Forums > Technical Discussion > Conditioning new wicks. Why?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Today I went through the process of conditioning the wicks on some lovely new toys.. poi and devil sticks. I'd remembered doing it years ago, and our local Gooble shop had a whole info card on it, so it must be important/ common or recommended. They call it conditioning, I called it tempering... soak, light briefly, douse, redip, repeat....

But while I was happily getting acquainted with my new toys, and enjoying the ritual aspect of it all, I found myself wondering...
WHY do we do this?

I have a memory somone said it was to increase their eventual burn time.
True? Can anyone enlighten me why it's important?
Is it to create a layer of 'soot' in the wick which burns (rather than the Kevlar)?

Hmmmmmm

smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
It IS humid in most of TX, with the exception being the western portion of the state. Houston was built on a swamp after all.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yes... which is why i pointed out that i was only taking the piss... aww nevermind.

Getting to the other side smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
use stainless steel like you should and nothing will rust

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Is my link chain not stainless steel?

Pah, just cos it's not ballchain tongue

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
wicks going moldy? I doubt it considering how toxic most fuels are, and anyway, surely a couple of burns will get rid of most the crap on them.

actually after looking at my old wicks, I have another idea about why paraffin would help keep the water out: The soot combines with the parrafin to effectively form a 'seal' on the outside when they are dunked. (all conjecture tho)

raising another point: does soot have protective properties?

I think the best solution to avoiding water damage to wicks is to dunk them and wrap them in plastic bags when not in use

rusting links are more likely to be a problem, but as Vanize pointed out you should probably be using SS or at least NPS (which is at least resistant to it [disclaimer: NPS has numerous disadvantages compared to SS which vanize has pointed out before and I can't be arsed to do again])

god I feel like a lawyer putting all these disclaimers in! ubbloco
probably the fear of being sued by an american lawyer... eek

disclaimer: that was meant to be a joke. No offence was intended to any americans or members of their legal profession who read this. hugto any who feel offended. wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

Funny boy.

I actually store my wicks the same as you Mr Angel... i'm fairly sure the only real problem Vance has with it is that they smell bad and can be a fire hazard if not stored correctly...

But then, as he also knows, it is possible to store them in a safe and non-smelly way biggrin

Puh. I guess it doesn't really matter either way, whatever makes you happier hug

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Mine are in an air tight plastic box.....um a bit like Tupperware.

I bet someone now tells me off for this because my cathedral wicks could in someway be mistaken for food, being as they are in a food container, and could be inadvertently eaten by someone.

Well I say let the stupid fool eat them and die! One less twit on the planet! I do believe that is called Natural selection.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
skully: have you heard of the Darwin Awards? Numerous exmples of twittishness there! rolleyes

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
mmmm...kevlar! tongue

biggrin

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I have wound up with shirts or pants saoked with parafin because some ninny or other (sorry if I am refering to you - you really aren't a ninny) thinks it is proper to store soaked wicks but didn't seal them correctly. Also got very car sick once because of the pervasive parafin smell in car from the still wet wicks.

I HATE it when people store wicks wet. It does not help them in any way, and frankly every wick I have ever seen stored wet on a regular basis looks worse than my wicks, which I store dry, do after YEARS of use.

Also note that even dry wicks are essentially waterproof after 10 burns or so, probably for the reason lazy angel said. I know not everyone find this to be true, but my wicks actually float on water because they are so waterproof - and even holding them underwater for a minute doesn't allow them to soak up any water.

Also note that parafin and other fuels will eventually eat through some kinds of plastics - so if you do store wicks wet, watch it. plastic bags are a bad idea, and tupperware may or may not be safe.

Also note that flying with dry wicks is marginally alloweable, but flying with wet wicks is HIGHLY ILLEGAL!!!! They can throw you in jail and fine you many thousands of dollars for flying with flammable materials.

-v-

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I don't store mine soaked.... I'm a non soaker. I guess the residue on the wicks might eat away at the tupperware in the end.... thats if the fool doesn't eat the wicks first ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
wouldn't worry too much about the residue - not enough there to react significantly I would think...

-v-

Page: