ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

So flowers and sticks.

Spin

Antispin

How many types are they?

Can you do them with crosses (mcp, any luck?)

dafodils or tulips?

smile

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
tulips all the way, especially in bud wink

Been toying with these since Falmouth, i find butterly flowers easier to go into from half spins (my avatar).

Also the whole turning parallel flowers is getting there (same direction) just need more sun so i can use the shadow to practice my lines!

As for others, i guess fishtail carry flowers are possible confused

MCP?

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
wtf? what is a fishtail carry flower? surely flowers can't have carries in them - or can they? confused

With pixie sticks I do butterfly flowers and f/w and rev weave flowers (which should be parallel but aren't) or should they? hmm......... antispin is going to take a while.......

aren't all the poi variations poss. with doubles?

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
when you turn a fish tail fluff you "carry" over the top or bottom high or low - like when the arms do a flower high and low smile

just me using the term carry as esencially thats what your doing with the staff

smile

get with it eh ubbloco

wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I can do butterfly flowers, and alternate time parralel flowers, both inelegantly, but butterfly ones look nicer even when done badly...

(With doubles obviously) The butterfly ones are more interesting cos they be harder.

I'm not sure about flowers with sticks yet, it annoys me that with poi flowers, the poi always stay on the outside, but with sticks, a figure of eight has to be done to keep em spinning.

Haven't tried windmill flowers yet, nor have I found out if they look like flowers, or just crazy circle things.

Antispin: Haven't tried yet, but do know that (normal - non-contact) longarm, doubles butterfly antispin is possible. (Not a flower though, yet)

and for future reference: People asking me things! Woooooo! biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
because your becoming god like with your staffs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yeah but their not fishtails anymore then are they smile

i've got a nice wheel plane flower but i dont think you can do it with long sticks as it has to pass under your arm.

start with on stick in forwards fig 8 wheel plane

on the down swing use a low reverse double spin to bring it under your arm pit and circle the arm back and up over your head back into for Fig 8. makes a nice big continious circle.

rinse and repeat.

twice if your doing it with two sticks

smile

Love is the law.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
oh ok - not 'carry' as in clubs/poi...... ubbloco .... wink

butterfly flowers.................... me love muchly - favourite tiny doubles move......

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
How do u do flowers with a staff?!? or do u need doubles?

And is wheel plane the same as busssaw plane? Or is it the "front" wall pane? wink
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1112940465)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Wheel plane is what happens when you stick your arm straight out from your shoulder. That doesnt help at all does it.

Wall plane is what happens when you stand in front of a wall. Wheel plane is the other one.

Wait, your right. its the buzzsaw plane. But a buzzsaw is only one wheel. like unicycle or one of those weird cars.

Now would any of you fancy flower folk explain what a butterfly flower is?

also

f/w and rev weave flowers?

and

alternate time parralel flowers?

unt

turning parallel flowers?

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
hey ado-p

i thought you were a man of wisdom and knowlege of the flower wink

Butterfly flowers:

are when you one are circle clockwise and the other ciclres anticlockwise, the arms meet at 12 and 6 olclock smile

Weave Flowers:

not 100% on this one as i would say its the same as parrelel flowers, but basicall your arms draw big circles in the same direction execpt they are always opposite eachother - ie. 12 and 6 - 9 and 3, 7 and 1 etc. (picture clock face and you will get it).

The thing with these is that when doing this move with doubles you can keep the sticks paralel all the time (bloody hard to keep perfect)

I find that doing these slowly helps loads, when my hands reach 1 and 7 oclock the staffs should be drawing a straight line smile diagonally from 1 to 7............

turning parallel flowers:

These are basically the above with turns, you can turn at anytime during a flower motion but i find it easier to turn when your arms ar one hig one low - like 1 and 7 above smile

After reading the above you must appreciate that its early, im half asleep, flowers are a new thing to me and i like clocks smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yes, but what about all the other folk who only know flowers as one of those poi things.. wink or worse, colorfull plants......

So a butterfly flower is in front wall plane with both arms making big circles away from each other? no extra beats or fancy stuff?

Weave flowers? Wheel plane? I dont see where the weave is? Maybe like a giant weave with poi? This is pretty much what i described above i think except im adding an extra beat on each side.

I'm trying for turning parrallelllllll flowers. keeping them even is a pain and i find it easier with long sticks. Maybe because they go slower and i can see more of the stick. Im also trying to add in extra beats with low double spins on this . This changes the timing all odd but i think there is something there.

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i think you could be right, extra beats are possible just confusing....... i find that keeping the staffs parralel is easier if i concentrate on my thumbs, because in theory if they are going the smae way then the sticks should be roughly straight rolleyes

Still i think flowery doubles should be part of the Uberstaff workshop fun
biggrin

Infact im going to go suggest it now!

**wanders off**

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i do the thumb thing too. expeshily for one beats.

though i use my index finger for fig 8's

Love is the law.

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

Still i think flowery doubles should be part of the Uberstaff workshop fun

Totally agree Strugz wink

just my 2 euro cents about planes & flowa
you can move circles
1- in 2 parallel planes (front & btb for instance) , or
2- in the same plane

1. here I see two possibilities:
each staff is always in the same plane, e.g. basic side plane flowa
the staves swap planes at each 1/2 turn , e.g. wall-plane flowa with crossers (opposite shoulder, opposite hip)

2. these is to deal with pirouette turn (btb wall plane, or front side plane ...)

I'm doing extra circles (when a position/line is locked-out) using finger manipulation

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Nice one Olive

Starting to make a bit more sense to me now.

Flower Power for Uberstaff!!!!

Love is the law.

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
cheers mate:)

I have not talked about buzzsaw plane, as I'm not using short-staff, which makes it pretty dangerous:
but I can fancy buzzsaw flowa with short staves, or inside planes (between head and raised arm, or between hip & downswinged arm)