Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Anyone done anything fundametally 'New' in the last 6 months or so?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Haven't really been spinning pio that much in the last 6 months, and i haven't been following this forum much. (I've spent my time learning 2 diablo which is fially coming together, linking a few nice suns together, suicide, just getting forwards fan, spinklers coming on and nailed the vortex a few times)

Anyhoo, i was just wondering if i'd missed out on any fundamentally new stuff. The last thing that i remember being fundamentally new to me was all the inside, inverted, variations of butterflies and weaves. COs it opened up possibilities i'd never explored. But that was about a year ago i think.

I'm guessing a certain group of bristol folk have been advancing in the direction of >>> plane changing tangles // propellors // contact // mind games?

Really just looking for something that i can get my teeth into. Get back into me poi.

laters

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i always cheat and enter those right before/as i'm going into the carry

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
That's what I ended up trying - it's a lot easier that way ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
see you guys don't need me around anymore...
aaaahhhhhhh.....
*runs off to flirt*

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
spherc -- both. umm. i checked last night and split time is definitely easier, even though i didn't think it would be when i started learning these. if i'm doing split time, i turn into the tangle as it tangles on the leading side... it untangles, retangles in the other direction, then i turn again. same time, i have to decide to tangle either on top or on bottom a half beat before the turn, and then decide whether to turn right or left with it, so it's actually a lot harder for me to do clean, even though i learned it first (story of my life). split time might have a trailing side tangle where you turn away from it, but if it does i haven't learned to untangle it. anyone know about those? so yeah, the exact move i was talking about is the:
"4 beat split time butterfly outside tangle weave". this is also why i'm against shortened poi move names. lol. it's hard enough to not be vague with deeply technical terms already!

-- dut

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I like Mr Chutney's long arm, stalled pendulum flowers.

Me, 2Bags and Frodo were coming up with a lot of post-modernistic poi moves this Sunday...
Some awesome stuff there, had to be seen to be believed.
"Fakes" were a true classic...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
"fakes" - they're mine they are. soon to be appearing on a video smile.

puresock and i have also been working on a new type of poi matrix which is quite cutting edge. might try and persuade him to put it on a video when he can get it slightly smoother.

favourite trick from sunday though was durbs demonstrating "foot isolations". truly beautiful and mesmorising ubbrollsmile.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: 2bags

puresock and i have also been working on a new type of poi matrix which is quite cutting edge. might try and persuade him to put it on a video when he can get it slightly smoother.

I'll get to work on that but I also have to make the long awaited force push video. I might just stick it all together into one. But, of course, I am missing one important thing: a video camera.

"Take that, math!"

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
you poi. me film. biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mmm, the return of post-modernist poi... ubblove

bovril monkey and ucof's 'gilligan flowers' were truly a sight to behold.

and i found out that doing antispin beats when moving pendula through point isolations makes for a nice braintwister.

been having a go at andy's wrapped spirals too -
trying to do those in flowers really hurts my head so i gave up smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: