Page: ......
Georgemember
3 posts

Posted:
Are there any other pyro types living in sleepy 'ol Cambridge these days?
Whats there to do in terms of fire spinning? Anyone want to meet up sometime and find out?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Hi Clo,

My house mate and I are going out to a pub tomorrow night in Cambs. You're welcome to join us and have a spin if you like.

Everyone else is invited too!

Where should we go? I'm not very good with pubs in Cambridge..

Simon - Can you drop Jo's tent off here over the weekend? hug Thanks mate.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Hi Sym,

Well, most of us have been on Parkers Piece on Sundays...not swanning off to festivals! Teehee...

I'm up for the pub tonight (i've got a day off from work so in Cams today) or tomorrow but have to head back to Colchester on Sunday night. Waaaaaa...

I had a couple of e-mails about volunteer opportunities for Secret Garden festival which I think is in Huntingdon. https://www.secretgardenparty.com/

Looks pretty.....

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I'll be there Sunday, cant make tonight tho cos ive got some mates coming here tomorrow.

Clo, most of us met through spinning I guess and have known each other for some time, ive known most of these guys for around a year I guess, except vamp cos hes my bro, unfortunately ive known him for 19 years ubblol only joking si, love you really hug

But yeah, just turn up on sunday nights, were usually somewhere along the fire station side of parkers piece, im sure you'll be able to spot us. CamCircus are also on parkers piece in the summer (see Charlies post above) so there should be quite a few people there

Sym, let me know if Simon hasnt sorted you out the tent and I'll bring it on Sunday.

Motley

HaadRinPoi06SILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
wave

Sunday is probably the best nite 4 me actually coz i dont work mondays cept for next week when im working all week frown

Otherwise, like week after this one, i will definitly show up....i'm quite normal lookin so i cudnt say of ne way 4 people 2 kno its me, cept if some strange girl suddenly comes along n just kinda smiles at all of u, then thats probably me! Don't b alarmed! biggrin

Clo xx peace

20 posts

Posted:
Also......i was told i shud buy some new poi coz i bought mine in Thailand (which is apparantly a bad thing), and i dnt kno which ones r probably best....they take like 2 weeks 2 get here so i shud prolly buy them now. Any ideas?

Clo xx peace

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend stainless steel ball chain and cathedrals to start with, but it's a real individual thing, different people like a different 'feel' to their poi, but I figure that setup is best if you're starting out. Personally I favour monkeyfist and ballchain, but they are more expensive to buy and hurt a lot more if you hit yourself. Oh and they weigh a lot if you're not used to them

a quick update...
 Written by: LazyAngel

Poi in the punt is scheduled for mid August, so far I'm thinking the 19th is probably the best day for it (that's a saturday) We're looking at taking out about 30-36 people (including cambridge people) so that would be 5-6 punts. I'd expect about 15 people to be from cambridge itself, at a push I should be able to fit about twenty people in my house for the night.

Location: DAY: cambridge, punts on the river NIGHT:(PM for details)should be possible to camp for the night

other details:
punting in the daytime will probably cost a few quid (about £2.50/hour with 6 people) provided we have punts filled with 6 people to share the cost.

Punting company details at https://www.scudamores.com/punting/yourself/index.php
P.S, if you get a punt, ask for a metal pole, they're much easier to use than the wooden ones!

night location is sometimes used for raves

Written by: Poi in the Punt attendees

LazyAngel and Winged Avenger
Matty B
Gayle and Neal
Mr Chutney
Vampyricacid
Motley
Sym and Jo
Afghan Bingo
Steve (another Cambridge bloke)
+2 others who came to PLAY sorry, I'm having a mental block on namess (Dave and Jeff?)
Helz Bellz biggrin biggrin
Pigeon_Wigeon (possibly)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Motley

hes my bro, unfortunately ive known him for 19 years ubblol only joking si, love you really hug

So much he forgot that im 20 haha hug

just noticed the message about the tent, my parents are going on holiday like...NOW so im carless until tom comes, so we'll bring it over when he gets here

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
heading down to Grantchester to play for a bit today if anyone's up for it..

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
it was wicked!!! await the relesase of the first of hopefully many "Grantchester Sessions" and i was wrong guy, its not the name of an album

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LazyAngel

Poi in the punt is scheduled for mid August, so far I'm thinking the 19th is probably the best day for it (that's a saturday) We're looking at taking out about 30-36 people (including cambridge people) so that would be 5-6 punts. I'd expect about 15 people to be from cambridge itself, at a push I should be able to fit about twenty people in my house for the night.

Location: DAY: cambridge, punts on the river NIGHT:(PM for details)should be possible to camp for the night

other details:
punting in the daytime will probably cost a few quid (about £2.50/hour with 6 people) provided we have punts filled with 6 people to share the cost.

Punting company details at https://www.scudamores.com/punting/yourself/index.php
P.S, if you get a punt, ask for a metal pole, they're much easier to use than the wooden ones!

night location is sometimes used for raves

Written by: Poi in the Punt attendees

LazyAngel and Winged Avenger
Matty B
Gayle and Neal
Mr Chutney
Vampyricacid
Motley
Sym and Jo
Afghan Bingo
Steve (another Cambridge bloke)
+2 others who came to PLAY sorry, I'm having a mental block on namess (Dave and Jeff?)
Pigeon_Wigeon (possibly)

frown No Poi in the Punt for me I'm afraid frown

It's my friends 1st wedding anniversary that weekend, I promised ages ago I'd go to their party.

Have a good one guys!!

hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
frown Helz!! We'll miss you so much!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
frown no fair! oh well I hope the party is good!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I've made a thread in events this is too much hassle to organise by PMs. Sorry guys!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Umm anyone up for anything this eve, or tomorrow ?

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Yes Matty! Def .. Guy is STILL asleep at the mo but give us a call in a bit. Have you watched the Granchester Sessions vid yet?

Its perfect spinning weather today.

Yay!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
lazy arse, and his phone is still off thats rubbish. . . I don't have your number karen . . .

Yup saw the vid twas very good

20 posts

Posted:
hello all! wave just a quick question....where does everyone get there parafin from? coz ive been absolutely everywhere lookin for some n ive got my performance in like 2 weeks time n havent yet practised with fire so im desperate 2 find some fuel!

help!!!!!!!

Clo xxx peace

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
you can get parrafin from the shell garage in trumpington, and from homebase in the business park on newmarket road. thats where i get mine. not sure of other places.

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Some garages sell paraffin (Q8 in Girton does, not sure which others). Garden centres are also usually a good bet. If your coming down on a sunday let me know and I can pick you some up if you have trouble getting hold of it.

hope to see you next weekend

Motley

20 posts

Posted:
hallo!

I finally got some parafin, but thanks for ur help...i dnt even kno where its from coz my blokes dad got it for me, cant believe how cheap it is!!!

So i got some practice started but lo n behold, it was crap!!! The flame lasted less than 2 minutes frown but i did do it during the day coz i was unsure of myself-safety first of course! so i tried it at night too and again they only lasted about 2 minutes so i bought some new ones 'cathedral' something or other, and im hoping they'll last a bit longer......any thoughts????

Clo xx peace

pyrojuliaBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hello Clo,

Hallo everyone else too - seems a long time ago I last went to Parker's Piece. Anyway I was going to add Mackays as another place for parafin (big hardware shop across East Road from back of Grafton Centre.

Hope punting trip goes well everyone.

A good soak makes fire last a bit longer but mine don't last all that long either. Am I right that monkey's fist last longer? I was thinking of investing in those one of these days.

Julia

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Hi Julia wave, long time no see. Monkey fists do last a bit longer because of their low surface area:volume ratio the flames tend to be slightly smaller than equal sized cathedrals as a result tho (not really noticably).

Clo, not sure what your poi are like or where you bought them so its hard to tell. It really depends how big the wicks are, what shape they are (cathedral, tube core or monkey fist) and the quality of the wicks. Sounds like you already bought some new ones, so give those a go and how they work out. Not sure if its my imagination but I think mine burn longer now than when I bought them so you might see a slight increase in burn time after 3 or 4 burns, not promising anything though wink

Motley

20 posts

Posted:
a-ha! I c! ubbidea I will try that out!

My old ones were from Thailand, and were quite small and made out of this weird almost powdery sort of wick confused but i had 2 get some new ones anyway coz someone told me thai ones r abit unreliable safety wise n i dnt wnt 2 b lobbin poi heads at anyone at my sisters wedding!! tongue

I was actually really worried about using my new ones b4 the wedding coz i thought if customs checks my suitcase (re:this airport high alert thing) and sees these burnt out things that may look suspiciously like weapons to the untrained eye umm then i mite find my self in an interesting predicament! but i will try with them b4 goin n e way.....thats if this bloomin rain stops anytime this year!

Thanx!!

Clo xx peace

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Yeah I've heard bad things about poi from thailand. I would avoid using them all together, especially now you have an alternative.

As for travelling with poi that have been used before, dry them out as much as possible. Wrap them up really well in plastic and try and take a photo of you/someone spinning and attach it to them. That way if someone finds them and thinks they are a bit suspect the picture will help explain what they are and you'll stand a better chance of getting them back. I know people have travelled with poi sucessfully but with the hightened security at the moment its best not to take any chances.

Motley

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
yo, this is probs a bit late notice, but i cant make it tomorrow, am working 4-10. the bastards!!!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

20 posts

Posted:
Hello! wave

Ive just got back from Cyprus where i went for my sisters wedding, and just thought i'd pop in n mention that my FIRST EVER proper poi performance went really really well. So thank u to all of u that gave me advice n help n stuff. I was absolutely terrified at first but i just kept reminding myself to keep calm and relax and i did n it went really well.

There were about a couple of 100 guests there and because it was in a hotel there were also random people out eating there dinner so it was pretty packed but im chuffed that i did it. So thanx again for all the help u lot have given me! biggrin

thankx

Clo xxx peace

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Cool, well done Clo, glad to hear it went well. Now all that remains is for you to come down on a sunday and have a spin with us! biggrin

Motley

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
don't expect me on sunday, i have a throat infection, and cant talk

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
* has gone surfing *

20 posts

Posted:
Hey motley,

I keep reminding myself that i shud but its well hard for me coz i live in Stradishall (near Highpoint prison) and i don't drive so its 2 buses 2 get to cambs and the last bus back 2 strad is at like 5o'clock!....so u see my predicament biggrin I will try tho.

Clo xx peace

Page: ......