Page: ......
Georgemember
3 posts

Posted:
Are there any other pyro types living in sleepy 'ol Cambridge these days?
Whats there to do in terms of fire spinning? Anyone want to meet up sometime and find out?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
grouphug I have an internet connection at last (albeit a totally rubbish one)! grouphug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

JamesandpieBRONZE Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys, I've just started spinning, both staff and poi. I've bought a dvd, and a couple of books to get me started. I was wondering if there are any regular classes for this kind of thing in Cambridge? Or maybe is there anybody out there willing to help me a bit every week?

Also how long does it usually take to safely progress onto using fire? AKgraphics it would be awesome if you were to add me to that mailing list if you don't mind, would be cool to keep up to date about meets in Cambridge. Thanks in advance fellow spinners! James

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Heya, I'd really recommend camcircus. If you PM me your email address I'll add you. Good luck - yay for more spinners!

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
the best way to know when to progress to fire is when you feel ready, not when other people tell you to hav a go, remember it you that is gonna get set on fire if you mess up, not them.

www.camcircus.org <-- this is where we normally meet, with the possibility of going to parkers piece after for a burn

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Anyone going to camcircus tonight? I am but si is off to london so wont be able to make it. I suspect I may be the only poi spinner going tonight, someone save me from those wierd juggler types eek ubblol

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I think I'll be coming tonight - I've injured my left wrist but I'll be using my right, and trying some one-handed contact, try to transcend the use of my limbs :P

will be cool to see you guys again, i havn't come since the first time you introduced me to everyone! Uni would be great but for all the work they make us do.

see you there smile

cHaRliE_27BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
thanks guys. yeh akg that would be great if you could ill pm you my email. so is it 5,30 at camcircus,

vampa i ll prob miss this week but def next time. ill txt u

it's not a beard, it's an animal iv trained to sit very still.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Yeah 5:30 ish at camcircus I should be there around then anyway, if you need directions to howard mallet pm me your number and I'll help you find the place

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Sorry I can't be there tonight, but it was wicked last week. I haven't giggled that much in forever - despite the " Don't you just hate poi" comment from the hat juggler man!

I'm leading the poi workshop tomorrow! Its madness seeing as I see myself as pretty lame at poi! Oh well - fingers crossed.

If anyone fancies a visit to Colchester next Sunday and would like to spin in a parade with me that would be great. Doing another one on Dec3rd if anyone prefers that???? - really - I think there are no other spinners in Colchester!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Hey peeps, just wonderng if anyone wants to come see the bluetones tonight, i have a spare ticket!!

if ya wanna come, my number is 07738371337

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Karen you are not lame at poi!! spank you rule! hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
hug Karen, good to hear it went well smile and spank for the lame at poi comment, Jo is right, you ROCK!

hug Jo, come and see us soon we miss you and Sym!!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
come and see us! hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
wave

Hiya all! Motley's pointed me here, I'll be in Bedford for a while and might go through to Cambridge for spinning some time... like maybe on Sunday? biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Hey Birgit bounce I will of course be around on sunday, as will vampyric acid (my bro), not sure about the others but i'll make some calls and encourage peeps to come. Theres always lots of nice juggly folk at camcircus anyway though, I'll send u a txt tomorrow to make sure you know where your going, if your unsure we can pick you up at the bus station on our way over.
EDITED_BY: Motley (1163849251)

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
hi guys! cant wait for camcircus again!

afterwards, at 9, FireTroupe will be having a mini firespin in Midsummer Common. I really want to dispel any notions that we're unsafe this year.

It would be great if you Camcircus (and anyone else) guys could come and meet us. I'll be going straight there after Camcircus.

(will it be ok to bring our equipment and paraffin (1 tub) and keep it on the side during camcircus? I don't want to have to walk back to Madingley Rd to get the stuff then tramp back to Midsummer Common!)

We provide glow and fire equipment and paraffin, it would be good if everyone who comes could contribute a couple of quid towards batteries and paraffin smile

Also, after hearing all the horror stories of unsafe-ness from last year, it would be good if you could give us some pointers. We'll proceed as we usually do when we have a fire muck-around, and would really appreciate feedback on how we operate - oh and definately no newbies on fire (i can't beleive that happened last year!) - we have glowy shiny poi and staff to spin.

