Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Glowsticking moves, with poi.

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In the interest of furthering diplomacy, I thought it'd be fun to look at some of the moves our glowsticking brothers have been inovating and seeing how, or even IF they could be incorporated into sock poi or fire poi moves.

It'd also be interesting to see what moves have difficulty transferring the other way. I remember giggling like a spaz at my New York folks trying to see who had the best glowstick isolations. They were ALL pretty sad.

Then again, it's nice to see moves like "Flowers" making such a smooth transition to glowsticks pioneered by our own diplomat Kael.

I've been talking a bunch of crap about 'gumbys' without actually putting the time and energy into actually getting it done.

I think that it would be important to document what we've done on film as there seems to be some debate as to the authenticty of claims.

So:
Glowstickers, can you give us some things to try that are specifically glowsticking?

And poi kids, can you do them?

[Disclaimer: We're talking about a SPECIFIC move or skill that would be common to the glowstick vocabulary. NOT can you do my 15 minute routine while I'm reciting pi to the 100th digit.]

I call gumbys. I'll work on them tomorrow if it's sunny with my fire wicks. I know I'll have to buy some parts once I figure out what parts I need for nonflammable straps but I'm on the case. And if you don't know what gumbys are, Durbs a do.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Can I list anything, even the things that obviously wouldn't look as good?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
brilliant.

ney... GENIUS. biggrin

Jo.

EDIT - Just to clarify, that I think not just sock or firepoi apply, but string designs too.

I personally am very interested in seeing if any poi peeps can simply dance around with glowsticks, as there is a general concensus (I disagree with) that 'body movement' is a very difficult concept to transfer from poi to glowsticks.
EDITED_BY: Jo (1112998051)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
i would like to see string wraps done with heavier poi sets on film.

fieMember
15 posts

Posted:
you cant do this with poi because traditionally the chain/string whatever is longer and you hit yourslef in the face... i guess you could do this with poi but it wouldn't be that graceful :P

https://www.localslackers.com/ufo.wmv

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Fie, shush, that's the whole darn point of this thread.

Written by: mixinluv2u

i would like to see string wraps done with heavier poi sets on film.

When you say string wraps, do you mean airwraps and such.

Hrmmm... didn't PK have a nice black and white vid with a few airwraps.

The funny thing about airwraps is the folks that can do them best don't video them much. I don't know why that is. I think it's a modesty, honestly. Perhaps even a British modesty. Unlike an American brashness of "Look what I can do!"

Anybody got a vid PK or a Coleman or any of the other Jedi airwwrappers? ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
errrrrr, did I download it wrong? Isn't that just a crokscrew kept tight? I was hopin' for some mad mindgame, tracin', string wrappin' crazy action moves!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
fie, you can do that one with poi, you've just got to wrap the chain around your hand to shorten it a bit, or just have shorter chains to start with, there are plenty of people who do.

I usually only do it towards the end of a burn, when there's not the volume of smoke coming off the wicks, since it swings them close to my face - I don't really fancy breathing it all in.
I quite like adding a buzzsaw part into the middle, that looks pretty nice.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yay! Meg wants to play too!

And meg, I don't think Fie is one of the folks that's been truely challenging us. It's those other two boys that are gonna kick us into high gear.

See, I'm beginning to see that much of the stuff you see on a random Sunday in London or Monday in Edinburgh doesn't show up on film so the glowstickers don't see much of it.

Meg, show the boys a vid of some fire airwrapping. I'm a little man, show them the big boyz. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Duowraps with heavier weights... which I'm actually trying to accomplish btw. I can do some.

Link catches and other catch moves with chains and fire - also trying it.

Various idiotic string tracing with fire- (done by yours truly - idiot with colemans and no neck protection)

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Written by:

'body movement' is a very difficult concept to transfer from poi to glowsticks.

