Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Glowsticking moves, with poi.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In the interest of furthering diplomacy, I thought it'd be fun to look at some of the moves our glowsticking brothers have been inovating and seeing how, or even IF they could be incorporated into sock poi or fire poi moves.

It'd also be interesting to see what moves have difficulty transferring the other way. I remember giggling like a spaz at my New York folks trying to see who had the best glowstick isolations. They were ALL pretty sad.

Then again, it's nice to see moves like "Flowers" making such a smooth transition to glowsticks pioneered by our own diplomat Kael.

I've been talking a bunch of crap about 'gumbys' without actually putting the time and energy into actually getting it done.

I think that it would be important to document what we've done on film as there seems to be some debate as to the authenticty of claims.

So:
Glowstickers, can you give us some things to try that are specifically glowsticking?

And poi kids, can you do them?

[Disclaimer: We're talking about a SPECIFIC move or skill that would be common to the glowstick vocabulary. NOT can you do my 15 minute routine while I'm reciting pi to the 100th digit.]

I call gumbys. I'll work on them tomorrow if it's sunny with my fire wicks. I know I'll have to buy some parts once I figure out what parts I need for nonflammable straps but I'm on the case. And if you don't know what gumbys are, Durbs a do.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
ubblol

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Badass 6 quid Welding Gloves UCoF.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
it's been 2 weeks. anyone still working on those videos?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I think we've already admitted defeat Wes.

Jo. smile

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ive never seen this thread before...

Where did it come from?

smile

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I would work on the videos if I had something to record them with.

To be honest though, I find it very difficult to practise glowstringing moves with my poi, because I get side-tracked very easily into coming up with rather absurd combos, I think that's much more fun than getting them looking good wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: mixinluv2u

it's been 2 weeks. anyone still working on those videos?

SHUSH JO!

Yes!!!! Steve from Te Pooka has my gumbys on video. But since it's in the middle of a huge mess of amazing staff videos I don't know how long it will take to get done.

More importantly,
You really don't believe that I did some amazingly sloppy gumbys with thick gloves on?

I'm starting to feel like unless something is posted on video, it doesn't count.

So far I've been called into question on the following:
YES, I did pathetisad gumbys on fire.
YES, I made a fire hula hoop and spun it.
YES, I did throws and catches with my fire plate.

(Don't worry, it's not just you Wes.)

I will PM bluecat and see if he can kick steve into getting me the video.

If I do it in the Central Park on Saturday for Cleric at the GSC East Coast Meetup, does it count? Oh no, those knuckleheads won't let me do fire. wink

I concede nothing. biggrin

"If I can do it with glowsticks with a part of the body that can be protected, I can do them much much worsely with fire."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. hug

My birthday is May 11th. I'll ask Dad for a digital video camera. And name it Wes. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
And if you think 2 weeks is a long time to get something done then you clearly don't know firespinners.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
IMO, I think the best thing may just be to get away from the whole challenges and dramas toward each other. Glowstringing and Poi are both loaded words that can be misleading. I think we can all agree that we're in the same family of some big "spinning/twirling" category. After that, people can focus on what they want and call it whatever they want, but personally I'm more interested in general learning and spread of information.

What I'd really like to see is more resources that talk about techniques in a general way and then give specifics relating to particular things. For instance the motion of a "weave" is pretty similar with "poi", clubs, or staff. Clubs and staff will both require specific sorts of grips, etc.

Even limiting our discussion to flexible tethered objects, the reason why I think general info. is important, is because things aren't nearly as black and white as "poi versus glowstringing". Some tricks are easier with lighter or heavier weights. In that case the shape of the weight doesn't really matter. You could have a light wick or a heavy ball. You could have a weighted glowstick (and isolations are probably difficult with a light club just as they are with light glowsticks).

There can be a class of tricks in your mouth. Fire is going to be out in most cases, but it could be just as easy to have a sock in your mouth as a glowstick. A big indian club would be too big to fit the end, while a baton is fine, etc.

Glowsticks can be twirled and stalled. So could wood sticks on rope. My socks with rubber balls in them could be thrown at walls and bounced off. If people did enough of that, it might even warrent its own name. But in the end I'd just like the info out there so that even someone with a rubber cube or something could be inspired.

Tails versus glowsticks versus electro stuff all have different looks to them. I saw someone doing spiral wraps with fire and it had a neat effect where the hands seemed to dissapear. Wraps that hit your body aren't very practical with yo-yos where it kills the spin.

I was able to post an illustration in the forum earlier of an airwrap, which is called The Venkman with yo-yos, and may actually have been "invented" first by a yo-yo player. But for the nature of the trick, it'll be possible to be done with most flexible tethered objects, so that doesn't matter.

The prop does matter to some degree, but it varies from trick to trick and prop to prop and by what you want to achieve. With all those variables, there isn't any one answer. But I think it'd be more helpful to the most people to not label a trick by the prop, but rather the characteristics favorable to it. This trick is easier with a heavy weight, this one needs something that bounces.

