KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Just had my first burn today. (April 16 2005, 8:07 PM) It was the most exhilarating thing I've ever done in my life. I burned for the first time with my friend Burning Bengal and I was accompanied by Fire Taiger (His third time) and I can't wait to do it again. I think after this I'll be going into poi even more enthusiastically than before. On a side note, a person gave us a twenty dollar bill for our performance so we can therefore claim to be professional fire performers now...As somewhat of a joke, of course. weavesmiley

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
that's awesome, congrats! i was going to have mine this weekend, but my wicks still havne't arrived .:grumble:.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
That's exicting... I had my first poi spin the other day...and I spend just about all of the routine running away from them (while they were still in my hands). I've always been a staffer...I couldn't do poi if my life depended on it.

But yes, congratulations and well done about the $20!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

drakematrixSILVER Member
Maker of the Cheesecake
174 posts

Posted:
well, I've got my order for fire stuff set up, but I'm not allowing myself to actually place the order until my thesis is done. Because I know full well that if I order them before it's finished, it never will be...

What exactly do I have to light on fire to get you to notice me?

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I've got mine on order now. Still not sure what fuel to use. confused2

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Kerosene smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Hairy TaitBRONZE Member
109 posts

Posted:
Well Don't use Petrol anyway..... That would be foolish....... weavesmiley wink

Keep at it though...It's the business....wouldn't you agree......??

It's a very interesting story, Future Boy....!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
oh the memories of the first burn ubblove ubblove
Congrats you are addicted now, hehehehe
*Waits impatiently for it to get dark so can go play with fire (Too many kids in the street during the day), hmmmmmm just under 11 hours to go frown hug hug hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
Well done, my first burn was long time ago, never loses its novelty you will find. Good luck and happy spinning.
I too am waiting for it to get dark for a burn, got me some boric acid, green fire yaaay, and extra wicking for afterwoods i hear that it does damage to your wicking.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
first burn, i remember there were flames. go figure..........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
*Runs round to FireBug24's* I wanna play hehehehe

yeah i have always been told that its best to have a different wick for each substance you use

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I cant rember my first burn... *thinks* there have been so many *sigh* I think it was when my mum moved into her new house.. or maybe it was down in cormwall on the beach in polzeath... shrug my memory isnt great...

about fuel... ive always used barbecue lighting fluid... good or bad?
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1113748717)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i had my first burn in over six months yesterday and it felt like the first time (does that count?!?)

so much fun

and i had my first burn on a staff to... even more fun

even the copper chopper hovered over us for a while to watch!!

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the responses (and so quick too...) I made my poi myself and they worked fine. Of course, I also took all necessary safety precautions. Poi ingrediants: Dog chain cut to the right length, hand towel and bailing wire wrapped around an eyebolt set at end of chain. Kerosene for fuel. Good burnings.

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

Fire Taigermember
105 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to add that i was there. Much Fun! and burning bengal (bb) hit him self in the balls with a lit poi, OUCH. any way it was fun as hell, it was my third burn and it just keeps getting better. and we really did make the poi out of dog chain, eyebolts, towel, and bailing wire. it works suprisingly well. they don't last as long as kevlar wicks i'm sure, granted i have yet to try, but it works when you can't afford a kevlar wick or just can't wait for them to arrive or what ever. weavesmiley meditate relaxing

The quest for poi perfection may bring much enlightenment...
and burns
OOUUUUCCCHHHHIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
When I read the title I thought you meant you'd burnt yourself! wink wink
Arr the first burn!, a year later and I'm still as terrified of them as I was then, IF NOT MORE!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
In my opinion, the terror of the burn is what makes it that much more enjoyable! The rush of it all is like nothing else.

Burning_Bengalnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
saturday was the most exciting thing i have ever done, the rush of the burning poi past my head, the sound of the fire, the heat of the fire as it hits my balls >.< that hurt so much, but after I kept on going till my poi went out. I am so addictied to poi now, I doubt I will ever be able to stop weavesmiley

burning thingys is fun, and exciting

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: roarfire

Kerosene smile

Wait til you try D60 wink devil

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
What is D60?

Red HotMember
25 posts

Posted:
Hi all. I remember my first burn. I lurned to fire breath pissed as a fart. The guy who tought me branded me as a right of passage or somethin. Still got it now on my chest.

Fire breather turned spinner

Fire Taigermember
105 posts

Posted:
yeah, what is d60 confused2

The quest for poi perfection may bring much enlightenment...
and burns
OOUUUUCCCHHHHIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
Oooooh... Accellerants! ubbloco

Tell us 'bout D60!!

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.