Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Glowsticking moves, with poi.

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In the interest of furthering diplomacy, I thought it'd be fun to look at some of the moves our glowsticking brothers have been inovating and seeing how, or even IF they could be incorporated into sock poi or fire poi moves.

It'd also be interesting to see what moves have difficulty transferring the other way. I remember giggling like a spaz at my New York folks trying to see who had the best glowstick isolations. They were ALL pretty sad.

Then again, it's nice to see moves like "Flowers" making such a smooth transition to glowsticks pioneered by our own diplomat Kael.

I've been talking a bunch of crap about 'gumbys' without actually putting the time and energy into actually getting it done.

I think that it would be important to document what we've done on film as there seems to be some debate as to the authenticty of claims.

So:
Glowstickers, can you give us some things to try that are specifically glowsticking?

And poi kids, can you do them?

[Disclaimer: We're talking about a SPECIFIC move or skill that would be common to the glowstick vocabulary. NOT can you do my 15 minute routine while I'm reciting pi to the 100th digit.]

I call gumbys. I'll work on them tomorrow if it's sunny with my fire wicks. I know I'll have to buy some parts once I figure out what parts I need for nonflammable straps but I'm on the case. And if you don't know what gumbys are, Durbs a do.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

I think practicing with glowsticks has improved my poi spinning too. When doing longarm patterns I found it was more a matter of faith, than feel, that kept my planes straight. Now when I spin practice poi, everything just feels cleaner. Same goes for stalls too.

I definitely agree. When I first tried a 4beat TTN with glowsticks I was a spaz. I realized that my planes weren't as good as I thought. Practicing with the glows definitely got my poi planes cleaner.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
yeah... real life meetups are always the best. you lose a lot with videos. but when it comes to trading ideas with accomplished people, i think the videos are the quickest and most econmical, and not only that, but MOST importantly, "fits" the thing we are doing.

So yes, I totally agree 1) videos suck compared to real life.

but here is my opinion 2) videos are usually better for displaying visual meetups that incorporate movements than text descriptions.

Just like how an art book is chock full of photos, even thogh you often lose the essense of the art (the oil, the textures, etc) itself.

Page: ...