PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Im going to be making a few staffs for myself, and i am just wondering how much kevlar wick is used per head before i go out and buy in from the HoP store.

The heads im making are:
1. 4 inch tube core
2. 2 inch tube core
3. monkeyfist knot with either 1 inch or 0.5 inch rope

if you've made any staffs before, just some rough guidlines to how much i use would be great so i dont buy too much

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I used 50cm of kevlar for each wick on my staff, and that worked out fine. I haven't had much experience with staffs and what-not though, so you might want to wait and see what some-one else says... wink

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
cheers for that,
you knew more than me, i did have a clue. tonguei will wait, always best to get a few opinions.

stongsfireGOLD Member
53 posts

Posted:
I have 4 pieces of 2 ft by 4x 1/8.....but really it depends on the amount of flame you want....the fatter the wick the larger the flame......

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?

Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war

for a lead role in a cage?

--Pink Floyd

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Its really upto you as to how much wick you wish to use........But heres how much we use of the Kevlar wick that we sell here at HOP central when making the products you asked about that you see on the site.

4.0" Tubecore 2ft of 4" wick per fire head
2.5" Tubecore 2ft of 2.5" wick per fire head

Monkeyfists...well you asked about how much wick we use making them but you mentioned 1.0" We do have a monkeyfist here at HOP central that is made out of 1" rope and it is the size of a soccer ball (I kid you not!!!) No one has actually lit it yet. ubbrollsmile
Heres a helpful link to the making of the standard monkeyfists that we have on the site that will show you how to make them and how much 3/8" rope to use etc etc

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/monkey_fist.php

juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Thx Kombi, yeah i realise the monkeyfist is gonna be quite insanely huge, interesting to hear that noones lit them yet, any particular reason for that? or just noones had the idea? if it is gonna be too insanely huge, ill probably use 0,5 inch wick, how much do they use?

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
yeah im thinking of making my own staff with a foot of kevlar wick on either side of a long staff, but i say go with Khombi

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
a foot per wick?! I'd say at least 2, otherwise it won't burn long at all

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I try and work to around 2 and half foot per staff end, sometimes three foot, the ends are chambered with a kevlar core to extend burn time, this makes most of the kit i make rather heavy though.

mark

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
excweeze me? monkey fist the size of a soccerball? that SUCKS lampoil big time... i mean, i have some serious issues spinning triple cathedrals... monkey fists the size of a soccerball must be even heavier than that! (not talking about the size of the flame 8| )

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
my staves have about 75cm of 10cm wick on each burner

I think this may have been slightly excessive; half a metre, or slightly over, is probably a good bet

ture na sig

NephrurusBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
I used 60cm of 2 1/2 inch wick on each end of my double staves and that works wonderfully. Biggish flames and a massive flare off.
Go the giant monkey fist! It'd be awesome.....

-H

"If you light a man a fire he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Hehe im looking foward to spining them, it'll probably weigh a tonne, but i'm willing to take it tongue
i post some pictures when there done.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
All the staffs I make have 50cm of 100mm wick at each end, this seems about right. I would venture the opinion that three groups of 45mm wick spaced out at each end looks better than one huge wick at each end.

The biggest staff I've seen is owned by te POOKa and is four meters long with over a meter of staff covered in wick at each end. I hate to think how much wick it took.

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Cools thx all for the tips and all that. im set now for the wick strips.

but i still need to know how much rope i need for monkey fists, both the half inch and 1 inch (havent made up my mind yet).
Any info regarding that and how much extra i need on the ends to thread it all through would be muchly appreciated!!

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
you need about half again to thread a monkey fist.

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"