So yeah - new year, new firetroupe, new toys, new tricks! I hope you can all come after Camcircus - Midsummer Common, 9-11pm. Thank you smile and see you at Camcricus

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Hi Ak, Yes I'm sure its fine bringing fire stuff to camcircus provided its all secure/not prone to leaks and is kept out of the way. Not sure I'll be able to make it down but will certainly do my best, if only for a short while. I'm sure any safety issues will be sorted out with you involved as you seem very keen to do that. ofc I'll give you any pointers I can in that respect but its mainly common sense, something which was somewhat lacking last year. There was on one occasion a bucket with some paper and paraffin in it was serving as warmth/toy lighting, the main problem with this was far far too much paraffin in the bucket which resulted in it being turned over to put it out at the end of the night and spreading hot paraffin everywhere, dangerous yes and also made quite a mess which im sure the authorities wouldnt appreciate, as I said though I'm sure that wont happen this year.

See you tomorrow,

Motley

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
bad for the environment too!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
yay biggrin better pick me up from the bus station though, I'm crap at finding my way in the dark.

Not sure when my colleague with the car and all my toys will be arriving, so I might not have fire stuff with me.

See y'all tomorrow bounce

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I work quite close to the bus station and will have to walk past it to find my way, so if you're gonna be there around 5 i'll PM you my number

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, thanks for coming to the firespin last week, everyone appreciated seeing and learning new skills! And it was fun!

Won't make Camcircus today - I have a plate full of Matrix Algebra to do frown wahh frown

But then I go back home to Canterbury the next friday so I won't see you all until next year (wow!) I get back on the 16th, I think thats a sunday, I'm not sure. But I'll see you all around then smile

Have a good christmas y'all!

angel - most christmassy emoticon i could find!

JettwilderbeastSILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
Hi guys!
I live in Cambridge (got to Hills road sixth form) I've been able to spin poi for a while but I recently started meteor poi and would greatly like to meet up with you all, It would be nice to spin with other people! Just let me know where and when and I'll be there!
Thanks
Ash

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
just dropping off my weekly consignment of grouphug for the cambridge people...

Ak: see you next year wink have a great Xmas!

Jettwilderbeast./Ash: check out https://www.camcircus.org/
for details on the camcircus meets on Sunday, there's bound to be some spinny/juggly types there, I expect they'll be hiding from the cold weather by now. I will be sadly unable to attend, as I'm in China til next summer. Give them all a big hug from me when you meet them though!

P.S ask Simon (vampyricacid) about meteors and ropedart stuff

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Hi Guy wave We are indeed hiding from the cold weather, we did meet up with the fire troupe guys for a burn 2 weeks ago though which was fun.

Jett, as Guy says, come along to camcircus, you'll find several spinners there most sundays as well as loads of other people, jugglers, unicyclists trapeze if your interested in any of that as well. I just tend to stand in the corner spinning my poi tho ubblol

Motley

226 posts

Posted:
:group hug:

Hi everyone,

Was great to see you all last week. Always brings a smile to my face to catch up!!!

Have my weird performance thing tomorrow here in Essex. They are going to just play some music for me to spin to and I tip them the nod when to finish!!! Very bizarre.

Hope to see you all before Xmas - maybe meet for a pre-camcircus drink or something!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

226 posts

Posted:
Performance cancelled due to full on weather - so in town very early! Bit gutted as quite looking forward to stretching my wings a bit! Still - I have a new pair of scary purple tights!

Hope you're all OK. *hugs* to everyone!

cHaRliE_27BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
hey i turned up to camcircus on sunday was good. but i dont no what any one looks like, next week come say hi im the one with the white poi and the long hair. did any one go that i should have said hi to???

it's not a beard, it's an animal iv trained to sit very still.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
grouphug

sorry, we apologise for the lack of posts in reply, Charlie, this is due to slackness on the board. We hope to resume normal service as soon as possible

wink

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Hey charlie, sorry for late reply, nah i dont think anyone went, but i'll def be there next week smile

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Slackers! wink

grouphug

Gayle.....!

Page: ......