.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I have problems with my arms and legs and the doctors can't work out what is wrong with me...basically its getting to the point where i can only stand for a minute or two and i can't walk very far atall. Although the docs don't know what is wrong they reckon i will get better (even though i'm still getting worse) so hopefully this will only be temporary

anyway i am determined to keep on spinning even though i will probably have to do it in a wheelchair. There must be a way. I'm guessing that i'm going to need short poi chains and short staffs and fire probably wouldn't be too safe but i was wondering if anyone has any advice?

I'm also looking for footage of spinning in a chair.
I would love to chat with other diasabled spinners..
Advice on what to use...any designs that would work well in a chair
Does anyone have any other ideas other than poi and staff that would be possible in a chair??

any helpful info would be greatfully received
many thanks
Starpoi ubbrollsmile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Wow, hug good luck.

I would be very interested to hear your findings, as I've been thinking about it for a while.

I think you could do a lot of things with little change and there might even be some new moves come out of it!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
oh, you mean this isn't a thread about spinning wheelchairs? bummer. frown

i hope you get better, good luck! hug

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hi Star Poi

I have been in your position with Doctors not knowing whats wrong with me on a couple of occassions. It took an age to get diagnosed with M.E. So I know how stressful and depressing it can get. If you ever need someone just to scream at with flustration or talk to just PM me. Sometimes just yelling at someone about it helps ubblol The endless tests and appointments can drive you nuts!

That said, you strike me as a positive person that will pull through this. Keeping spinning is a great idea. It will help keep muscles in tone so when you do recover you will be up and about faster. There are many, many designs for wheelchairs. Some will make spinning a lot easier. The slim line sports chairs are cool looking and they have very little in the way of parts sticking out that may snag your poi. You may also be able to get one where the seat is raise in relation to the wheels giving you a bit more height and clearance. Most wheelchairs have removable sides and backs so if you are able to keep balance without those that will give you more arm space.

I work in a disabled workshop and we have wheelchair users so I'll ask them if they know of any other chairs that might be good to look at.

Do you juggle? That would be easy in a chair. Diablo? I used to know a young man that was in a chair and he was one of the best yoyo spinner I've ever seen.

I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity and practice most of the spinning/juggling toys are playable with in a wheelchair.

Good luck and don't let the censored get you down (yeah I don't have a very high opinion of most Consultants and Doctors ubblol )

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
thanks for the good wishes

sorry sparkey..don't think i'm quite up to swinging chairs around!

skully..thanks for the advice. i think a higher chair would be much better. on a stool i can manage btb weave but a chair with a back is too restrictive and having to keep the strings so short is a real pain. might have to pusuade my parents to splash out on a sporty chair! I find i keep hitting my knees too... i need longer arms!

oh and don't get me started on doctors...my lovely great supportive parents have paid for me to have private treatment but even they have done every test imaginable and can't work it out and i swear half of them haven't heard of the word compassion!

The docs think what i have is pretty similar to ME or fibromyalgia, i have all the pain but i'm not tired....which is most frustrating, i have all this energy so i need an outlet like spinning to burn it up!

once i've mastered throwing the balls upwards instead of slightly forwards i reckon juggling will definately be a big part of my chair bound activities.

i am determined not to let this get the better of me....i will keep on spinning!!

thanks for the support
EDITED_BY: starpoi (1113579217)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hun you are one step closer to getting better already. Positivity is a HUGE part of getting better.

Don't worry if the Docs treat you like an object rather than a person. I came to the conclusion that its probably the only way they keep sane. Being in contact with so many ill and distressed people must grind them down if they get emotionally involved with each case. I agree though that some of them could at least learn to be civil. My Consultant when I first got sick was known as Dr frankenstein in my house....... His real name was similar and one day I mistakenly called him frankenstein to his face..... Funny how he past me on to another consultant soon after that ubblol

Oooooo how about contact juggling. Its flustrating at first because it takes ages to get good at it but its very addictive.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
frankenstein biggrin

contact juggling is so hypnotic to watch..always wanted to be able to do it..maybe now is the time!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I can't say much but keep up the great attitude and keep at your spinning! smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
for some reason I can remember seeing a firepoi video clip once with someone in a wheelchair, but no idea which (col2?). I'm sure its possible, you'd just need to experiement with lengths of chain etc. I made Pink some mini flags a few years ago when she was bed ridden smile

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
...and I made her some mini poi to go with them smile

Small toys work well sitting, just all the moves look miniature biggrin

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i'm off to my sewing machine to experiment...got mini flags...but not mini poi....wonder how heavy they'd have to be...

i'm finding i have to do everything more at head/face height (so i don't keep smacking my knees) which is mildly scary! might have to make extra padded poi!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Your not alone, look in my pictures for Ricki, she's also here surf our website to find more pics of her. www.controlledburnreno.com She was an olympic level pole-vaulter untill a car accident put her in a chair. I have a documentary on her that some frends made. I'll see what I can do about some how getting it to you it's 10 minutes long. As you can see she does fire staff and poi. There not too short either, you just need to watch your planes. smile She's not on HOP, she's too busy trying out for the disabled olympics in skiing. She got Bronze at nationals. Don't let anything slow you down. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
sounds like nothing could stop her! what an inpiring person....nice to know that theres people out there with such determination.

it would be great to see some more pics/vids for inspiration

Thanks for the links but I can't seem to be able to see your site at the mo but i'll have another go later.

ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Yes I noticed that too. Try it later, maybee the server's doin stuff. smile

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
There, it's working now. I don't know what happoned. smile

Cody Canon

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
When my knee problems were bad I was lucky enough to have Flid and Poly make me my mini toys. biggrin

You can do loads of short string spinning... biggrin

good luck with it all... I know how frustrating it can be hug2

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
After reading the posts i ran down stairs and tried out my grandfather's hired wheel chair (while he is taking a nap :P)I found that when i lean back its easier to do the moves more at an angle,slightly above my face.
Some difficluties were:
The handles got in the way of behind the head stuff
and i kept hitting my knees aswell :P

It is a great arm work out and i wish you the best of luck
ill keep you posted if i get any new wheel moves

Spinning makes my world go round

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I've seen wheelchair poi a couple of times and taught a paraplegic basic moves. Basically everything had to be slow, wide moves and at weird angles. As it sounds like you've still got use of your legs that'll help you balancing so you can lean over to get more room to spin away from the chair.

As Skulduggery says, the type of chair will make a difference to how much you can do.

Also you might find this is a great time to try something new that can be done while sitting in the chair or floor, such as juggling or contact juggling.

Experiment and let us know what you work out!

And I hope you begin to get better soon smile

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
oooh i'm getting so many ideas

i've been trawling the net looking at different chairs and i think its going to be worth spending the extra on a more sporty chair so that i'm less restricted. When i'm sitting my balance is great and i can lean about a lot which makes the moves easier. oooh and hopefully i'll be able to do wheelies in it to biggrin

i think once i have got used to the chair it will become a lot more natural, still hitting my knees a lot at the moment which isn't really helping with the pain!!

anyway thanks again everyone
you're all great!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
My mum is in a wheelchair with MS, a decent chair is worth it's weight in gold! I think most of the circus toys are pretty easily adaptable for chair use, you sound to be good at poi and flexible-you can do a btb weave (I can't!), which means with a bit of practice you can probably manage most things.

My experience of doctors is also poor, mums consultant would go on holiday for 3 weeks, be back for 2, go on holiday for a month, be back for a week, go to a conference somewhere else angry

good luck!, get well soon!

hug

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
could be just the excuse you need to try contact juggling smile

hope everything goes ok hunny hug

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Someone at work Recommended THESE guys for chairs. They told me they make custom builds if you talk to them. You might be able to get them to make you a special poi wheelchair! ubbrollsmile

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
thanks skuduggery, i never knew there were so many types of wheel chair!!

thanks everyone
it really helps keeps my spirits up getting postive messages + support from you all
ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
If I were you I'd start conditioning my shoulders for lots of ceiling plane work. Start with lighter poi, even glosticks, and work your way up to heavier "burn" weights. there's lots of cool patterns and stuff in ceiling planes that are overlooked- and they can be really useful in teaching you how to correctly use your arms over your head. just play around and see what happens. if it hurts then your posture is off.

also i'd go check out some glosticker sites and vids, and read all up on my inversions thread, and work on isolations as they will allow you more freedom of space with longer poi. there's lots and lots of poi moves you can do without needing to get near the wheelchair. i bet you could find a welder to alter the handles on about any wheelchair for not much money... should be simple. it may be hard to find a wheelchair with handles that will fold away, and if you had a welder customize it you'd be able to pick the wheelchair without having to worry about the handle design.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
thanks for the ideas

my boyfriend is a mechanic and has a welder so i was thinking about customising. I was looking at the site that skullduggery said about and wheelchairs certainly are pricey! lots of saving to do!

i've been making lots of lighterweight toys today which has helped, my arms get pretty tired spinning. Just need to find an aluminium supplier in somerset so i can get a lighter staff, thats a lot more difficult in a chair than poi!

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
An idea for sunny days in the park might be to get one of those folding canvas camping/fishing chairs or stools (depending on if you need the back support) to take with you, so you can pick a nice spot, swap chairs and have a spin. Those chairs have lots less sticky-out bits than a wheelchair, even the sporty ones smile (Also cooler to sit in on a hot day and you can pick one up for a tenner if you look around biggrin)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Wheelchairs, stop you from doing very few things, I tend to forget that my dads in a wheelchair.

Yes, a stool sounds like a good idea ubbrollsmile

hug

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

flamazinejourneyman
91 posts

Posted:
If your boyfriend is good with his welder, he could make you some kind of frame to which you are strapped so you are upright with your arms free. You could try something along the lines of a hammock too, then you could be high enough above the ground. When faced with a problem I get all Heath Robinson though, I'd have you trussed up and swinging from a crane!!!

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!