Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Anyone done anything fundametally 'New' in the last 6 months or so?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Haven't really been spinning pio that much in the last 6 months, and i haven't been following this forum much. (I've spent my time learning 2 diablo which is fially coming together, linking a few nice suns together, suicide, just getting forwards fan, spinklers coming on and nailed the vortex a few times)

Anyhoo, i was just wondering if i'd missed out on any fundamentally new stuff. The last thing that i remember being fundamentally new to me was all the inside, inverted, variations of butterflies and weaves. COs it opened up possibilities i'd never explored. But that was about a year ago i think.

I'm guessing a certain group of bristol folk have been advancing in the direction of >>> plane changing tangles // propellors // contact // mind games?

Really just looking for something that i can get my teeth into. Get back into me poi.

laters

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
the friction burns were a problem though...
and I probably shouldn't have been wearing a dress redface

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
wow i think u guys go to deep with these discussions, honestly i'm amazed wen i c ppl with like 4000 posts, u guys stayed awhile, would rly wanna c u spin,

So. in the last 6 months, i have been doing new things cus i calmed myself a lil, dont practice as much, the fundamentals ARE the same, but the level of difficulty increases and even though u know HOW, u cant nececarily do it, gets on my nerves, for newbs its hard cus they jsut dont know HOW.(i miss the fun of beeing a newb) n e ways this was my post of the montth enjoy biggrin
EDITED_BY: joulz (1114639904)

it must be green

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
fav fundamental move? longarm butterflies in wheel plane smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i got a 1/2 chase-&-follow weave through my legs, in a 180 turn!

W007!

right poi leads between legs as (left) turn starts, left poi follows, left poi leads the exit as right poi completes full turn and exits as turn completes.

hope that makes sense! (for those who want to try).

If you check out this pic you'll see the fist step through, i now step through both loops! Gotta try this with my angel-wingz now!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Markeespark(CCC)member
150 posts

Posted:
New?
How about using other parts of the body instead of hands to hold your poi.
You can use the inside of your elbow which puts both poi on on side leaving one hand free(to wave).This also is an opportunity to swap poi(left poi to right hand and right poi to left hand).
Also you can use the back side of your knee..

Kia Ora from the Central City Circus

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
nice one markeespark - if you got some favourite patterns, you are welcome to post about them in the multiplex poi thread. Welcome to HOP btw smile

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
don't we have a thread or 5 on those? I know I've posted in a couple, but I don't remember who started them.. catches and throws into elbow pins.. weaving and wrapping with knee pins.. lots of things I haven't played with in a while.. this thread shouldn't be called fundementally new.. this should be called dust off the old threads full of cool things we don't play with anymore nor explored enough at the time... I ahve a feeling that even though there's nothing new here, lots of new stuff will be coming up soon..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
And I'm thinking I wish Molly hadn't been wearing a dress either wink
Runs and hides

(oh for those who have seen the clip of contact girl, natalie and Yuval who are in it are in the country this weekend!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I did a popping and locking workshop a few months ago. Been trying do contact but may try some poi just to be sociable...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
How about combining capoeira and acrobatics with poi? Keith Barefoot did some of that at FireDrums... sick stuff.

I think I might have to quit spinning for a while... so much to work on, but my fundamentals just aren't there yet...

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah... Dom, I would say that I'm with you... just play and forget it all... but my spinning's been in a rut for a while now and I need to do something new. Maybe I just need more beerchug !!

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I think I might have to quit spinning for a while...

eek That is a joke, isnt it confused At least you have to come to spin when we get together in the park next week! Loads of beerchug and peace ! biggrin spank

hug

Firedrums was sweet ubbrollsmile

And on topic: Something fundamentally new confused What about antispin spiralling around one hand (two fingers works better since you get more rotations ubbidea)

hug again

andy

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
If you isolate antispin spirals... does the head stay in place while your hands wrap around it?!?

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

If you isolate antispin spirals... does the head stay in place while your hands wrap around it?!?

