• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1...1819202122...35
George
Total posts: 3
Posted:Are there any other pyro types living in sleepy 'ol Cambridge these days?
Whats there to do in terms of fire spinning? Anyone want to meet up sometime and find out?

Delete Topic

Matty_B
Matty_B

veteran
Total posts: 1314
Posted:lazy arse, and his phone is still off thats rubbish. . . I don't have your number karen . . .

Yup saw the vid twas very good

Delete

HaadRinPoi06
Total posts: 20
Posted:hello all! wave just a quick question....where does everyone get there parafin from? coz ive been absolutely everywhere lookin for some n ive got my performance in like 2 weeks time n havent yet practised with fire so im desperate 2 find some fuel!

help!!!!!!!

Clo xxx peace

Delete

afghan_bingo
afghan_bingo

Total posts: 116
Posted:you can get parrafin from the shell garage in trumpington, and from homebase in the business park on newmarket road. thats where i get mine. not sure of other places.

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Total posts: 434
Posted:Some garages sell paraffin (Q8 in Girton does, not sure which others). Garden centres are also usually a good bet. If your coming down on a sunday let me know and I can pick you some up if you have trouble getting hold of it.

hope to see you next weekend

Motley

Delete

HaadRinPoi06
Posted:hallo!

I finally got some parafin, but thanks for ur help...i dnt even kno where its from coz my blokes dad got it for me, cant believe how cheap it is!!!

So i got some practice started but lo n behold, it was crap!!! The flame lasted less than 2 minutes frown but i did do it during the day coz i was unsure of myself-safety first of course! so i tried it at night too and again they only lasted about 2 minutes so i bought some new ones 'cathedral' something or other, and im hoping they'll last a bit longer......any thoughts????

Clo xx peace

Delete

pyrojulia
Total posts: 7
Posted:Hello Clo,

Hallo everyone else too - seems a long time ago I last went to Parker's Piece. Anyway I was going to add Mackays as another place for parafin (big hardware shop across East Road from back of Grafton Centre.

Hope punting trip goes well everyone.

A good soak makes fire last a bit longer but mine don't last all that long either. Am I right that monkey's fist last longer? I was thinking of investing in those one of these days.

Julia

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Posted:Hi Julia wave, long time no see. Monkey fists do last a bit longer because of their low surface area:volume ratio the flames tend to be slightly smaller than equal sized cathedrals as a result tho (not really noticably).

Clo, not sure what your poi are like or where you bought them so its hard to tell. It really depends how big the wicks are, what shape they are (cathedral, tube core or monkey fist) and the quality of the wicks. Sounds like you already bought some new ones, so give those a go and how they work out. Not sure if its my imagination but I think mine burn longer now than when I bought them so you might see a slight increase in burn time after 3 or 4 burns, not promising anything though wink

Motley

Delete

HaadRinPoi06
Posted:a-ha! I c! ubbidea I will try that out!

My old ones were from Thailand, and were quite small and made out of this weird almost powdery sort of wick confused but i had 2 get some new ones anyway coz someone told me thai ones r abit unreliable safety wise n i dnt wnt 2 b lobbin poi heads at anyone at my sisters wedding!! tongue

I was actually really worried about using my new ones b4 the wedding coz i thought if customs checks my suitcase (re:this airport high alert thing) and sees these burnt out things that may look suspiciously like weapons to the untrained eye umm then i mite find my self in an interesting predicament! but i will try with them b4 goin n e way.....thats if this bloomin rain stops anytime this year!

Thanx!!

Clo xx peace

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Posted:Yeah I've heard bad things about poi from thailand. I would avoid using them all together, especially now you have an alternative.

As for travelling with poi that have been used before, dry them out as much as possible. Wrap them up really well in plastic and try and take a photo of you/someone spinning and attach it to them. That way if someone finds them and thinks they are a bit suspect the picture will help explain what they are and you'll stand a better chance of getting them back. I know people have travelled with poi sucessfully but with the hightened security at the moment its best not to take any chances.

Motley

Delete

afghan_bingo
afghan_bingo

Total posts: 116
Posted:yo, this is probs a bit late notice, but i cant make it tomorrow, am working 4-10. the bastards!!!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Delete

HaadRinPoi06
Posted:Hello! wave

Ive just got back from Cyprus where i went for my sisters wedding, and just thought i'd pop in n mention that my FIRST EVER proper poi performance went really really well. So thank u to all of u that gave me advice n help n stuff. I was absolutely terrified at first but i just kept reminding myself to keep calm and relax and i did n it went really well.

There were about a couple of 100 guests there and because it was in a hotel there were also random people out eating there dinner so it was pretty packed but im chuffed that i did it. So thanx again for all the help u lot have given me! biggrin

thankx

Clo xxx peace

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Posted:Cool, well done Clo, glad to hear it went well. Now all that remains is for you to come down on a sunday and have a spin with us! biggrin

Motley

Delete

VampyricAcid
VampyricAcid

veteran
Total posts: 1286
Posted:don't expect me on sunday, i have a throat infection, and cant talk

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

Matty_B
Matty_B

veteran
Total posts: 1314
Posted:* has gone surfing *

Delete

HaadRinPoi06
Posted:Hey motley,

I keep reminding myself that i shud but its well hard for me coz i live in Stradishall (near Highpoint prison) and i don't drive so its 2 buses 2 get to cambs and the last bus back 2 strad is at like 5o'clock!....so u see my predicament biggrin I will try tho.

Clo xx peace

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2895
Posted:well, we are open to suggestions, so maybe if you tell us what time would suit you we can organise a extra meet round that?

P.S just had an offer from China, waiting to get confirmation on departure date eek

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Posted: Written by: LazyAngel

P.S just had an offer from China, waiting to get confirmation on departure date eek

Nice one mate! see you sunday?

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Total posts: 4525
Posted:ooh well done Guy!!

and as you lot seem to be so crap at checking the poi in the punt thread, i guess i'll have to post this here.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Posted: Written by: jo_rhymes

ooh well done Guy!!

and as you lot seem to be so crap at checking the poi in the punt thread, i guess i'll have to post this here.

YAY Jo, thats so coool biggrin:D

*runs of to check poi in the punt thread*

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Posted:you dont have to check the poi in the punt thread. i posted it there anyway!! spank

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Nice one, jo! hug biggrin

we won't be about on sunday cos we're going to Bath to look at the Avenger exhibition at the costume museum rolleyes wink

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Posted:oh cool!! have a good time!! hug

Delete

VampyricAcid
VampyricAcid

veteran
Total posts: 1286
Posted:as of next week, CamCircus is back inside in the same place as last time

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

charliejuggler

Total posts: 5
Posted:Yep, that's right - more details at www.camcircus.org. We've got a huuuge hall, lots of toys (including some sock poi and staffs (staves??)), a stereo and lots of friendly types. We'll be indoors every Sunday now until July 2007, apart from a few public holidays.

Cheers

Charlie

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:*bumpity bump*

Ok you'd better all be about tomorrow, because I've got a cold and I want to infect you all! Mwahahaha! (can you tell the medication is making me a bit odd? wink )

more to the point, I've got less than a month in the UK, so I need to see as much of you guys as I can before I leave! grouphug

If the weather's really lovely tomorrow I think i might head to Parker's Piece

Delete

Sym
Sym

Geek-enviro-hippy priest
Total posts: 1858
Posted: Written by: LazyAngel

can you tell the medication is making me a bit odd?

Yeah I've thought that for about a year now...

Oh wait, erm, yeah, erm wink ubbangel

Aww, I miss you guys frown I'm not living in my new house yet so no where feels like home at all.

ubbidea Wait! I'll be in Harlow tomorrow actually, so if I can find a place to stay I might be able to come along tomorrow evening! biggrin *sends emails to people*

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:yay! biggrin

Delete

DanDrum
DanDrum

Total posts: 10
Posted:Hi all, and especially hi to Guy, Amanda?, Tom and Simon who I met for the first time this Sunday on Parkers Piece/peace (whatever!!!). Thanks for the lessons and I hope you enjoyed the drumming/didge. Looking forward to coming next week.

Your all just jealous cos the little voices only talk to me!!!

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Posted:Its Karen biggrin not sure where you got Amanda from confused

It so should be parkers peace peace lol ubblol

Was good to meet you too, look forward to seeing you guys again next week

Tom

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Yeah last weekend was cool. biggrin I'll bring my drum and didge next weekend biggrin

Delete

Page: 1...1819202122...35