love_ the way that sites got a new iBook on it showing off the dongle when the iBooks have bluetooth built in anyway rolleyes

10,530 posts

Posted:
oh..um i think i have SP2, from automatic updates... yes? I cant remember... ill have to check when i et back to school... thats where i can get internet for the laptop...

ill come back to you on everything in a coupla hours, cheers for the excellenty help hug

Written by: sym

I _love_ the way that sites got a new iBook on it showing off the dongle when the iBooks have bluetooth built in anyway

Yeah, its very reassuring, aint it? ubblol
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1113747171)

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
thou shalt get urself nokia phones with free usb cables...

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

10,530 posts

Posted:
yeah, but the sony ericsson just looks so much cooler than nokia...
and all my phones were nokias so i felt like a change shrug

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by: Konsti

thou shalt get urself nokia phones with free usb cables...

ubblol yeah, and 2 cans and some string wouldn't hurt either, in fact lets just go back morse code, now THERES a fail safe technology! wink

FRD, when you get it working you should download floAt's Mobile Agent from https://fma.sourceforge.net/.
It's about the best PC BT software i've found.

10,530 posts

Posted:
kay, so i dont have SP2, and im downloading it at the mo....

anything else need doing?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well, sould help once it's set up. Have you been to those sites and trid the different drivers?

10,530 posts

Posted:
nope, cos ive uninstalled it and am going to try it once i get SP2 installed...

erm, im actually having toruble downloading SP2, cos i dont get the website... when i go to the windows website for it, theres no link to download it... how do? Im very confued confused

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You should be able to go along to https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
and download it. You'll need to use IE though as Ms don't like other browsers.

10,530 posts

Posted:
yeah i tried that...
school firewall blocks it (that makes a lot of sense rolleyes ) so a friend is giving me the install file through my ipod..

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Great, SP2 is worth installing anyway even if it doesn't celp the BT problem. Let me know how you get on after that!

10,530 posts

Posted:
oh man, it takes so long to install...

10,530 posts

Posted:
kay its installed, and im about to reinstall the software... none of those drivers worked... banned by websense.. angry

10,530 posts

Posted:
kay, so its working, and ive connected my phone... now it keeps dissapearing *bangs head against keyboard*

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
That might be a problem with the phone settings. Have you paired the phone with the PC? What SE phone do you have? I've had 2 SE phones and if was very different on both, but look around the menus and try to pair it. If you manage that, try checking about for auto timeout settings etc, and change the bluetooth to 'always on' rather than auto.

Tell me what the phone is and I might be able to help more.

10,530 posts

Posted:
its a T630... the phone detects the computer, and the computer detects the phone, and they connect fine, passkey and all.... but the n it just dissappears... like it never happened....

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Right,

Have you trid the phone on someone elses BT? If you know someone with a Mac ask them if you can try it out. I doubt it's the phone, but you never know. What software are you using to connect from the PC? Windows? or something from the dongle CD? Try the FMA link I sent and connect with that, it might help. Also, download the "Mobile Phone Monitor" from the SE site (under support > drivers I think) Get the latest version even if you have it installed.

I'll try to think of some more things to try...

10,530 posts

Posted:
i got a sony ericsson disk with the phone which i installed that should have everything i need...

im using software from the disk for connection...

noone else here has bluetooth... just me...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Download the software from the internet anyway, it's always best to work with the latest verson.

10,530 posts

Posted:
FMA doesnt work, or rather the index works, but the download section page cannot be displayed...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
How odd, Can you access:
https://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fma/fma-2.0-stable-setup.exe?download
?

10,530 posts

Posted:
yes...
i guess i shud be useing the closest mirror?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
It shouldn't matter too much, but yes, I do.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
nokia 6630

see if you get nokia you get a little docking thing so you can charge, make video calls, and transfer data.....

hmmmm.....nokia..... biggrin wink

have they brought out any update for sp2?

at first it wouldnt let me connect my phone at all, even over usb or ir....

i deinstalled it and it worked fine....

strange....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yes, and if you use bluetooth you can send and get text and phone calls without even touching the phone, as well as use it as a remote for your computer to play music and video as well as do other things like control powerpoint etc.

The cable doesn't do much more other than charge it.

10,530 posts

Posted:
ummm... the install file is currently "downloading additional files"... all very well and good... but i have a sneeking feeling that my school firewall is blocking the information angry

10,530 posts

Posted:
yup... error message comes up saying "error sending request. The opertaion timed out"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What files are these? The SE ones?

Page: