Forums > Social Discussion > Glowstringing, Fact or Fiction?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Just curious, how do you guys view glowstringing?

couple questions to focus/start off the discussion:

Is glowstringing and poi one and the same or different? If it's different then how do you define glowstringing and seperate the two?

Do glowstringers have a unique set of moves outside of traditional poi moves?

Should the difference in each tool/medium (glowstring vs sock poi vs fire poi) be emphasized? Or should all of them be spun the same way?

How do you define/develop style and originality in poi? Should the same principles of style and originality be applied to glowstringing? Or can glowstringing have their own principles and methodologies?

Are there differences in cultural background and philosophy between poi and glowstringing?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ok, my contribution.

I havent seen many glowsticking vidoes.

One the ones I have seen (2002 chicago thingy that everyone loves) my impression is that it is wrapwrapwrapwrapairwrapairwrapwraphyperloopwrapwrapwrapwrapwrap

I think I would describe the differnece between poi and glowsticking, is like the difference between a snickers, and a snickers ice cream. They are both the same thing fundamentally, but are totally different.

and without sounding patronising, i beleive that someone who watchs someone spinning glowsticks, then poi, will think the glowstick are easier.. due to the wraps. Unless its some crazy sick ass sty-lee stuff.

Kids (yes.. 15-19) year olds at raves or clubs, if they see someone glowsticking, can easily copy them... glowsticks and shoelaces and enough alcohol so that you cant feel them hitting you...

not that im saying all glowstickers look drunk...

confused

Well.. back to the mayhem..

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Jo
EDITED_BY: Jo (1112893823)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Oh yes.
That 2002 video is superb

smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*loses fluffiness for brief moment

Glowstringers/poists who "battle" are silly egotists indeed. It's a truly funny story if I tell you how they got kicked off gs.c, for the one I speak of won't be posting on HoP until he has another editted video to show off. Perhaps over PM?

*smiles again

While editted videos are nice and show you crazy things that can be done, uneditted videos gives you the more precise view of who the people really are.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm going to run in and say a few words, and then I'm out of this thread, beacause I've allready had enough from gs.c.

WARNING PERSONAL OPINION IS NOW STARTED

The difference between poi and glowsticking is the tool used. Just as certain people call themselves, fire poi-ists, because they use fire or sock poi-ists becasue they use sock poi, we are glowstickers/glowstringers because we use glowsticks.

In my mind, it is the tool that makes a different name. I can do the same wrap combos and other glowsticking moves with sock poi, but as soon as I pick up those sock poi, I am no longer glowsticking, I am poi-ing.

As it has been stated before, the object that you spin also influences your style. Glowstickers will always have a tendancy to go faster because the weight on the end is lighter and if you try to go as slow as poi can the glowstick will fall out of it's rotation. Poi will always be better at isolations and other moves like that because the weight is heavier and it's easier to do those moves with heavier objects on the end.

So in review so everyone can understand my stance, the naming depends on the object you are spinning. As soon as you use glowsticks, you are glowsticking even if you only use poi moves you are still glowsticking.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Adrillf

The difference between poi and glowsticking is the tool used. Just as certain people call themselves, fire poi-ists, because they use fire or sock poi-ists becasue they use sock poi, we are glowstickers/glowstringers because we use glowsticks.

In my mind, it is the tool that makes a different name. I can do the same wrap combos and other glowsticking moves with sock poi, but as soon as I pick up those sock poi, I am no longer glowsticking, I am poi-ing.

that line of logic doesn't follow.

following the argument in your first paragraph, if you pick up sock poi you are not just poi-ing but 'sock poi-ing'.

i span glowsticks on strings before i knew sh!t about the american scene.

was i glowsticking then without my knowledge, or was i just simply poi-ing with glowsticks...?

i.e. why does glowsticking get set aside from all the other poi tools - why is it not glowstick poi-ing?

using your reasoning adrillf, if i spin clubs with a length of string attached, am i clubswinging, poi-ing or clubpoi-ing?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Names are crap.

In general.

But very useful.

smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

was i glowsticking then without my knowledge, or was i just simply poi-ing with glowsticks...?

i.e. why does glowsticking get set aside from all the other poi tools - why is it not glowstick poi-ing?

using your reasoning adrillf, if i spin clubs with a length of string attached, am i clubswinging, poi-ing or clubpoi-ing?

cole. x

Yup.

My point exactly.

I think the GS.C admins would say you were "poiing with glowsticks" because you are not spinning with a style that they have defined as "glowsticking".

I really don't understand WHY GS.C is trying to establish autonomy. I never really found the need to establish myself as a "Burningman regional style burner with strong UK influences"...

Also (hang on, I think I've got an actually inteligent point coming on) Glowsticking/SockPoi/FirePoi are all subsections of larger communities which are very different. If y'all allow me to generalize, Glowsticking is a subsection of the clubbing community, American Firespinning a subsection of Burningman Community, UK Sock poi a subsection of Juggling Community, Ceremonial Maori Poi a subsection of the Traditional Maori Culture.

The differences in the COMMUNITIES are what drives the differences in the art forms.

(See, I'm deep every once in a while)

If the community playing in the clubs wasn't listening to faster music in the dark than the community playing in the fields during the weekends, they wouldn't spin their glowsticks so fast. They wouldn't do wraps. Isn't it logical for the community meeting sunday afternoon to spin pretty socks and the community spinning in dark clubs to spin glowsticks? Isn't it logical for the community influenced by jugglers to constantly push the technical envelope? Isn't it logical for the community driven by huge artistic events and "Radical Self Expression" to focus on spontaneous presentation and performance? A pair of pink and orange sock poi would be just as ineffective in a dark indoor rave in Chicago as a pair of glowsticks would in a field on a Sunday afternoon in London. And both of those would be totally unnoticed in a huge playa in the desert at midnight.

OK, now here's the point where coleman says exactly the same thing and everyone agrees with him. wink

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
NYC, you are right (again - yawn... wink )

but you never mention:

'The Arches, Sheffield' poi.

I'm going to shorten the name of this autonomous community to:

'UK acid techno, jungle, oldschool hardcore, rock, house, hardhouse, trance, psi-trance, dub, and breakbeat poi' if no objections... ?

Did I miss a uk club/rave scene there? sorry if I did.. biggrin

Jo. wink wink
EDITED_BY: Jo (1112902905)

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
here's a post by me from more than a year ago:

Written by: mixinluv2u

I think that fire poi and glowstringing are just different. For starters, the apparatus are different. (wick vs. glowstick, chain vs. shoelace.)

Someone else mentioned earlier that glowstringers who swing glowsticks as "glowsticks" instead of using them as a "fire substitute" have a different look to them, a different style. They approach this tool differently from the start, and I totally agree.

I think one aspect that hasn't been discussed here is to explore each tool (fire poi & glowstring) deeper. Ask yourself: What can you do with one that you can NOT do with the other? For example, the weight of the poi and chain allows for better isolations. On the other hand, the bounce in shoelaces and the lightness of glowsticks allows for more intricate and complex wrap combos.

While we are on the topics of wraps, I felt that people on this message board look down on wraps because they are "easier to learn" than any poi moves. I do agree with that statement, ONLY if you look at each wrap as an individual move also. Please be open-minded and let me argue for glowstringers for a second (since I am one of those glowstringers who swing glowsticks as "glowsticks" and NOT using them as a "fire substitute.")

Each warp is simple. It is so simple that it allows you to put them together and create something greater... like Voltron or Lego. It allows you to put them together in any way you like - the freedom of combo construction. Once a combo is constructed, you now have a "move" that you can call your own (as opposed to a set of moves such as weave, windmill, etc, for traditional poi.) Maybe it's this sense of achievement, and freedom for creativity of glowstringing that won me over (as compared to fire poi).

Don't get me wrong, no disrespect towards poi here. Poi is fun and great, just like glowstringing, but in a different way. You have to use different tools differently to find the full potential of each.

Last but not least, since I am a firm believer that action speaks more than words, I hope that you would be so kind and take couple minutes to check out a video of mine that I made almost a year ago with an open mind. See if what I just talked about (combo construction, breaking away the stereotypes of glowstring as a "bastardization of poi," and what not) can become more clear and apparent. Thanks!

Click [Old link] to go to my video thread.

this is quoted from a thread here on HoP "Glow vs Fire" you can find the original thread by going to the link below:

[Old link]

check out the comments in that thread by the veteran poi-ers too and come back here to discuss further.

i think one very important distinction that came from that discussion were the people who spun glowsticks as "fire/poi substitues" and those that spun glowsticks as glowsticks.

what do you think?

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

yes, those that post on gs.c are mainly male.

The female glowstickers already have boyfriends, and we scare them away. wink

We do? I don't have a boyfriend! I feel cheated.

I don't really see the need to bring this up on HoP. We've beaten this topic to death in several ways over on gs.c already. I guess some people need technical definitions of things, but I say let's all just be our hippy and/or raver stuff and dance and be happy. weavesmiley

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
i already know how Glowsticking.com see glowstringing, and i know how Jo sees it. but i wanted to see a wider range of perspectives. i wanted to see how HoP community see glowstringing, fire poi, and sock poi. that's why this topic was started here.

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
What about those of us without a community? Are we just mucking about with chains and orbiting objects? [judging from what I look like sometimes, yes]

It seems there's a decent number of us newbies on HoP who find our way here because we don't have or aren't part of a local community. As we pick up bits here and there, particularly when we don't really know where the information or techniques come from, it seems that the different art forms will become bastardized. Is that a bad thing?

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
gs.c and HoP are definately not local communities. Both offer friendship and advice to those who are interested in learning more. Both sites are global, while HoP may seem based in Austrailia/Europe, gs.c is based more in the US.

Also, I'm not aware that where the information or techniques come from matter, as long as you don't have a big head about it. It is not in the nature of what I would deem proper poists or glowstringers to "claim" moves that other people can or cannot do.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
"It is not in the nature of what I would deem proper poists or glowstringers to "claim" moves that other people can or cannot do."

I didn't mean particular "moves." Seems that ideally poi and glowstringing are more cooperative arts - that whole 'teaching, sharing, exchanging ideas' thing that was mentioned earlier. (which I find to be very true about HoP, btw)

Rather, that the different 'schools' (or communities, as NYC defined them) will become less distinct as crossover becomes more common. For example, NYC states he is an American but heavily influenced by the London style. He knows enough to be aware of the way the styles developed by those communities interact or what he picks up and keeps out of each one.

On the other hand, people like me don't know the history of it, couldn't identify an American vs. a London poi'er except by the accent, and have never seen a Maorian ceremony. Just from this thread I feel like I've learned more about poi and glowstick and related arts philosophy than in the 4 mos. I've been doing this. I saw a couple of guys spin fire several weeks ago that, now, I would identify as glowstickers with fire, because their style is very much what's been described here as typical glowsticking. And in the same performance were several people I would say are primarily American free expression type poi'ists. Had I not seen this thread, who knows when or if I would have understood that.

I guess it's a very common issue of passing down knowledge and traditions, etc. And with globalization, so many aspects of traditional (or modern but fringe-ish) cultures are being usurped, modified, or wiped out. So it's not really a poi or glowstick-specific issue. I just wondered if it's something that poi-ists and/or glowstickers think or care about, since it seems there is a lot of interest in identifying and defining the communities.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: mixinluv2u

i already know how Glowsticking.com see glowstringing, but i wanted to see a wider range of perspectives. i wanted to see how HoP community see glowstringing, fire poi, and sock poi. that's why this topic was started here.

The HoP administration does not dictate the philosophy of the site so you'll find a wider range of folks. ubbangel From the one (poor) guy in alaska to the hundreds of London folks that reak up the place every day. wink

Whether some of us realize it or not, there are key members of this site and communities that greatly influcence it's art. This site is HEAVILY UK poi influenced both in it's origin and today.

I'm not saying that the UK invented it. Nor are they better at it than anyone in particular (so put your Boomerangs down wink ) but I think that the UK NETWORK has provided many of the movers and shakers the opportunity to build off each other.

I think many of the folks who learned on HoP are desciples of folks like Glass, Bluecat, Coleman, Dom, PK, Jo and tons of others... it trickled down and around. Whether or not Glass has ever met Kael, I can literally trace the path of technical knowledge down from one to the other.

Hot spots like Texas and California provide meccas for poi to explode and migrate to other places.

I think that in all my travels, I've never had anyone try to circle any one of those communities and say "This is X and we are our own entity, different than everyone else"... (except the Maori).

So, I don't think you're going to get a clear "This is London Poi" or "This is Burningman poi" or "This is Austrailian Poi" because I dont' think any other community has felt any need to break off and create artificial boundaries. In fact, I see many communities purposely looking for inspiration elsewhere...

Especially for a guy like me who has SO many influences. I'd say I'm right plop in the middle of UK influences, Burningman influences and Glowsticking influences.

I do way more wraps than any other firespinner I know but way less than any glowsticker I know.

Which is why I found it VERY jarring when I got to GS.C and was told that glowsticking is independant from all other forms of poi.

And maybe it's good for me to hash this all out here among friends, because maybe that's my main point. By claiming that Glowsticking is independant from all other Poi, you're saying I gotta choose which one I am. And I'm unwilling to accept that stipulation. Even if I'm a low level 99% Burningman Wannabe Firespinner.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
"Glowsticking.com does not dictate philosophies, we simply ask that our work and vision to be RESPECTED. "

Wow. ubbtickled

Don't make me comment on your 'respect' for poi, Wes.

or on the 'we do not dictate philosophies' bit...

Just tell us which of the catagories (a,b,c, or d)

you think glowstringing is in, or actually counter something instead of using canned defences, and we'll take it from there.

you poor victim you. ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Jo.

ps:

Wes: "i wanted to see how HoP community see glowstringing, fire poi, and sock poi. that's why this topic was started here."

That is not why this topic was started.

Don't lie it's naughty spank

EDITED_BY: Jo (1112912923)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
here's my take... (you knew I'd post here eventually)

poi- to put as generically as possible.. weight on something limp... let your imagination wander.. why do I use such a vague description? because that is what poi is... Poi is generic.. its universal.. poi is not a trump of types and nor are the styles of poi to be considered BASTARDIZATIONS... rope dart is not a bastardization.. neither is meteor.. neither are sock poi, nor traditional poi, fire poi, or glowstringing.. or anything else for that matter.. why do I say this? because each of these schools of poi teach a certain style.. they take a tool and they develop that tool in a particular way.. what unites them? they are all poi.. ie.. they are all weights on string (or something similar..)

what does this mean for glowstringing.. it pretty clearly dilineates what glowstringing is and can be.. how? because glowstringing is a style of poi that uses glowing objects.. (please spare me the objections about how anything that emits light is glowing.. ) fire is not glowing... not in the sense of glowstringing.. so are there limtis on glowstringing? yes... what are they? that it be poi, and that it glows.. That is all.. you can't glowstring without something glowing.. on something stringlike..

is there anything more to glowstringing? yes and no.. yes there is.. as there is with any style of anything.. there is a culture and there is a history.. no there are no limits or exclusions.. these are simple rules.. much like the simple (yet somehow misunderstood) concepts of poi....

it is often taken that something can be done with a tool that cannot be done with other tools.. and this is first and foremost the biggest mistake that one can make.. there ARE NO ONLY MOVES and there ARE NO EXCLUSIONS to what can be done and still becalled poi (or glowstringing.. ) the only things one needs are the tools and the drive...

What makes glowstringing stand out, is the tools that it employs and the culture that employs it... Glowstringing is a form of dance... its an art... Glowstringing is in many respects different from the rest of poi.. hence why it is a STYLE.. Glowstringing should be seen in its own right just as any other style (rope-dart, meteor, traditional, etc.) To say that glowstringing is something unique is to give it culture the credence it deserves.. To call glowstringing different is to hallmark its uniqueness amoung its brethren... to call glostringing special is to give it its own paradigm..

HOWEVER... it should not be misconstrued that glowstringing is -not poi-... this is a gross misrepresentation of the topic at hand.. Like glowstringing ropedart also has a rich culture.. and like glowstringing ropedart is a style in its own right.. but glowstringing is not ropedart.. same goes for fire poi, tradiotnal poi, csock poi, and any other culutre you like to compare.. but it need be understood that these are all forms of POI.. to say that glowstringing is poi is not to detract anything from its uniqueness or its culture.. poi is not a culture that trumps these various schools.. rather poi is a term that groups these schools by their unique character.. poi is a term that has many connotations.. when I say poi, most people think fire.. some people think glowstringing.. some ropedart.. others food. these are all examples of what poi can mean.. when I speak of poi in this generic sense I am not spekaing of any particular kind.. to denote a type of poi specifically is to ignore the other schools, each of whihc hold equal weight... the generic use of the word poi merely refers to the tool, whihc if used, places you in that context.. the same way using socks, puts you into the sock style... fire puts you in the traditional style.. and glowy things put you in the glowy style.. you simply cannot do fire style with glow poi.. nor can you do glow style with fire poi.. this is not to say that you cannot use moves from either school.. we are only saying that the schools are based on certain tools.. I simply cannot be part of the fire school without fire poi..

So why did I feel the need to type all this.. because I think people need to read it.. most of you know it.. many of you live it.. but some.. some are still confused.. and they take their art and the art of others out of context.. people talk of tool only traits and other nonsensical rubbish... they fail to realize that the tool defines the style... not the movement.. in the end, the moves are all the same.. but the dance is different.. and that's why we all like our own particular schools.. I myself am a glowstringer.. the glow culture is the culture that I am a part of.. Glowstringing is how I express myself.. it is how I dance.. and one of the things that I like most about my art is the fact that I can meet up with people who share my interest.. regardless of what their culture is or what tool they prefer.. Its kinda like making music.. it doesnt matter what instrument you play.. the music is all the same.. same notes.. same keys... same timing... but its all in what tool you choose to make you music with..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
like i said when i started this topic, i already know how Glowsticking.com, myself, and Jo see this topic. and i wish to see how other people here view this.

i do have respect for poi. myself and others at Glowsticking have mentioned that many many many times. also stated very clearly in the article linked above.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
lmmfao

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I think the linked threads show clearly why the thread was started.. and exactly how much respect are had for those that do poi..

ubblol

please jo.. do not mock the sincerity that was recieved when visiting gs.c... remmeber.. their section is 'glowstringing and poi.' they love us too.. wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Easy Jo, this is what got us all into trouble in the first place.

I also think there's a difference between "respecting your work" (which I most definitely do) and "respecting your work and never expressing opinions that don't agree with it."

I've definitely feel pressure of the latter during my stay there... That pressure has pushed me into this very uncomfortable position that I'm in now. I definitely feel awkward on GS.C because I feel pressured to "Know my role and shut my mouth" about things that don't conform directly with the administration.

Everytime I have politely express my belief that I am a "c" or "d" person I have been addressed by the administration. I am not a "b" person by Jo's definition. I've said it many times. And because of that, I don't feel comfortable speaking my mind.

I've never ever had this pressure before, which is why I'm so startled by it. When I got to London the first time, the posse sure as heck didn't say "I know you're from the US but we're gonna ask that you not discuss your views of Poi unless they agree with our own."

In fact I've never felt anything like that in any other community or hobby I've ever participated in.

So if you wanna throw that in to your mix of "differences between us and them" feel free.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:

censored censored censored ubblol ubbrollsmile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Oh my, that's swell. I don't agree with your opinions but I respect your position. Others- we shall let them read and judge as they will. I will not get defensive or mock merely because you do not agree with my viewpoint. You have your experiences and I have mine.

Serious, some people in this thread just have lack of respect: for poi, for glowstringing, most of all for people. What's up with you?

NYC, I'm feeling the pressure from both sides as well. I don't even know why there is a "debate". We should be off practicing and proving the thoughts and things we say during the debate instead of repeating ourselves over and over.

meh. I'm off to turn up the music and bust some strings and socks. You fellas have fun.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
"Easy Jo, this is what got us all into trouble in the first place."

ok... but it wasn't -me- in the first place just to clarify...

smile

NYC that post was awesome and

Jo. ditto 100% (minus the 1% stated above... wink )

PS Kael... yes it would be great if we never have to go through debates like this. Should we get everything in the open and shut up about it? Or carry on like we are?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ditto

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Written by: munkypunks

What about those of us without a community? Are we just mucking about with chains and orbiting objects? [judging from what I look like sometimes, yes]

It seems there's a decent number of us newbies on HoP who find our way here because we don't have or aren't part of a local community. As we pick up bits here and there, particularly when we don't really know where the information or techniques come from, it seems that the different art forms will become bastardized. Is that a bad thing?

No. The fire-swinging community is probably 3x bigger than the glowstringing community. You guys are just as "cool" or "important" (as if it's impotant) as glowstringing, just nobody has had the time to make a site to explain it all. Getting people to spend a lot of time to do something like that is pretty rare. HomeofPoi evolved over time the same way glowsticking.com did.

You say bastardized, I say change and evolve. And in two posts, I will explain.
EDITED_BY: Cynicdave1 (1112919532)

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Hey NYC, hypothetically:

If someone was to say in a lot of posts here whenever it comes up, that fire-swinging isn't really poi and doesn't belong on homeofpoi.com. Like those maori people. How about if a maori person says something about it's bastardizing their culture (but in a polite intellectual way)..

What would happen over time if that person was single-minded in repeating this opinion over and over?

How about if that person increasingly became frustrated and started acting snidely whenever someone started to disagree. Lets say this person created 6-7 flame threads with most of them being this "pro-maori, anti-fire" mentality.

How about if this person started linking to competitor sites, saying, hey guys, why don't you post on houseofmaori.com for THE place for real good tutorials and explanations.

How about if they started mocking fire, saying stuff like, "Poi doesn't burn" and they put it into their signature.

Wouldn't you be a bit annoyed? How about if the administration admonished this person saying he shouldn't be doing all of this?

And some other random Maori people who really weren't acting like jerks become angry, because they see it as an anti-maori thing, when it really isn't.

That's the same way.

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Here is the argument, in simplified terms:

- Poi isn't defined as object at end of string. Otherwise, we would be putting in a whole set of other swinging professions.

- Poi is defined in part by culture. The Maori culture.

- Since poi was invented, a lot of people have brought the field far.

- Stuff the Maori people wouldn't even fathom. But people have continued to call it Poi, because that's where it was derived from. In part, Homeof "poi" is a bit of a misnomer. It includes a lot of other fields which aren't even named yet. In fact, the website says so, adding "And Fire swinging"

Objections: Why do we need to "differentiate"?

Differentiation allows us to explain things better. That's why we label species. Why do we differentiate between football and rugby, hockey and ice hockey, saxaphone and a flute, cricket and baseball?

Answer: Because it's convenient to. Doesn't mean people can't use concepts from one of the other and educate themselves, but it's help when we describe things.

Why does glowsticking.com differentiate? Well because glowsticking is practiced mostly at raves, and we don't want competitions and we want tolerance, so we have to at least get the culture clear. So we call glowstringing "glowstringing" and hopefully it'll tell people the roots, and thus the culture of glowstringing.

To NYC:

Yes, we admit that other swinging fields are just as diverse. Just like how the difference between rugby and football is small compared to the overall field of ball sports like soccer. To everyone who want to study a particular style, go ahead!

Question: Why don't we just do EVERYTHING. Why do we have to name something glowstringing and just do that? Isn't that limiting?

Answer: Yes. very limiting. In fact, it's tremendous sacrifice sometimes to just use glowsticks on a string. You can't do certain moves as well as regular poists can. But you can gain some real benefits as well.

Reason.. why?: Well I guess it's the same reason why artists call some things "surrealist" or "cubist". it gives us a framework.

The same reason why ballet dancers and tap dancers decide to differnetiate and institute limitations.

Here is a another question:

Why do ballet dancers and tap dancers differentiate themselves?