If a trick is easiest with a light weight and doesn't touch your body and shape doesn't matter so much, then glowstringers know it'll probably work well and some guy with a light fire poi knows they can do it also. Someone with a heavy sock poi knows they'll have more problems with it and have to judge whether it is worth it.

All this arguing about whether you should limit yourself to expand the art or do which might be possible but not practical. You are both perfectly right. I've seen it all between juggling and yo-yoing.

Certain styles of yoing got broken out into divisions with certain conceptions and while at first tricks were sparse, they eventually grew into the strengths and limitations. But also many jugglers have made careers on doing impractical things. Why would you juggle three chainsaws when it'd be much more practical to use balls instead?

Neither is right or wrong and I really just don't care. Let's just everyone make an effort to get information and learning material out there and then people can figure out what camp they may or may not belong to and what tricks they find practical and what artistic impression then want to portray and all of that.

I guess I'm coming to things from an "open source/creative commons" type point of view. Create what you want for your own specific reasons, but then try to give back to the world at large. You never know who might find the information useful.

Shawn

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Good words Shawn beerchug

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: ShawnF

. I think we can all agree that we're in the same family of some big "spinning/twirling" category.

I agree with everything you've said.. a Lot of us do.. but there are some that just can't fathom that concept.. its as if it is belittling what they do to find out its the same thing.. as absurd as that sounds..
personally I dont see any discussion as being worthwhile.. they don't accept proof even when they get it.. which isnt to say I don't want to see your vids NYC.. I jsut think they wont matter.. but I think you knew that already.. wink

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm not looking to prove anything to anyone.

I'm solely trying to challenge myself.

Unfortunately, due to my crazy life, I seem to be all talk at the moment. Which is unlike me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Actually, I should have also ammended that line, in that if you stop spinning/twirling and do freehanding, that part wouldn't be in the same family, just like some string tricks in a AA yo-yo freestyle wouldn't be either. I'm mainly just talking of the parts that do fall into that family, regardless of if a particular name also can encompass other things.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
*prepares to kick steve*

i'll see what i can do mr NYC.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
hug

Thanks homie.

I wouldn't care if I wasn't gettin razzed.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Throughout this thread people are saying how a signifigant reason why glowstringing is a different style is because the freehand technique being used. When I spin beamers I often wrap the chains all the way around my hands and hold the balls in my hands. (I know how that last sentence sounds no need to point it out ubblol) I am doing something akin to freehand glowsticking in my opinion and if I had good gloves would love to try this with fire, I think it would look sick. Due to the heavy chains tho I can't do any moves where I realease the balls but I still am freehanding. This seems to be a big argument about what separates the two styles of spinning but I've done this ever since I got a pair of beamers, surely this is not glowstringing but another example of how two styles of spinning crossover and influence each other. I imagine theres somebody in the world whos done freehanding moves with fire. I was recently at a small rave/festival (a very nice mix of hippies and ravers all getting along in harmony,twas a wicked fun time) and I had all these glokids coming up to me and asking about my toys and wanting to grab my "balls" aka beamers and play with them a bit. There was no sides or anything and I taught people and learned a bunch myself. I even got to play around with glowsticks at both ends of the string and had a great time. But getting back to my original point if I can remember it. Freehanding is definatly possible with glow-poi like beamers and the like but i would still be spinning poi not glowstringing just because the toy I'm using is different.

If this is confusing and doesn't make much sense I apologize, I got sidetracked in the middle and when I came back couldn't quite remember what I was trying to say. I do like the part about getting along and sharing ideas in the middle tho. We need less drama over this. hug
EDITED_BY: Rovo (1114520929)

Peace, Love, Circles

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
<===Say hello to the worlds worst freehand glowsticker.

Or the worlds first freehand firesticker.

bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

Just got back from glowsticking with some of the nicest guys and gals in the planet from Glowsticking.com

I feel like I've been doing the butterfly my whole life and somebody just showed me the weave. biggrin

Vids to come.

I'm horrible. But it's so... damn... fun. ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
NYC SHUT THE [censored] UP. YOU ARE NO WHERE NEAR SUCKING.

you owned tonight man. I was blown away by your stuff. You really took every glowsticking thing we taught you tonight and transfered it to fire. I can't believe you did that crazy mind game string manipulation [censored] i showed you. OMG.

Fire freehand was awesome. Threading with it and then the tracing ....WOW.

I can't wait till we get that footage properly set up so we can show the world what people can be capable of. You proved so many people wrong tonight in so many ways. You deserve to pat yourself on the back.

We are defined by the choices we make

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Im waiting NYC smile

love nad light :R

POI THEO(R)IST

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Naganootch

NYC SHUT THE censored UP. YOU ARE NO WHERE NEAR SUCKING.