Good question biggrin

Depends on how long it should stay there and how clean you want to get it . . .
Additionally you run into the problem that while spiralling you cannot seperate the Poi and so you enter the realm of [Old link] in one hand. Which is quite diffictul with two Poi in two hands and considerably more difficult when spinning both in one hand. Still possible and a nice way to train onehanded control smile

Hope that helped

Good night

andy

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oooh i can't wait to get together and see what kinds of fun you've worked out...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
new thing (or i havent seen nor heard off this before).

i am experementing with butterflys X2 (one in eatch hand) and some days ago i finally found a way too pirouett your body.

left hand butterfly goes behind the back, body spinns leftwards, rigth hand buttterfly goes overhead, body has now turned 180, left hand goes overhead, body spinns, rigth hand returns from behind the back. body has now turned 360. ubbrollsmile

well i am not an expert explaining poi moves...

if this isnt an old move i guess some fundamentally new things are happening with the 4 poi spinning.
what do u think? shrug

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i would like to see some 4 poi/2 meteors stuff. it could be crazy....

i cant do it mysefl, but i can imagine.... the onehand weave isn't too hard, so a double of that should be possible.... and if so, fountains could be done.... and there we go!
EDITED_BY: Disc0 (1115132237)

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funny, I JUST saw a guy doing two small meteors in a park. Doing some badass yoyo style tricks with them too.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
I've played with 4 poi before...
made a crazy meteor design to do it, with swiveing handles for a smother rotation...

but i never really practiced with them much...
it always impressed... but i never really had the urge to carry on with it... they've been dismantled now and I use the wicks on some extra poi... Perhaps i should re-assemble, or re-design!

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile is rolling around on the ground, while spinning poi new? ubbrollsmile

ifsofacto *yay*

if not, yay anyway

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
I'm still trying full length poi isolated everything...
I'm learning something from this, but not sure what as yet! ubbrollsmile

~peace is a fire~

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Written by:
i am experementing with butterflys X2 (one in eatch hand) and some days ago i finally found a way too pirouett your body.

That's well fat! Ive been playing a bit of double meteor recently but only managed double staff tricks with a few contacty wibbles and weird throws.. How the hell do you get into double butterflies? Are you throwing into them?
As for kepping them both going with turns.. pffff

progger

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: BoomShankar

As for kepping them both going with turns.. pffff

once you've got them going and can keep them going, figuring out the turns won't be an issue! Practice doing butterfly weaves with a single set of poi first... it'll give you the general idea of incorporating turns

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
i usually start with butterflys from the begining. flipping one poi with one finger and then pulling the hand uppwardsinto the butterfly (well i dont know how to explain this).

it is also possible to throw form meteor style spinning and catch into butterfly.

or hit on poi with your foot, like a wrap.

when it comes to turning u will have to learn Alternate Butterfly Combination with 2 pois in each hand. or u can start training throws and pirouetts ( i cant do the last one with 4 poi yet. but it migth work.)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
(for drew, dom, danae, steve, NYC and others from that memorable conventiongrouphug)

'and after 17 years, i finally realised i could let go of the poi!'

ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
You can go the ball smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
i know it's not 'fundamental', but when butterfly tangles got big a while ago, did anyone figure out the continuously turning outside bf tangle weave, or did i manage to come up with something new (to you guys)? what about the same in windmill planes (half behind the head)? BF BTB WW tangles? umm... is there anything that could be considered new in that area?

i like the inside->outside->inside bf tangles and anything that combines bf/weave tangles and tangles plus wraps in various planes. i also have no idea what anyone else has been doing in this area lately. shrug i'm almost up to speed on most of the 'basic' wraps from the first Tekno Turtles video from 2 years ago -- where did they get their stuff originally? california? that was some fundamentals culture shock for me at least...

what else might be new, but not fundamental? 5 poi showers? wink

-- dut

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
oooOOO "the continuously turning outside bf tangle weave" sounds nice. Do you do it InTime or SplitTime?

I've pretty much nailed my continuous weave tangles but my butt tangles suck lol

Definitely should practice these, thanks for the inspiration, i'd been putting them off for ages.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

what about the same in windmill planes (half behind the head)? BF BTB WW tangles? umm... is there anything that could be considered new in that area?

I can do the BTH BF tangles, trying to get the BF BTB WW tangles smooth - it's mainly the entry that's eluding me at the moment.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Page: