Forums > Technical Discussion > 25mm kevlar rope sufficent for home made sknakes?

Login/Join to Participate

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
im thinking im just going buy buy arround 10 ft. of 25mm kevlar rope from HOP, whats the best way to go about making snake poi? Thinking this might be enough to make 2 sets of 2 for a reserve pair

Knot on the end, little bit of slack then how do i go about putting the finger loops or anything else on the end? Or do i just cut two of them and dip it in a little and swing it by the rope? Im not liking how that sounds so any suggestions would be great! hug

EDITED_BY: Spacecow00x (1113615925)

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I've never made snakes, but do 'not' just dip part of it and swing it by the rope, the rope is a *wick*, so it will wick the fuel up as it absorbs it.

As for connecting, you could splice a loop in the rope and lash it with kevlar string to provide an attachment point for a small bit of chain and your handle. I'm sure there are other better ways though that other people know far more about

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Splice and lash are an option, but it's quite hard to do. I've just made some that have jubilee clips making the loop and carabiners fixing the wick on to monkey fist handles. I'm sure it's not the best way as it has mettle near the handles but they work for me!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
EDIT ditto
EDITED_BY: quiet (1113993284)

ture na sig

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Well I know theres a limit to how far it will absorb, and it probably would work just fine but there are a lot of potential problems that push it into the not worth it catagory for me.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
quote: It's true that the rope is a *wick*, but it's not true that the fuel will just be absorbed throughout the entire rope. There's a limit to how much fuel capillary action will pull up (this is why chromatograms work . . .)

yea but if you dont soak the whole thing the ubsoaked wick will just burn and break up after some time, and you dont want flaming rope snapping on you and taking out someone watching..
the simplest way ive found to make decent fire ropes would be to use double thickness rope thats looped over a chain at one end, with a small amount of normal wick wrapped around the other end (tube core stylie) to give it a little weight where its needed and to stop the ends fraying
I would use the 1 inch diameter, and consider more than double thickness for the full desired effect.. smile

progger

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:

2. I spun this rope for at least half a year before I lost it; I never had any problems with the method that I used.

EDITED 'cos I think I'm wrong about the rest smile

e
EDITED_BY: quiet (1113993239)

ture na sig

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
woah woah woah, I never said it was gospel so theres no need getting in a tissy about it. I never said it would wick fuel through the entire rope, I'm sure it would work and I even posted it would work but I would still advise against it. It's just asking for trouble if you ask me. You do what you want to do. I prefer to lean towards the side of caution

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
EIDT (ditto) [sigh]

EDITED_BY: quiet (1113993330)

ture na sig

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
No worries. I could just see someone dipping the wrong end of their rope or something similar only to light up and get a nice surprise

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
quote:
1. if you don't soak the whole thing, the unsoaked wick will NOT burn. think about it: it hasn't been soaked, and yr spinning it. ipso facto, it's not on fire: hence it can't burn. QED, damnit.

hmmm not really.. fair enough its being spun, that should stop the flame being in that much contact with the unsoaked bit of rope, but its still gonna burn it some every time you spin and then start to degrade

quote:
3. please, please, don't just make stuff up: you don't have enough evidence to claim that 'the unsoaked wick will just burn and break up'. I've tried, and it doesn't.

i am talking from experience, my old fire ropes had wicks sewn to end for a little weight, but since the wicks burned for longer than the rope itself, the rope right at the end next to the wick eventually burned through since it didnt have the fuel to protect it.. luckily i noticed that it was breaking up and stopped using them..
you might be able to get away with it for a while with single pieces of rope, but they really should be lasting a bit longer than a year

quote:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/wick_care.php
"Once all the liquid fuel is gone the fire will move onto burning the wick. Even KEVLAR® and other man made fibers will burn or smolder degrading the fibers once the liquid fuel is gone."

progger

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
EDIT the cool light of day

https://www.fibreglast.com/documents/349.pdf,
if you're interested.

apologies to whoever I suggested was making stuff up smile

e
EDITED_BY: quiet (1113993436)

ture na sig

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Hmmm....

I make a lot of these things for local peeps, fire snakes, blades, braids whatever you want to call them, wouldn't recomend relying on the kevlar rope on it's own to remain intact, I saw one snap and go flying into the audience, fortunately no one was hurt, it seemed to have degraded internally, difficult to spot from the surface.

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
^^ so how would you make them?
I want to make a set as well but cant think of a solid, safe way to attach a small length of chain to the rope...

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
fold the rope in half so youve got a loop at one end and two end bits at the other- loop a chain around the loopy end and wrap abit of kev strip round the other.. thats how i usually do it

quote:
apologies to whoever I suggested was making stuff up

nice one quiet, im just trying to share some info here, fair enough if you thought it was incorrect..
ubbrollsmile sunny

progger