Answer: Because you can't possibly learn EVERYTHING in life. Or have the time. So would you rather good at a lot of things, or REALLY good at one cool thing that really appeals to you, or like most people do you want to concentrate on swinging fire (or led's or glowsticks) and REALLY learn how to do that one thing that appeals to you well. Because they all got different aspects to them. with fire, it's fire, so it can burn. maybe you need to use heavy chains. I don't know. But when you really start thinking about things you can do with fire, you will, and the same with glowsticks. You can do a lot of things with it that's just not the same as "poi. We borrow more from yo-yoing and (Freehand) glowsticking. Sure, we are at an infantile stage, but give us a break, it's our 3rd year of having a website. Give us a year or two to come up with "pure" glowstringing. someone decided, hey I can paint this picture using lots of dots instead of strokes on canvas. I'm sure his first work wasn't all that great. In fact, maybe he finished up the painting using strokes.

Doesn't mean people like Picasso can't do a lot of things in their life. Like OnewheelDave when he described about juggling and poi (and it seems animosities exist everywhere). People like Picasso go into different artistic phases. But usually it seems people choose one or the other.

Why does glowsticking.com exist? Well because there's a lot of people glowsticking.

Why are there so many debates on the site? Well, because people like to argue the other side, like Jo. I'm really begining to sour on Jo, because he says he respects our position but I can see he really doesn't, especially when I read throgh posts here. There is always a sneering,snideful way he presents our arguments, like he wants to make us look stupid. I think you should stop. I mean, you ask yourself, why do people get so heated-- well it's because you are on glowsticking.com arguing your point. If I went to homeofpoi and told all you guys that you should all be glowstriinging, i think there would be a lot of heat, too. Lets say everyone was polite, but then I keep saying that in every post I can find. How about worse, if I said all stringing was stupid and not a dance and I hated all stringers so I am getting out a pair of scisccors to chop off the strings becsause one of them hit me in the head once.

We have a lot of moderation on glowsticking.com., but we keep the forum atmosphere mostly relaxed. It's POLICY to let heated arguments go on. But after awhile, we all have out limits, and I'm okay with banning people who just don't respect the position above. I don't own a real store and i won't lose any business if people get angry.

So basically, glowstringing belongs in category A of the whole wide field that involves a string with something tied to it. Martial arts, yo-yos.

I just think it's funny that people are "poi-optic" in their viewpoints. Who are you guys to say we aren't, right? Let us have our fun, and you have your own. I mean, what pleasure or purpose do you get on going to glowsticking.com to start debates, right?

Anyway, I'm being hypocritical being here, but I just couldn't resist. I'm sure Jo will have a snappy response.
EDITED_BY: Cynicdave1 (1112919726)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Assorted rambling’s wink

To answer your question Cole. …… if i spin clubs with a length of string attached, am i clubswinging, poi-ing or clubpoi-ing?

Clubswinging Cole, what else wink err any comments OWD?

It seems to me like one section of the swinging community is looking for recognition as a group with their own idenity, and hey that’s fine. But if as NYC says, people regard “poiing with glowsticks as different to glowsticking" then that’s a rather negative and parochial attitude to have when we are all “basically” doing the same thing.

I agree with Spanner, who said it best I don't see glowsticking as being any different to poi and I don't see the big deal about defining them as different. clap

I think some of the confusion arises because people keep insisting on trying to put things into boxes, and imo we misuse the word poi. I expect that “real” poi are the traditional Maori long and short poi on cords. While in reality, we swing fire chains, clubs and glowstix.

Umm NYC This site is HEAVILY UK poi influenced both in it's origin and today. I don’t want to detract from the contributions from the UK, but I disagree. Well apart from the obvious clubs swinging influence on UK poi wink because I think you are really under valuing the contributions from Texas smile Boomerangs are a different prop all together, but people do recognise a NZ poi style. And as you keep mentioning and reinforcing a London style, then a London style must exist.

Hi mixinluv2u, if glowstringing definitely has poi roots, then it has clubswinging roots even if you don’t realise it or recognise it wink Anyhow, isn’t glowsticking really stinging?

There are no chains or strings or cords

I’m off to practice “spiders”

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: ...