Forums > Technical Discussion > where to buy uv-reactive ripstop nylon?

Login/Join to Participate

lucideznewbie
7 posts

Posted:
okay, so i've got the design to make my own tail poi, and the catch is that i've already been to 6 fabric stores around where i live, and none of them carry uv reactive ripstop nylon. (i know this since i bought samples and tested it out with a black light). white is easy to get, but i want pink, yellow, orange, etc....

does anyone have any leads of online companies which sell this stuff? where does everyone else get it?

thanks a bunch!
-v-

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
where in the world are you?

it's not necessarily the fabric, only the colour is important when it comes to UV light. if its white or fluorescent it'll glow

i gave up looking for ripstop and just use nylon or polyester because the only shops i found sold blue blue and blue!!

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Starpoi, if you're still wanting ripstop, drop me a pm and I'll give you a couple of links for suppliers that sell it by the metre in lots of pretty colours and different weights smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

lucideznewbie
7 posts

Posted:
for starters, i'm on the west coast in canada. and nope, i haven't been able to find any fluorescent ripstop at all. only red, yellow, blue...etc... nothing bright.

how does nylon or polyester feel in comparison to ripstop?

and for those of you who have links to ripstop suppliers in canada or the us, which weight do you suggest? i found some sites with many weights (no fluorescent though), and have NO clue what is an appropriate weight to try out.

-v-

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
look up kite people..they use it lots.

i make all my poi with polyester or nylon based fabrics and they feel fine...only difference is the lack of tiny little squares in the pattern and it frays more but i hem all my stuff so it doesn't make much diff. i also find its cheaper.

i use relatively thin stuff cos it's lighter then just use a double layer on the body for extra strength

lucideznewbie
7 posts

Posted:
yeah, the kite angle is the one i've been looking at. will check out some kite stores in town in the next few weeks to see if they may be able to lead me in the right direction.

-v-