I concur with this. My style is pretty heavy on body movement and while I can rollerskate doing anti-spin butterfly flowers with normal poi, I look like a total newb with a set of glow sticks. Now, perhaps its because I dont practice with sticks ever but I think it really does have something to do with the weight and speed at which heavier poi perform.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think it's cuz you don't practice with sticks. If you did you'd be sick dude.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Likewise with me and heavier poi.

wink But I'm practicing

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Yay! Meg wants to play too!

And meg, I don't think Fie is one of the folks that's been truely challenging us. It's those other two boys that are gonna kick us into high gear.

See, I'm beginning to see that much of the stuff you see on a random Sunday in London or Monday in Edinburgh doesn't show up on film so the glowstickers don't see much of it.

Meg, show the boys a vid of some fire airwrapping. I'm a little man, show them the big boyz. biggrin

I've only got a single snippet of me doing a fire airwrap, and it's mostly taking the piss out of myself. I am also one of these "Please god I wish I had a video camera!" people, that hop seems to consist entirely of, and gs.c has the polar opposite.

Oli or YT probably have some sick vids thou. And bluuuucat has sock wrappage goin' on a lot. do you want linkage?

Anyway, off to break out the glowstick double nun-chunks.... Hmmmmmmmm.... speedy....

My 0.02 on wraps: While doing horizontal wraps a lot, I've discovered one thing: There is three main modalities: Butterfly, Followtime and Splittime. There is no butterfly splittime. Splittime is just splittime.

Oh let me explain, you have to be doing continuous wraps, no full spins. (I haven't experimented with one wrapping one spinning... much.) Butterfly: They both hit / wrap on opposite sides of the body at the same time. Follow: They wrap on one side of the body at the same time. Split: One poi is wrapping, the other is free about to wrap.

I've just made my head hurt trying to contradict myself... There is only THREE!!!

I like glowsticks, I have lots. I tried to order ultras, but I think I got the wrong thing. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
i bet a fire airwrap or orbital would be absolutely amazing to see. all the pieces of flame flying in different places.

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
As mentioned before:

- complex wrap combinations.
- glowstring tracing
- linked catches.

kael or wes, could you give examples of each of those in video clips? and can you do the glowstring trace over to be more zoomed in and done slower so people can follow? i guess that might be the best way. show a move, then see what other versions look like.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
hahaha, slow complex wrap combos... with pleasure wink

Fire airwrap isn't bad, adam's pulled off fire orbital straight from a weave but it isn't consistant yet. I have it on film somewhere.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
https://kaelgotrice.spymac.net/Kaelstringdemonstration.wmv

Money!

Keep in mind I'm spinning in my dorm room with less than 5 feet of space. Thus the 'me sticking my tongue out at the bed'. If I had more ceiling room, I would have shown you some neck duowrap/trace combos, but alas, you'll have to wait until my next video. wink

Included - isolations, neck/knee traces, double knee trace, thumbsplitting to link catch/throw, airwrap/hyperloop, orbital airwrap-> catch -> orbital airwrap, loads of wraps, duowraps, whatever.

Uneditted, uncut as usual biggrin

If you have questions on moves or the times at which moves are performed, just ask.

Cheers,

~Kael

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Anybody got a vid PK or a Coleman or any of the other Jedi airwwrappers? ubblove

I do have a video of me doing fire poi with air wraps and orbitals.... but Kael won't let me release the version that I have.

*shakes fist at Kael

Wes, I think you may have a coppy, along with NYC... but just remember, you didn't see it from me.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Why don't you just edit your part of the vid out of it?

sheesh

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
because people need to see you!

If it's the UT HOP comp, it would make sense if the person who can actually do clean anti spin flower turns shows up on the vid.

If I get bored tonight, I may just edit it out, and the probibility of that happening is quite high, so keep paying attention to this thread, a link to me doing fire airwraps and orbitals may pop up sometime soon.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
I don't believe I did antispin flower turns in that video...

Anyhow, I'm not posting a fire video on HoP until I get my kevlar set in, maybe I'll beat you to fire catches adam, just maybe wink

ubblol

This is going to be a fun summer

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Air Wraps and an orbital with fire... brought to you by.... ME

yeah... it took me all of three seconds to get bored and to edit. But because I'm lazy, you guys get no music and not much more than just the air wraps and the orbital.

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
kael, you need to edit the link, it's not correctly done.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
The linking is weird... meh - oh well just copy paste this if the link doesn't work.

kaelgotrice.spymac.net/Kaelstringdemonstration.wmv

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I gotta honestly apologize to the glowstickers. There IS a very strange phenomenon that goes on where none of the jedi stuff makes it on video because we don't work like that. Usually we're just trading poi tricks in person. (I think it's a "Why would I make a video to show some people I don't know when my friends are all standing right here?!")

It's absolutely positively silly that nobody's got any airwraps on fire. I mean jez, *I* can do three different airwraps on fire and I'm at the bottom of the ladder.

Does the spinach sessions have any airwraps? I know it's socks but still...

Help Meg. And where the heck is UCoF?

This ALWAYS happens to me... I always look like an idiot saying "No! For real! There was this guy and he was like..."

I looked like an idiot for months trying to describe the Rubber Heart guys to my staff spinning buds in NY. Thank God they got vids up.

Do y'all really want me to hit up RBM's back yard and do some lameass airwraps? And some pathetisad wrap butterfly wraps? Just to prove it can be done?

That would make me so very sad. I'm so not the guy you want to see.

Besides, I'm hell bent on playing with my gumbys tomorrow.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
*points at NYC and laughs...

poor un-jedi you.

It's good there's no footage of jedi out there. It gives me something to aspire to. They will always be better than I.

biggrin

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
string wraps is sometimes grouped with "string manipulation." string wrap is referring to a catch done by pinching one of the glowstick in your armpit or behind your knee. then wrap the other glowstick around the pinched string.

INSTRUCTIONS:
- pinch one of the glowstick in your opposite armpit (left stick in right armpit) or behind your knee and hold it there.
- wrap the other glowstick onto the string that is pinched, so that it spins around.
- pull so it spins back out.

EXAMPLES:
Scooch's video has several combos utilizing string wraps:

[Old link]

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
couple more challenges:

glowstick wraps done by FIRE POI.

INSTRUCTIONS:

- wind one of the glowsticks into your hand and hold it.

- wrap the other string around the glowstick being held.

thumb wraps any heavier poi of your choice.

INSTRUCTIONS:

- forward butterfly, clap your hands together so they wrap/spiral all the way in on your hands.

- before it start to unwind, stick your thumbs out so it wraps on your thumbs once before exit.

transition into TUTTING (and/or freehand glowsticking) with any heavier poi of your choice.

INSTRUCTION:

- wind both sticks into your hand so that you are holding them.

- perform tutting (funkstyle dance that requires forming of right angles with the hand/glowstick, forearm, bicep)

EXAMPLE:

[Old link]
EDITED_BY: mixinluv2u (1113024494)

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
double butterfly neck trace with FIRE POI (preferred), other heavier pois might be interesting to see too.

INSTRUCTION:
- start with butterfly then begin into the motion of double neck wrap.
- right before (or as soon as) the stick comes in contact with your neck, move your hand in the opposite direction around your neck

**for example, if your string was spinning counterclockwise, as soon as it hits your neck and before it bounced off, move your hand AROUND YOUR NECK clockwise. now do this with both hands in opposite direction (butterfly).

- DRAG the glowstick around your neck.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
catch combos with FIRE POI.

the basic principle is a pattern constructed with catch and release of the glowstick. more often than not they will be really close to your body/face, so be very careful when you attempt. for the convinence of this thread, please copy this combo performed by karmaraver from Glowsticking.com.

https://djwes.spymac.net/combo_3.wmv

Page: ...