Aight, I'll post it here since these are my peeps (and maybe repeat it at GSC if need be.) wink

I don't mean to pull the "Oh, I'm so sucky" card like that annoying girl in class who says "I failed my test" whenever she gets an A- (Us teachers hate them too. wink )

I'm a mid level firespinner. NOTHING I did last night was anything to write home about in terms of poi moves. Compared to the Jedi that I chill with in the UK so often, that was a crap poi spin. I actually felt awkward to get props for relatively basic isolation patterns. I still remember getting out to London and one of the first things Smallboy said to me was "You've been spinning for two years and that's ALL you can do?" It's a whole different poi world out there.

I'm a beginner glowstringer.
I'm a beginner freehander.

Now if you want to say that combining the three of those was some crazy sh!t, I'll give you that, tip my hat, and say thanks. Cuz it felt a bit crazy from my point of view as well. Not quite as crazy as balancing a spinning plate of fire on a wooden stick above my head crazy, but crazy nonetheless.

I guess since I can see SO much in front of me to learn in those three areas, I can't take any credit for the skill level YET.

I'm blessed to be consistantly surrounded by the best Stringers, Poiers, and Freehanders in the planet. And those are the people that I owe thanks to for attempting any bastardized version of what they do so well.

Now shut up and go work on your three glowstick stuff ya crazy raver. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
NYC, you suck.

You fail glowsticking high school. Go back.

Oh wait, you already are? wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes, I'm a 22nd semester senior. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I had a "Well DUH!" moment yesterday when I was again playing with the idea of holding the lit poi.

If you hold the wicks (glowsticks etc) and PRETEND to do isolations, it looks like you're simply doing the move you're pretending to do (but aren't cuz you're holding them!) You can keep this illusion up as long as you don't transition out of isolations. Isolated Weave-buzzsaw-revWeave etc... still looks like you're just spinning poi.

It's totally obvious, but gives a whole new world of freehand moves.

Weee!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
does it look the same? how do you hold it without it looking held? whihc has been what most people were fascinated by when I do them... they call it some jedi thing because I make the poi float there.. it took me a while to understand what they meant.. so yeah.. how are you holding them.. or is this just one of those, do it and see if they don't notice...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I dunno what you're talkin' about.

In a dark room, looking just at the glowstick, the glowsticks do exactly the same thing when you're freehanding doing isolations as when you're doing isolations on the string. Or, just hold blue glowsticks while doing isolations on strings with green glowsticks. They both should be doing the exact same motion (OBVIOUSLY) if you're doing good isolations (OK, they're 180 degrees out of phase). Now throw away the green glowsticks and you're freehanding with blue glowsticks and following the exact pattern you would if you were doing isolations on strings with just the green ones.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yeah.. but what I'm getting at is if you hold the glowstick, your finger cuts off part of the stick.. thus regardless of perspective, there is a part of the hand around the stick.. whereas with an isolation your hand is always adjacent to, not on or encroaching upon/around, the stick.. so its not a matter of motion/path, its a matter of the effect of the percieved stick to hand aspect.

I'm not saying some people wont notice the differnce, I'm saying that the people that I spin around, trip out over the 'floating next to' effect, that doesnt get captured by a held stick.. whihc is why I ask how you are holding it.. I don't freehand, so its entirely possible that you might know of a way to hold the stick that I'm not seeing..

then again since I have handles (not lit ones), and I tend to hold the handles with just 1-2 fingers and a thumb with my fingers kinda flared out.. its not something I do intentionally, but itchel pointed it out to me one day as something he thought was really cool, that he had been trying to pick up... said it made it gave it some effect to it.. shrug

Like I said, people tend to notice a pay attention to different aspects of the moves 'effect,' than I do.. and I don't know how to mimic those effects in a way your describing.. and I don't know if that's just my on touch (or lack of inisght) that makes it so or not..

oh and when is your vid going to be up.. I have people that want to see it.. they've come into spinning after a lot of the old fire spinners around here have quit, and thus haven't seen some things like what's in your vid..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Obviously there's gonna be a difference in presentation. But I was interested because the GLOWSTICKS are doing the same thing.

Check out the small video on this thread at GSC.

https://www.glowsticking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1625&st=0

The glowsticks are exactly following the path of an isolated buzzsaw transition. A few times he goes OVER the arm, which is illegal in poi, but towards the end he's doing legal ones. wink

Obviously a very different effect, but a very easy way for a stringer like me to get into freehanding. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
Okay it's my fault that NYC was getting razed I do have his video and i do have it digitized if he could just tell me where he would like me to deposit it then I would be more than happy to upload this particular spectacularly unedited unsoundtracked peice of proof onto the net biggrin

Viva UGLY STAFF

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, don't worry about it.

It will be easier to just wait for the Glowsticking.com meetup video to go up in a few weeks.

I do some basic freehanding on that one also.

Props though homie!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
aw jesus christ I spent at least ten minutes sorting this out ubblol

I guess I'll just have to keep it in my personal collection of NYC related stuff next to the shrine

runs away carresing a DV tape

Viva UGLY STAFF

Page: