Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Did I come up with something new?

Login/Join to Participate

88Jack88newbie
21 posts

Posted:
I came up with this trying to make spiral shapes with fire. The idea is to have a butterfly (using your middle index and or ring fingers) then extend your top finger whilst pulling back your middle fingers (think gun shaped) causeing the poi to wrap around that finger, the poi start to spiral inwards. When they get close to your hands and begin to travel towards te ground, sort of flick your wrists/top finger, so the chain comes of your finger and the poi return to the outer most point on the spiral.

I hope that's clear from my description, makes pretty spiral patterns. I haven't seen anything else like this on the site since last time I was here (under the name "Jackal").

This can also be reversed, and done in a number of different planes.

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
IMO it sounds like a one handed spiral. I don't know about the people using sock or fire poi, but those of use who use glowsticks have been doing this for a while.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I tend to jam my whole hand into the chain, and then let it wrap and spiral out in the opposite direction. Not very new I'm afraid. Cool though.

"Take that, math!"

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I like the idea, a wrap you just shake off rather than unwrap, and if it ever stops raining, I'll give it a try with poi and glowsticks.

88Jack88newbie
21 posts

Posted:
oh, well. It still looks cool smile

Gav486SILVER Member
You have 23 seconds to comply!
122 posts

Posted:
Yeh, it does look cool. I've seen it done a few times with fire poi, but 'm a little bit scared of hot metal so close to my hands.

Call me a coward if you want.

You cannot trust this boy! His mind has been corrupted by colours, sounds and shapes.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I agree, I get scared with the fire poi the distance away from my hands they normally are! (those flames look mighty big!). Sounds quite cool though, I've been doing somthing a bit similar, will try it this way!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I call those finger wraps

if you do it on the oppssing hand instead of the same hand, I call the finger loops.

there is nothing new under the sun.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
well not new but diff ive seen a contortionist do a revers weave bend back so far she went between her legs and turned it into a nomal 3 beat whitout changing hand positions never seen that anywere else again eek eek eek eek

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ouch!

ubblove

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
..that's just not right!! eek umm eek

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
thats what I said when I saw it
juggle weavesmiley ubbloco weavesmiley juggle

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
yeah i've played around with what you described in the original post of this thread.

lots of fun but a bit limited, IMHO.. but then, what do i know...?

sheesh...

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.