Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Glowsticking moves, with poi.

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In the interest of furthering diplomacy, I thought it'd be fun to look at some of the moves our glowsticking brothers have been inovating and seeing how, or even IF they could be incorporated into sock poi or fire poi moves.

It'd also be interesting to see what moves have difficulty transferring the other way. I remember giggling like a spaz at my New York folks trying to see who had the best glowstick isolations. They were ALL pretty sad.

Then again, it's nice to see moves like "Flowers" making such a smooth transition to glowsticks pioneered by our own diplomat Kael.

I've been talking a bunch of crap about 'gumbys' without actually putting the time and energy into actually getting it done.

I think that it would be important to document what we've done on film as there seems to be some debate as to the authenticty of claims.

So:
Glowstickers, can you give us some things to try that are specifically glowsticking?

And poi kids, can you do them?

[Disclaimer: We're talking about a SPECIFIC move or skill that would be common to the glowstick vocabulary. NOT can you do my 15 minute routine while I'm reciting pi to the 100th digit.]

I call gumbys. I'll work on them tomorrow if it's sunny with my fire wicks. I know I'll have to buy some parts once I figure out what parts I need for nonflammable straps but I'm on the case. And if you don't know what gumbys are, Durbs a do.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
glowstick placement in your mouth with fire poi.

INSTRUCTION:
- stall one glowstick, whip it back into your hand, catch it.
- place it into your mouth

**as part of the combo/pattern/"mind game"

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Nice ideas man, but u dont know much about firepoi do u! ubblol

Written by:

double butterfly neck trace with FIRE POI

Nailed that one. It "was" concidered a jedi trick ages ago, although the jedi are rubbish, if only because of attitudes like :
Written by:

"Why would I make a video to show some people I don't know when my friends are all standing right here?!

So thank u for sharing ideas and vids.

I did have alot of hyperloops on fire but removed them last night so i have room in my server to host my new vids. If u like, i will go outside in the rain and shoot some loops and host them. smile
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1113029912)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Spiral Wraps:

https://www.domorepoi.com/lessons/wraps/spiral%20wrap.htm

more stuff:

Bluecat: https://www.poiinthepark.net/modules/mydownloads/

YT videos, the firey one is best: https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=4413&cat=500&password=

Oli: Bound to have some airwraps in there someplace: [Old link]

and simians has some funky [censored]: [Old link]

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Still I really don't think it's feasible to duowrap with heavier poi than glowsticks period... I'm going to end up burning or most likely choking myself.

But as you may have guessed, I'm going to try it anyway. wink

EDIT- Shameless replug as I don't think I can do this with anything other than glowsticks or a glowstick substitute - any thoughts on how to manage it? After less than 3 minutes of "attempting" this with my chains or even sock poi, my arms turn to goo and I can't spin for a couple days.

https://kaelgotrice.spymac.net/Kaelstringdemonstration.wmv

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Haha. Monkey do. biggrin

Jo. wink
EDITED_BY: Jo (1113041049)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Maybe it's because it's 4 am over here but I'm not aware of how I look like a monkey? meh?

(Other than the spurrious trying not to move and yet moving, dodging beds, and sticking my tongue out at the bed)

biggrin

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
the tongue was funny as hell. lol... been there...

feels like a straight jacket sometimes in a bedroom, don't it... wink biggrin

Jo.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"glowstick placement in your mouth with fire poi"

HA!
Reckon!

umm

Surely it wouldnt be glowstick placement if its done wth fire poi, but instead just plain stupid?

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't put glowsticks in my mouth even.

Who knows where they've been? Manhandled by damn dirty ravers. ubblol wink

And Jo, it depends who's in the bedroom with me.

Though I imagine with kevlar gloves and a stout heart and more practice a lot of those things can be managed - I don't believe I'll ever be able to manage complicated duowraps without muscles the size of the Hulk. ubbloco

It's actually absolutely retarded how much I've strained my arm muscles trying. You wouldn't believe...

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

fieMember
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

errrrrr, did I download it wrong? Isn't that just a crokscrew kept tight? I was hopin' for some mad mindgame, tracin', string wrappin' crazy action moves!

exactly, i was going to mention that but forgot..

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
cheeky cheeky!... biggrin

Jo.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
The point that I think most people miss is that you can convert all of these over.. its just a matter of getting used to your tool..

I use monkey fists.. and I shortened my chains down to 20 balls worth of ball chain.. and I can transfer ALL my wrap combos.. same goes for my traces, thumb splitting, and what not.. it just took a while to get used to the timing that was required for things like neck traces..now will I thumbsplit, or link catch when lit.. no.. because I don't have kevlar rope poi.. I have ball chain.. give me some kevlar rope and about two weeks, and I'd do it to..

none of this matters though.. because wes refuses to come see... his loss.. but one thing I should point out is that he is being ABSURD... fire poi held in the mouth.. because you know.. I see glowstick kids ALL the time with glowsticks in the mouth.. that is the big move these days isnt it.. LOL... so I'll give that challenge credennce when there are actually a number of kids that do it.. until then.. its just nonsense.. on both sides..

HOWEVER.. I will say that anyone who daer claim that ANY of thise including the nonsense couldnt be done with other forms of poi.. ie anything not lit, or electrically charged (don't ask) is just making a mockery of themselves.. ALL of this can be done with any form of non-dangerous poi.. (including unlit fire poi) which to me is very relevent to the issue at hand.. since it demonstrates that the moves aren't privy to any medium.. the medium and the cutlutre are all that divides..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
the point is not all moves can be transferred the all poi.

and even when it's "possible," it might not be practical.

doing a placement move with fire poi in your mouth is stupid, doesn't really matter if it's possible or not. i agree, UcoF thinks so too. therefore proving a point that more important point is whether what each tool is BETTER at doing and what FITS, which Rev and Jo seems to ignore.

it's BETTER to focus on the style/moveset that each tool excels in.

and for those that still want to prove that ALL move is transferable, i'm still waiting on the video clips of the moves posted above.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'd like to point out that demanding video clips like that is very muck akin to asking someone who's just cracked the 3 beat weave to post a video of them doing the 5 beat weave - a little unreasonable.
Bear in mind that the vast majority of us have never tried those moves before, it may take a while to learn them, then find a camera and enough time to shoot footage.

Kael, those duowraps, what do you do with the other string/chain? After watching your tutorial video I can do a duowrap with my sock poi (bouncing it from my hand to my neck and back again after it's wrapped around my other arm), but the other poi is just spinning wallplane circles. I'm assuming that I find a random appendage and wrap it, right?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
why is it unreasonable if they already said they "can" do it? videos are important because often times text only describe the technical aspect of the move.

for example, the text description of hyperloop and orbit airwrap will be the same. because they are technically the same. but visually it's so different. so when people ask the question - Can you replicate orbit airwrap with heavier poi? i'm gonna say no, because technically the same is not enoough to make them the same.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
"why is it unreasonable if they already said they "can" do it?"

if they don't have a camera...

or they arn't on Mid-West timezone (ie in bed)

then it *might* be unreasonable?

Jo.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Also, there's been a video posted of an orbit done with fire.

I'm really talking about the other challenges that you've set, like the string wraps, glowstick wraps, thumb wraps and catch combos. I don't think anyone here has said they can already do them, instead saying that they could indeed be done.
Give us a chance to learn the move and video it before claiming that you've proved us wrong.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
tongue

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
i didn't claim anything. you are assuming things. i didn't demand anything RIGHT THIS MOMENT. stop being so defense. get it out when you finish it. but until then, we are not really going anywhere.

and doesn't the fact that most of poi-ers havn't "done any of those moves," say something about the moves themselves? doesn't that make them qualify for more glowstring-oriented? since they were developed with a specific tool in mind - glowsticks on shoelaces...

doesn't that mean it's possible for one to be "pure" glowstring and focus solely on the moves developed specifically for glowstrings? doesn't that valid this seperation of category?

simply put, if there were a good amount of moves that were developed with glowstring-specifically in mind (without worrying about if heavier poi can do them the same, sometimes even try to go the opposite direction as heavier poi), if there were a solid culture, philosophy, community behind glowstring-specifically, doesn't that warrant its seperation?
EDITED_BY: mixinluv2u (1113071824)

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Also, there's been a video posted of an orbit done with fire.

i seen it. but it looks really different. the 2 fire wicks don't spin close to each other together for 2-5 seconds, like the glowsticks do.

the reason we called it orbit airwrap is because it resembles another form of light dancing called orbiting. and when done with fire wick, it looks nothing like orbiting. that's why i think it's different even though they are technically the same.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Wes, whilst we are waiting then....

will you concede that body movement can look great with glowsticks (Kael)?

Jo.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
NO JO!

Your feet must remain stationary at all times.

Otherwise it isnt Glowsticking... its Poi.

tongue

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no it's not!

It's manipulating weights on the ends of strings! (String is a general term for a not-so-heavy link between the weight and your hands.)

silly ucof, get it right! Didn't you even READ that other thread?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I love them all:
https://www.easily-amused.org/video/chicagoGS/

light, :R

POI THEO(R)IST

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jo

Wes, whilst we are waiting then....

will you concede that body movement can look great with glowsticks (Kael)?

Jo.

well, my honest opinion is that it looks kind of ugly. there's really no thoughts behind it, nor is it artistic.

for the most part its swaying and side-stepping back and forth while wrapping. those movements are both generic and unnecessary. those movement has NOTHING to do with the wraps he is doing. he would sway the same way no matter what wraps he is doing. there's no thought behind it, he just does it just because. i see that as a bad habit.

to me a good dancer knows where his/her body is and what its doing at all times. eliminates unnecessary movements and add variety at the same time. compliments whatever else he is doing with the rest of the body movement.

and in this case, Kael did not do so. he just sways and sidesteps without care.

other movements he done are the quick spins and the under the leg swing while turning. how is that different than another persons when they did a weave/turn or under the leg swing turn? those movements are pretty much "built in" in the moves themselves. there's specific timing where you need to turn to make it work, and that goes for everyone.

with kael's case, his turns looks awfully similar to Nick's Devilishly Yers, but only a worse. less graceful. he even admitted that's where he tried to copy these from.

so the answer is no, i do not think that's a good example of style via body movement with glowsticks. i think it looks like a wannabe poi-er who couldn't use fire.
EDITED_BY: mixinluv2u (1113073931)

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
This is absurd, we're doing nothing but talking in circles.

Written by: mixinluv2u

and doesn't the fact that most of poi-ers havn't "done any of those moves," say something about the moves themselves? doesn't that make them qualify for more glowstring-oriented? since they were developed with a specific tool in mind - glowsticks on shoelaces...

No, it just means that we havn't seen them before. Yes, they were developed by people using glowsticks on strings, but that doesn't make them more any less valid for people who chose to learn to do them with juggling balls in socks.

Most of the moves I do with my poi were developed by people swinging around lumps of wood, that doesn't mean they're club oriented moves.

simply put, if there were a good amount of moves that were developed with glowstring-specifically in mind (without worrying about if heavier poi can do them the same, sometimes even try to go the opposite direction as heavier poi), if there were a solid culture, philosophy, community behind glowstring-specifically, doesn't that warrant its seperation?

It'd make you a community of people with a seperate style, but you're still using a toy that in my opinion is basically the same as what I play with, just with a few cosmetic differences.

It'd be like two tribes of people on different continants building huts - they'll use different materials so could end up with one made from buffalo hide and long branches and the other made of yak hide and shorter branches.

They were developed independantly and are different enough to be given different names depending on who you ask, but they're both still just somewhere to shelter.

Some people call it glowstringing, some people call it poi - does it really matter when the essence of both of them are swinging around weights on a line?

so the answer is no, i do not think that's a good example of style via body movement with glowsticks. i think it looks like a wannabe poi-er who couldn't use fire.

I'd be interested in seeing a video that shows what you consider to be the quintessence of glowstringing. Which video would you recommend as getting the closest to this ideal?

Sod it, I'm going to stop arguing this point, and just have a play instead, hopefully picking up some of the cool stuff I've seen on the glowsticking.com site. weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1113074699)

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
let's take a martial art's weapon - rope dart (still weight on strings), as analogy.

i believe rope darts should be called rope darts (and not poi) because:

- rope dart moves are designed/developed specifically for the tool: to damage one's opponent in battle.
- rope darts and martial arts has different culture, philosophy, and community.
- when martial artists try to advance in their own art, they focus on different things than poi. (tricks to damage opponent vs artistic value).

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You only use one rope dart at a time.

"when martial artists try to advance in their own art, they focus on different things than poi."
And ive never seen a martial artist use poi in martial arts.
They are too slow.
And Glowsticks dont do enough damage.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
huh? I'm not saying glowsticking is a martial art. I'm saying glowsticking is different than poi, just like how rope dart is different than poi.

Page: ...